Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long day.
Perfect weather, great people, lots of fun to be had...
Until about 2:30'ish when Carlos decided he'd had enough of a beautiful bike and brand new leathers and gave her some battle scars.

Nobody can give a good account of what happened but somewhere between t11-t12 he evidently tucked the front wheel and lowsided. He took a pretty good hit to the head, bruised up torso with abrasion rash, and tore up the tip of a finger. Onsite medical thought it best to get him to a hospital, county medical chose to lifeflight him to Gainesville. He'll spend tonight in the trauma ward awaiting catscan results but he's fine, fully coherent and lucid. Mom drive up to spend the night with him and I just got home and am heading for a shower and bed.

Just at a real loss to understand what happened. I'd just passed him on the outside with a drive off t11 and there was a waving red by the time I got to start/finish. Traffic was stopped at t9 when I came around and looked around for him in the pack, but he wasn't there. So I took off for t12 to see for myself. It was a definite lowside, the damage tells most of the story, we just don't know why he tucked the front. Guess it doesnt really matter right now.

He'll post up when he gets home and feels up to it. S**t happens, going to need some Ducati parts. :)

As if that wasn't enough, 40 miles north of Gainesville one of the trailer tires disintegrated and forced a roadside swap (of course the spare was flat too). Thanks to Mike & crew, Brad & crew and everyone else who helped me get packed up. I don't think I was paying very good attention to what I was doing at the moment but your help was/is appreciated. All is well, he'll be fine. Once he's back to 100% his mom will kick his a$$ for the next 6 months and I'll rub his head for good luck.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
That sucks. Heal up Carlos.
I had a buddy toss a brand new (421 miles) 600 RR in that corner. High sided and put in the air onto it's tail. Like he says, gives em character. He used it as an opportunity to mod it for track only. Still sucks to see a nice bike go down.

·
Quitting is for Quitters!
1,798 Posts
I'm glad he is OK! Hector (gixxer1k) came to get me right away when he heard it was Carlos. I'm glad he'll be home soon.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Poor kid! I know he was enjoying it out there too, he always had a big smile on his face when he came back in from one of the sesssions.

I am glad that he is ok and will be coming home today!! Tell him to rest and whatnot so he can get back on the bike :D

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
One of the worst times for your first trackday... late in the day... lots of confidence... Been there done that! Although I was lucky enough to skip the helicopter ride!

Post aftermath pics if you can....

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
Key-kay, Key-kay, Key-kay, Key-kay?

That is horrible! The good news is that you got to do your first track day and helicopter ride all in one day! From Kevin's account it sounds like you will be sore for a long time. Heal up well and take you time. I think Kevin would love the opportunity to wait on you hand and foot. After all, it was his idea, right?:devil:

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Teardown complete - not too bad. Looks like we'll need:
Clutch lever
shifter lever and footpeg
left clipon and controls
new bodywork

then a new helmet and new jacket & gloves if he wants to keep riding. If not then we'll see the fate of the bike...

trackbike for me - woohoo!

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
jetblast10 said:
Teardown complete - not too bad. Looks like we'll need:
Clutch lever
shifter lever and footpeg
left clipon and controls
new bodywork

then a new helmet and new jacket & gloves if he wants to keep riding. If not then we'll see the fate of the bike...

trackbike for me - woohoo!
Not too bad??? New bodywork... $$$

G

·
Hope you heal up soon Carlos. Hope your mom doesn't get too mad at Kev (and me).

Other than a few get off's, it was a great day. Thanks to everyone for showing up.

Thanks Kev for the great CR job. And thanks a lot for the job on the hoodies. I'll post up pics soon.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update - Carlos is home and doing just fine. A little bruised with a tore up finger but all else is well.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He hasn't really decided, probably too early for him to really think about it. At the minimum we'll get the bike fixed up and go from there.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
It's ok... if he doesn't feel like riding again I'll give him $20 for the bike.

See... I don't go to the track day and all hell breaks loose.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Carlos, if you now start rolling your fingers and misplacing your jacket, don't worry, it wasn't the knock on the 'ol noggin, it might just run in the family.:001_tt2:

Just kidding, hope you are feeeling better!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Like Kevin said I bumped my head pretty hard and was out cold for about 5 minutes. Worst thing that happen to me though is I tore the nail off of my left ring finger. Catscan came back and said I have a brain. :yes:

I'm happy to say that I will ride again. The only problem is that the family has decided I can no longer ride on the street. So I guess the Ducati will now be a track bike. I was scheduled to ride at the Rogue track day at Barber, and still plan on making it. :thumbup1:

As for the accident...I really don't know what happened. I remember coming out of 11 and got on the throttle like I had done before. Kevin passed me on the outside, and blank. Next thing I know I'm in the ambulance, and they are saying they want to fly me to Gainesville. I kind of wish I remebered what happened, so that I could correct it for the future. :oops:

Hopefully I can get everything fixed and go to Jennings one more time before Barber. If not oh well. Again I appreciate everyones concern. Hope to see you all at the next track day. :punk:

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm prepared to go on record now and publicly absolve Carlos of any wrongdoing in my opinion.

Other facts have come to light that indicate the event went down something like this: we'll call Carlos Rider A, me rider B, the guy behind me rider C and the F4 rider D...
Out of turn 11 I setup the drive to pass Carlo in 12. On my rear wheel was rider C and behind him was rider D. I passed Carlos on the outside of t12, then rider C passed Carlos on the inside of 12. Rider D on the F4 initiated a pass on the inside between 12 and 13 but did not get far enough to show Carlos a wheel. Carlos setup for 13 and he and rider D made contact. Not sure where the bikes touched, if it was fairing to fairing or wheel to wheel but rider D should not have been in a blind spot. If he couldn't complete the pass or show a wheel he should've backed off and given space.

In a race I'd have a different opinion. But this wasn't a race, it was a trackday designed to accommodate track newbies. So although nobody is looking to place blame or fault or anything like that, it's important to take 2 things from the experience.

1. Hold your line. Don't change it.
2. If you can't show the rider you're passing a wheel then you don't have a clean pass in the works and should back out.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
How'd you come to that conclusion Sherlock?

Sure it wasn't a handful of front brake...

or Pixie Dust?!

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
posts on Jennings website, advrider website, eyewiteness accounts and a few private messages, Holmes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts