Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Left of Centre
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not at pres. It's so clean, I think I'll keep it that way. I'm very pleased with its condition - because of our lockdown, I bought it sight unseen in another region and had it shipped in...turned out well.

For a while, I was looking for a W650, thinking to do a tracker or something, but the prices have gone loopy because everyone wants one...I'm happier with this than I was expecting to be.

Bring your helmet!

·
Left of Centre
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a drag racer, mate, that's for sure!

Makes about 50hp, best torque from 2500, so you just ride it in the low to mid-range. Tips into corners nicely, holds a line, feels like it carries the weight low, so is nimble without being flighty, 19" front wheel probably helps there. Good brakes, nice gearbox. Open road sweet spot around 3000rpm / 90km/h.

I like it a lot, but it reminds me of taking an old car for a drive - it'll do what it'll do, and you'll all be happy if you don't ask it for much more than that.

·
Left of Centre
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m thinking it would remind of bikes I rode as a young bloke.
Yep, it would. My older brothers and their mates had Triumphs [Trophy and Trophy Trail], Nortons [Commando and Dominator], BSA Lightning, that kind of thing. This bike is descended from them, in a pretty straight line. Better brakes, no Prince of Darkness electrics, no dribbly carb ticklers...but certainly the same family resemblance. Could be with me for quite a while.

·
McTavish
6,443 Posts
Yep, it would. My older brothers and their mates had Triumphs [Trophy and Trophy Trail], Nortons [Commando and Dominator], BSA Lightning, that kind of thing. This bike is descended from them, in a pretty straight line. Better brakes, no Prince of Darkness electrics, no dribbly carb ticklers...but certainly the same family resemblance. Could be with me for quite a while.
Gotta laugh!
Made me think of my Commando when the kick starter internals broke in late fall, with me riding it to work on afternoon shifts with temps in the low 40s and straight 50 in the sump.
Choke:just so.
Tickle: just so.
Throttle:just so.
Run and bump:just so, the hop on and clutch release especially "just so".
Just so = first try start.
Anything not just so = flooded and a nightmare effort of many run and bumps to get it going.
Mine was a '71, the last year of the front drum brake, which wasn't much of a brake.

·
Left of Centre
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotta laugh!
Made me think of my Commando when the kick starter internals broke in late fall, with me riding it to work on afternoon shifts with temps in the low 40s and straight 50 in the sump.
Choke:just so.
Tickle: just so.
Throttle:just so.
Run and bump:just so, the hop on and clutch release especially "just so".
Just so = first try start.
Anything not just so = flooded and a nightmare effort of many run and bumps to get it going.
Mine was a '71, the last year of the front drum brake, which wasn't much of a brake.
Character-building!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts