Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Enormous member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following editorial appeared in the South Bend Tribune on January 18:

Protect yourself or pay the consequences

Common sense and personal responsibility are declining these days. In their place, blaming others for your misfortunes is pervasive. The Tribune is promoting this concept with headlines like "Son died because of phone" (Dec. 26).
A van driver illegally pulled out in front of a motorcyclist. The van driver was talking on a cell phone at the time. The cyclist was killed in the accident.
There is no question the van driver caused the accident, but the motorcycle rider is largely responsible for the severity of his injuries and subsequent death. Common sense should tell people that if they are going to share the streets with other vehicles weighing several thousand pounds, then they should have some sheet metal around them. An error by another driver is a constant threat whenever and whatever you drive. A smart person would protect himself with a similarly sized vehicle. People can't depend on the law to protect them; they must do it themselves or face the consequences.
Cell phones or not, accidents will still happen. Unfortunately, there are no fender benders with motorcycles.
My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the victim's family over this tragedy, but please don't put all the blame for his death on the other driver or a cell phone. Unfortunately, I see this scenario all too often in my profession.

Dr. William Rozzi
Orthopedic and trauma surgeon
South Bend
I wrote to the South Bend Tribune pointing out that this guys' a maroon, and to the Medical Licensing Board of Indiana asking that he be barred from practicing in an emergency room situation where he might decide to practice some social engineering on motorcyclists.

·
Love Machine
366 Posts
I don't get the south bend tribune, but i did see this on the new. I'm an hour east of south bend. Wonder what this guy would say if a child got hit crossing the street with a person talking on a cell phone. Cell phone or not, people don't see us. We have to learn to watch out for them. And they need to watch out for things besides other cars and trucks.

Gee, guess he dosent' have a bike....lol..

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
Unfreakin believable.
I know quite a few doctors, my wife has worked at the local hospital for 10 years in both administration and as a surgeons assitant. It's hard to believe how stupid some of these guys are. I know the belief that they represent the height of human intelligence has been fostered on us...but I can tell you it ain't so. Yes some of them are very bright. Most are just average intelligence but with the money to go to med school. Almost all are one trick ponies...they can be extremely uninformed about anything but their job and how they like their favorite drink. In fact a whole lot of them don't even know their jobs that well.
That said, I've had some sharp docs work on me...saved me a world of hurt in the long run.
That bastard that wrote the letter is pissed cause he's an elistist dick that feels he should have the right to talk on a cell phone while driving just because "I'm a doctor".
Freakin chump.
JohnnyB

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
Throw in a bit of that god complex, and you're got a real sweetheart. Drag the AMA, the local LEO riding assn's in and all the rest. My wife's also in health so I second what JB has down here.

Lots of ***** people out there, OK to run them down because they never should have left ****, or jaywalkers because they're already breaking the law? Maybe OK to plow a car through a patio on a bar because cigarettes and alcohol aren't something a smart person would do? And we all know it's OK to kill stupid people because well they're stupid, if you were so smart you'd have gotten out of my SUV's way.

JohnnyB said:
Unfreakin believable.
I know quite a few doctors, my wife has worked at the local hospital for 10 years in both administration and as a surgeons assitant. It's hard to believe how stupid some of these guys are. I know the belief that they represent the height of human intelligence has been fostered on us...but I can tell you it ain't so. Yes some of them are very bright. Most are just average intelligence but with the money to go to med school. Almost all are one trick ponies...they can be extremely uninformed about anything but their job and how they like their favorite drink. In fact a whole lot of them don't even know their jobs that well.
That said, I've had some sharp docs work on me...saved me a world of hurt in the long run.
That bastard that wrote the letter is pissed cause he's an elistist dick that feels he should have the right to talk on a cell phone while driving just because "I'm a doctor".
Freakin chump.
JohnnyB

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
WOW! I am speechless. So, I guess we should now manufacture crash cages around out bikes. Wait... we already have that, they are called stunters.

Is this guy of his rocker? They motorcylist is LARGELY responsible for his own death? What? He sent a telepathic message to the driver to pull out in front of him? The man quoteth common sense, but he is moron - pure and simple.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,607 Posts
Takes many to make the World turn

Hey Papa! Have you healed up, BTW???????

Ya, the Doc and his fam drift off to Vail every year for a little R&R with a bunch of like minded proffesional numbskulls and share pitty stories about the uneducated masses of youngsters being slaughtered on todays highways. You bet he will sue the Phone carrier, the resort, the safety crew, the USGS, the Colorado Highway Patrol, the Tampon manufacturer, the pine tree that his daughter hit and the squirrell in the pine tree that his daughter hit while she was gabbing whith Trixie while shushing down the slopes.

My advice: "Doc, stop pontificating and fix those under your care"

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Hopefully soon a van driver talking on his cell phone kills his wife and kids.

Lets see how he feels then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts