Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an 04 919 , missing a foot peg , mirrors, looks like guy had cheap bar end mirrors that are gone , yoshi exhaust . Anyway I love it ! Just feels right when I ride it , love the sound , I recently sold an 09 Fz1 (nice bike ) , and I was wondering what tires are good for this bike ? I am changing the oil tomorrow, cleaned and lubed the chain (needs to be tightened) and want to put in new brake pads (any suggestions?) also what are some good frame sliders ?

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Howdy and welcome aboard! Good lookin bike you have there. How many miles?
The silver ones are the fastest...lol
Here's some frame sliders

I've been using these pads for a long time. They work fine for my riding habits and they're easy on the rotors...ymmv

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awsome I just got my 1st naked bike after just about all other kind of rides. Its so light. Good group of folks here. Very helpful.
Working through the silly PO kid problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much ! I will look into the sliders and the pads . I want to make this bike safe and fun without breaking the bank . I have to get threads out of the handlebars where the old/broken handlebar ends mirrors where , not really quite sure how to do that. Since the bars will be open when the old threads and broken hardware from mirrors are removed .I purchased some weighted bar ends $24.00 and they came with an Allen head bolt but the threads don’t match up with threads in the bar . Guy form e bay was really nice and sent me a set of bar end expanders . Also bought factory replacement stock mirrors but also ordered some mirror exstensions/risers .I don’t feel like changing to much on the bike, just tweaking little things here and there . I like to keep some things factory . But I do like the Yosh exhaust, sounds really good,replacement pegs, (e bay) like the regular foot pegs . They look identical for $21.00 . Want to look into tires and maybe a small windscreen , I have 2 that I like .oh and maybe a chain , the one that’s on now was rusted , I cleaned , lubed , and waxed , much better but i am not crazy about it . I have to adjust it as it has to much slack . Thank again , seems like a nice bunch of people , very welcoming. Appreciate it .

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
I have to get threads out of the handlebars where the old/broken handlebar ends mirrors where , not really quite sure how to do that.
Find a bolt about two or three inches long which matches the threads on the old mirrors and and finger tighten it in. Clamp the bolt with a pair of vise grips and drive the old stuff out. Or, take something and drive them in far enough for your new stuff to clear. I use eBay bar end mirrors and have been faced with this almost every time one gets broken.

I'm diggin that Road King...used to ride a Shovelhead back in the day

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Find a bolt about two or three inches long which matches the threads on the old mirrors and and finger tighten it in. Clamp the bolt with a pair of vise grips and drive the old stuff out. Or, take something and drive them in far enough for your new stuff to clear. I use eBay bar end mirrors and have been faced with this almost every time one gets broken.

I'm diggin that Road King...used to ride a Shovelhead back in the day
Thanks so much for the advice I will try that , I also just did the oil change , I added oil to the new filter , swiped the o ring on the filter with a drop of oil , but as I added the oil it was hard to tell the level . It was actually over the top line , then I had a friend get in the bike abs level it and had him start it and watched the level go down until you really can’t see it . When we shut bike down it went to being I between the acceptable lines a little towards the higher one . So I am good right ? The bike is so thankful the oil was extremely dark and looked like it was overdue .

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
The capacity is 3.8 qts with oil and filter change, so that's about 3 qts and 25 oz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The capacity is 3.8 qts with oil and filter change, so that's about 3 qts and 25 oz.
I got the old threads out of the handlebars , one I used a bolt like you recommended the other one I actually got out with pliers . I installed the bar ends , they look good . I ordered the brake pads and I am thinking about a new chain , one on there was pretty rusted up . I cleaned it up but still has a little rust , any recommendations on chains ? Is it worth to do the sprockets ? Thanks again

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
If the chain is within the adjustment limits, I'd get the rear wheel off the ground and roll the chain around looking and feeling for any frozen links. If it's an O-ring chain, the rust should be superficial. How many miles are on your bike?
If you replace the chain, you def need to replace the sprockets, as well. Failure to do so will cause premature wear to the chain.
Talking about the best chains will generate conversations almost as lively as those discussing the best oil...
I run an EK 530 ZVX3 with 17/42 sprockets.
Many here have went to a 520 conversion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the chain is within the adjustment limits, I'd get the rear wheel off the ground and roll the chain around looking and feeling for any frozen links. If it's an O-ring chain, the rust should be superficial. How many miles are on your bike?
If you replace the chain, you def need to replace the sprockets, as well. Failure to do so will cause premature wear to the chain.
Talking about the best chains will generate conversations almost as lively as those discussing the best oil...
I run an EK 530 ZVX3 with 17/42 sprockets.
Many here have went to a 520 conversion
What do you recommend that will enable me to get bike off the ground , I see those type of stands that go under either rear or front wheels , I guess you have to add adapters spindles ? The chain looks original, there is 9,360 miles on the bike , I think still has enough life in it that I can adjust it . Seems like people always change sprockets, up or down a tooth , bike feels fine to me though . I don’t know what that conversion is I will research, I guess overall lighter weight ? Thanks again …oh the factory mirrors came in today ! 👍

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Personally, I won't have a street bike without a center stand. For the price of spindles and stands, you can have this and have it with you all the time. Indispensable, in my book. Changing tires, chain maintenance, fixing flats in the middle of BFE, or anything else you're doing to the bike. Rock-solid platform.
My bike had 8540 mi on it when I picked it up. All original. The 150 mi ride back from Dallas convinced me to up the stock (16/43) gearing- buzzy af.
Changed both sprockets (running the old chain) and went another 12K, but new chain and sprockets weren't a financial hurdle at the time, so I didn't gaf. YMMV
Is the sticker for the chain adjustment limit still on your bike?
Pics?

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
If your chain appears to be within the adjustment limits, I'd lube it and ride it. Save your $ for tires, a center stand or braided lines, for now.

Reactions: mcromo44

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
20171014_165013.jpg
The silver ones are the fastest...lmao

Reactions: LDH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your chain appears to be within the adjustment limits, I'd lube it and ride it. Save your $ for tires, a center stand or braided lines, for now.
. So I readjusted the chain , i feel I made it to tight , loosened it up a bit , lines each side up to 4 notches on back adj scale . My “factory “ mirrors came in and they don’t thread on at all !!?? 😑 I ordered some mirror risers/extenders that I will see if they bolt up to them as they said they have 10mm and 8mm thread sizes . I have no idea but before I send mirrors back I will wait for them to come in . Like your idea about the centerstand and I am going to order it .

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
The mirrors are missing some parts...

Kinda hard to tell, but that rear sprocket looks OK. Pull the cover and take a look at the counter sprocket. Lots of good chain adjustment input on this site. Take a look around

1 - 20 of 23 Posts