Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
m51142 said:
Seems like the boys over at Yamaha were doing a little creative marketing hype.
Motorcycle Daily

Hmmmmmm, wonder if you can get a refund for false advertisement?

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!

16,200 is still pretty high! No excuse for false advertisign though!

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
I'm just not surprised. IMHO Yamaha has always targeted squids with their advertising for streetbikes. I'm not commenting on their racing efforts only the way they market their streetbikes. Remember the R1 commercial from a few years ago with the whole matrix style, explosions, backflipping girls, baratone voiceover "In a world where power and beauty reign supreme..." - it's just squidly. Yes, the bikes rock, but how they view their target customer by choosing an advertising campaign tells me alot about the mentality of their marketing department.

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
I thought those ads were tounge in cheek. Oh well, another board I visit has about 3 flamefests going on about the redline "bait and switch".

I'm just glad they're all picking on the R6 instead of Honda this year.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,607 Posts
Hey, think of it this way. Your new R6 isn't gonna wear out as fast as you might think!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Didn't the Kawi 6RR have the same "problem" with their tachometer? Seems to me it was also reading a good deal higher than the motor was actually turning.

Oh, and I'm with JB on the marketing of Yamaha's sportbikes. They're trying to sell to the 14 year old boy in all of us.

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
if i were lookin at a new 600 class track bike, hype or not...i'm thinkin this would be it but my next buy is liter sized :D

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
angela155 said:
If I have a 14 year old boy in me, I've got some serious problems! :D
Not if your a priest in Massachusetts.:eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's too bad , they really have built a state of the art bike and didnt need to make a false claim on the redline, hey 16K is pretty darn high in itself. Bike looks hot and from all the test reports I've read is right there at the leading edge. However, the '06 Gix6 is developing more HP right up until you scream that little R6 puppy and up to 8HP more in the midsection than the Yamaha. Cant wait for the comparison tests, with the 675 and the 636R out there in addition to these two screamers should be the year of the 600. Too bad about the advertising though, shot themselves in the foot and they didnt need to.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My dream buy one of those Yamaha Grand Pianos you occasionally see parked in the executive lounge at the airport or high end hotel which plays off a CD, they run anywhere from $30K to $50K. No redline to worry about.

Seriously Yamaha built the R6 as a race bike, the dyno's show no midrange, on the street it'll get eaten for lunch but on the track as long as you can leave it screaming over 10k it should be a nice ride.
Looks like the Gix6 may win by acclimation this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts