Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I finally got around to taking some half-decent pics of the mounted JW Speaker light. The JW mounting solution absolutely would not work - it's meant for Harleys and such, as the back ring is way bigger than the 919's bucket. Turns out all I had to do was bend back the lip on the CB500 item so the JW Speaker would properly fit - you'll see in the pics.

I really, really like how this looks - but most of all, the light at night. You'll see the bike is still dirty - I haven't really cleaned her up since the few night rides I took to test things out, and there's a lot of those little bugs these days. Anyhow, I remember someone saying that the light is so good you basically 'forget' it - it just lights things up where you'd expect/want, and where you're naturally looking. No fuss. The light just 'disappears', in a way. The Morimoto might have been a tad brighter overall but the 8790 is head and shoulders beyond the Morimoto for usability on a bike.

Highly recommended - but I also have to say that I got mine at basically half price seeing as it was a display model.

The latest mods are also on display here : bar end mirrors, tail tidy, LED flashers (with proper relay - flashes at normal speeds), cell mount with wireless charger (wired with 5-pin 12V relay), passenger grab rail plugs (although I'll need to paint the tail itself eventually).

Upcoming : CustomLED taillight, rim stripes, new fender making sure to use proper spacers this time. After that, I think I'll be done for at least a couple of years. =)

Cheers!

·
McTavish
6,375 Posts
Nice work.
There's no question in my mind that a properly configured dedicated motorcycle light unit is the way to go.
And the ancient late '60s into '70s light bucket ring makes it easy.
Some day I must do the same as you have done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
can you share the links where you bought the light from? im looking to do the same on mine as well... any hard wiring or was it plug and play?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can you share the links where you bought the light from? im looking to do the same on mine as well... any hard wiring or was it plug and play?
It was at GP Bikes in Whitby. But I'm not sure this'll be of much use to you as I got their last one. They're not restocking JW Speaker stuff, apparently.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and sorry, forgot to answer your other question : plug and play (other than mounting, of course). Standard H4 connector. The 8790 does have a small red wire for.... Position light, is it...?... that the manual advises be taped off if not used. Child's play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is a gorgeous bike. Do you have any links for the tail tidy you did? I did a similar thing with a GE nighthawk light (truck lite 7") and an old CB 750 internal ring I got off ebay following recommendations here. Makes night riding much less stressful.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a gorgeous bike. Do you have any links for the tail tidy you did? I did a similar thing with a GE nighthawk light (truck lite 7") and an old CB 750 internal ring I got off ebay following recommendations here. Makes night riding much less stressful.
Thank you!

It was actually a shop in Vancouver :

Cheers!

·
Awesomeness, Inc.
14 Posts
Looks great! I haven’t figured out what I want to do for lighting upgrades on mine yet.

I bought a set of those same turn signals but haven’t installed yet. Did you end up drilling a new centered hole in the factory front mounting brackets? I checked it out briefly, it looked like the factory hole is too far back for the turn signal bases to mount neatly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great! I haven’t figured out what I want to do for lighting upgrades on mine yet.

I bought a set of those same turn signals but haven’t installed yet. Did you end up drilling a new centered hole in the factory front mounting brackets? I checked it out briefly, it looked like the factory hole is too far back for the turn signal bases to mount neatly.
The stock turn signal bracket actually has two holes. The one at the back of the bracket is large enough but ends up putting the turns signal too far back in relations to the bracket, causing a mismatched look.

But the front hole is a fair bit too small, so it'll need to be drilled out.

I'll have a Morimoto Sealed7 2.0 for sale shortly ...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts