Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
4 whls good 2 whls better
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:crash:

12 miles into a planned 130-mile run, I'm still in the city (South Seattle), heavy city traffic, I'm just coming off a left turn, not going too fast. I see him, in his beat-up '86 Honda CRX with junkyard body parts, coming away from a convenience store parking lot, and waiting to cut in front of me. He's ~200 feet away. I have correctly assessed him as the #1 danger. I count a couple seconds where he doesn't move, so I figure he's not going to move, and now there's only 100ft between us, so I decide the correct solution is to shoot past him. I accelerate. Bad move, he pulls in front of me with only 50 feet between us, and I'm doing at least 35. But I was watching him, so I thought I was ready for that exact move (because it was what someone trying to kill me would do). Good reaction time, I pull in the clutch and grab a handful of brake. Too much brake, as it happens, the front wheel breaks loose and down I go, instantly. I'm fine, give or take, and the bike's fine, give or take.

Blame assessment:
1/4 - the guy in the $300 zero-budget tunermobile. He had to have been looking right at me and did a bad estimate of my speed. My late acceleration didn't help, as he may have taking an earlier reading and relied on it while looking the other way. Not a very good excuse, especially since he ran away once I crashed. But I wouldn't do more than give him a talking to if I saw him.
1/4 - the Hi-Sport in the front. I didn't grab *that* much fracking brake, the tire wasn't cold, and the road wasn't bad. That tire should've held on.
1/2 - me. I saw the danger clearly while there was plenty of time to do anything I wanted, and I made the wrong damned decision.

Notes/lessons:
1) Thank you, thank you, thank you guys for guilting me into buying some proper leg gear. These mesh First Gear overpants don't have all the protection in the world, but all that shredded mesh would've been skin. The lightweight gloves I had on disintegrated (again, better than losing hand skin), and the cordura sleeves on the jacket pulled up just enough for me to pick up a little rash on my forearm, the kind that'll just heal up on its own.
2) It takes a special kind of man to get up, get back on the bike, and continue his 130-mile run after a thing like that. Specifically, it takes a stupid man. I was so happy to be ok except for what felt like a regular, if big, contusion where I went down on the left knee, and so eager to prove to myself that I'm not really 50 years old (just turned on Wednesday), that I told myself that like riding a horse, I should just get back on right away. It took another 40 miles before my hip and ankle convinced me I'd torqued the whole left leg, and I should probably be nice to it for a few days, at very least. I limped home after picking up some non-disintegrated gloves. I can barely walk on the ankle.
3) The Honda flyscreen performs very well as protection for the instrument cluster. Everything should have a purpose.
4) Don't anybody be dis'ing black folk around me. Nicest people in the world. Coming out of every car and business to help me and make sure I was ok. The guy who helped me pick up the bike was a gem, and all folks should be like this guy.

The bike is basically fine. Replacement tank (eBay) on its way. Need a new left stator cover. I see some CBR900RR covers on eBay for $85. Is that a good price, and will it fit? I'll do a fender elimination, because replacing the goofy directionals seems stupid, and the other scratches (underseat, stock muffler shield) can wait.

I'm thinking some frame sliders are in my future, too.

·
STR-III
4,989 Posts
glad you had gear on and are okay. I recommend Givi crash bars if you can get them. Post pics of the ragged out gear.

·
919>food>beer
1,151 Posts
Sucks to hear about the down, but good on ya for wearing the gear and hoping right back on the saddle!

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad you had gear on and are okay. I recommend Givi crash bars if you can get them. Post pics of the ragged out gear.
I'll look for Givi bars, seems like I'd have to have them welded on? Still, might be a thing to do.

Images are attached. They're not terribly dramatic - not worthy of "Wear your gear!" lessons, anyway. On the pants, the knee point is abraded through above the kevlar pad, which is cleverly situated to protect my shin (not over the knee at all). They're ugly but I could use them again until I get something better. The gloves have holes in most of the fingers now, and one of the velcro straps is about to fall off, so they're the only thing that really needed instant replacement. The cordura jacket is pretty much fine, and I can't see much of a mark on on the boots, either.

I had a company computer in my knapsack, and my body apparently provided excellent shock absorption and abrasion protection for that - it's fine.

I'll post pics of the bike damage if anybody cares, but it's not like you've never seen a rashed tank or a scratched-up stator cover before.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Sorry about the spill Starman. Sounds like you did a great post crash analysis. All we can do is learn from it and move on. Good luck getting the bike back in shape. Take it easy for a bit and heal up.

Oh and kudos for posting this. We all can learn from it.:thumbup1:

·
h8tenhogs
215 Posts
hope you heal up soon .ice can be your buddy for a while.I had an almost incident myself today.You know the people who take their foot off the gas before the turn signal then brake before the turn signal .oh what the hell why even use a turn signal lets just stop in the middle of a single lane road:censored:I wish you could shoot at people:banghead:Must have been looking at the guys lawn you know something more important than driving.My friend rides a klr 650 he wears moto boots and kicks cars.again sorry to hear about your missfortune today get well soon

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How are your handlebars?

I recommend Motovation frame sliders.
I'll check out those frame sliders.

As for the handlebars, I need a new bar end on the left when I get around to it, and I think I have to reseat the mirrors or something (they're both hard to align usefully now), or I might take the opportunity to replace them with the ones for the Tuono. Otherwise, the bars are fine.

If the leg is up to it, maybe I'll find a parking lot somewhere tomorrow and practice hard braking. I still don't see how the front tire could get loose with that much brake.

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Body/bike position & too much tire pressure.
I checked the pressure before I went out, and it was 32 front/40 rear. Actually, since I'm a big guy, I ought to run it closer to the stock 36 in front, shouldn't I?

The bike was in a straight line, but like I said, I was accelerating, so the front would've been a bit lighter than usual. Maybe the forks were close to extension, and forcing them to maximum compression so suddenly could be a factor in breaking it loose.

But I'm not an expert by any stretch, so I'm here to learn.

·
Self proclaimed idiot....
765 Posts
That is a bich of a laydown... Glad you are ok..

I have been loose like that, It's not about fault, it's about being able to wake up the next day and eventually let the angst go and just enjoy a ride.

Regardless of age or ability, you need to get back on and ride your butt off..

I also have the Motovation sliders. It's a little work and drilling but it's worth it..

I just want to know what you warriors wear over a pair of jeans..

·
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
3,909 Posts
The first mistake, obviously, was the hard acceleration.
A better choice of action would of been to try to be in the left lane.If their is one.
Having that amount of time to assess the situation you should of put yourself in a safer spot in traffic.
If thats not a option, to continue at a slower & safe pace until you pass the threat, keeping an eye on him at all times.
I have even pointed at threats like him to get his attention & keep him at the curb.
Having a calm attitude while riding is paramount.
A little dodge to the left & split the lane between him & the car next to you would of been a better choice also.
Slamming on the brakes could also cause an inattentive driver to run into you from behind as well.

I'm a big guy too. 6'4" 250+, I run 32F 36R for daily commuting. 28-30F 34R when playing in the canyons.
I dive the front end hard allot & I even lift the rear a little & have never had a bike wash out the front.
Body position & body English plays a big part in bike control.

You were also still in town so any oil,sand,dirt,water,moisture,etc. could of contributed to your downfall. Most likely.
Was the bike leaning to the left at all, when you grabbed a handful of brake?
Sometimes thats all it takes.
I pushed the stock tires & ran them bald without any issues other than fast wear & head wobble.
Many people blame the tires & choose ignore the real cause, Their ability's.

Riding in the street is a challenge on many levels. People are just one of the challenges that think, or don't think. The rest you can compensate for.

Glad to hear you had the proper state of mind & you survived without much injury.
We will work on the decision making.
Don't over think it.Your ahead of most riders out there, Just get back on and enjoy your ride.

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A better choice of action would of been to try to be in the left lane.If their is one. Having that amount of time to assess the situation you should of put yourself in a safer spot in traffic.
My description was lacking. Going to the left would've been into oncoming traffic and even then he would've hit me head-on. I'm attaching a cheap diagram of the situation.

I didn't have any issues with any other traffic. I had lots of time once I spotted him. I could've done anything, including pulling over to the side of the road. I just ran out of time when he started moving. My choice worked poorly with his choice.

I'm a big guy too. 6'4" 250+, I run 32F 36R for daily commuting. 28-30F 34R when playing in the canyons.
Ok, I'll let a little air out.

You were also still in town so any oil,sand,dirt,water,moisture,etc. could of contributed to your downfall. Most likely.
Was the bike leaning to the left at all, when you grabbed a handful of brake?
Sometimes thats all it takes.
My left turn was long since completed. If I was leaned at all, it was due to a camber in the road, and I don't remember it. It's possible that grabbing brake could've caused an inadvertent steer (and that would explain falling on the left), but I didn't feel panic when braking, so I really don't think I got my shoulder into it.

It's hard to piece back together because the mind goes into an odd state (painless, thankfully) when you go down.

Don't over think it.Your ahead of most riders out there, Just get back on and enjoy your ride.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
My friends call me Bill
1,893 Posts
been there (diagram), braked real hard, my front wheel chirped when i brought the clutch in, and i happen to glance in my left mirror and all i saw was my helmet (i was fixin to do a lazy left, and got caught off guard). sounds weird, im thinking my bar was cranked left. happened so damned fast, thinking about it hurts my head. checking my air pressure today.

·
orange
9,193 Posts
Glad you're ok other than a banged up leg, my 50th bday is coming up all too soon and I probably would have done the same thing with trying to continue my ride just to prove I'm not old damn it! Excellent write up and description of your accident, I think it's cool that you've got the incident all broken down and analyzed, definitely a learning experience.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts