Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I've read many topic on this subject, however I'm not 100% clear of what parts are required for the swapping of the stock front fork on a CB919 with an RC51 (a.k.a VTR1000). In particular I find it difficult to search the various parts mentioned in the posts.

However, I found a website in my country that seems to be selling all parts for a RC51 fork and I would like your feedback to know if that is all I need for my swap.
Here is the link to the website: https://nutjob.ie/honda-genuine-par...tion=Front+Fork&page=1&limit=20&sort=featured

Please let me know if I'm missing something (e.g. need to buy other parts).

Thanks 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I'm a Computer Scientist and I hate summing all prices, I scraped the website above and made a list in excel. Is this all I need?

Wrenchin
The top two parts are the complete fork assemblies, one left and one right. The rest of the parts are what makes up the assemblies. You will also need to change out the triple tree assembly to work with the new forks. If you use the RC51 triples, you have to have the stem from the 919 triple pressed into the RC51 lower triple so it will bolt onto your bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The top two parts are the complete fork assemblies, one left and one right. The rest of the parts are what makes up the assemblies. You will also need to change out the triple tree assembly to work with the new forks. If you use the RC51 triples, you have to have the stem from the 919 triple pressed into the RC51 lower triple so it will bolt onto your bike.
Hi Toybuilder,
When you say that the top two parts are the complete fork assemblies, you mean that they includes all necessary parts or I would still need to buy them all from the list?
Re the triple tree assembly, are those the parts that I need? https://nutjob.ie/honda-genuine-par...n=Steering Stem&page=1&limit=20&sort=featured

Finally, given the price, I was wondering if it won't be smarter to get some Ohlins suspension instead for just over 20 grands. Do you know which Ohlins would fit my bike instead?

Wrenchin
Yes, the top two part numbers are complete forks. All the parts listed below that are what make them up. You only would need to get the lower parts if you were repairing damaged forks, or doing maintenance.
The triple tree assembly that you linked is just the lower half. You would also need the upper triple clamp as well.
Either way you will need to change the triple tree (upper and lower) to put USD forks on the 919.
The Ohlins or any other USD forks are going to need to be setup for your specific bike, as the 919 is heavier than most bikes using USD forks.
Another option would be to used a triple tree from a CB1000 R. It has the correct stem in it to mount to the 919. You can then use a few different forks. Some will need shims in the lower clamp (RC51). Others like the forks from a CB100R or VFR1200F go in without shims and are the correct length to match the originals.
No matter which way you go, it will not be a simple job. Some modifications will always need to be done. Mostly, re-valving and re-springing the new forks to fit the 919.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will also end up changing front axle, brakes, and wheel to work with your new forks.
Oh ok, this may be a waste since my brakes, and front wheel are in perfect conditions... So either way I'll have to change them?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also when you say that I need to replace the upper triple clamp, do you also mean the whole handlebar?

Wrenchin
Odds are high that you will have to change them (axle, brakes & wheels) to work with the new forks, if you change to USD style.
As far as the triple tree, if you look carefully at your bike you will see that the triple is comprised of 2 main parts. The lower triple, which has the stem pressed into it, and the upper triple that the bars are mounted to. Both parts clamp onto the forks to keep them in place. So, if you change to USD forks, both have to be changed as they are the wrong size and the new USD forks will not go into them.

Registered
Hi there,
I've read many topic on this subject, however I'm not 100% clear of what parts are required for the swapping of the stock front fork on a CB919 with an RC51 (a.k.a VTR1000). In particular I find it difficult to search the various parts mentioned in the posts.

However, I found a website in my country that seems to be selling all parts for a RC51 fork and I would like your feedback to know if that is all I need for my swap.
Here is the link to the website: https://nutjob.ie/honda-genuine-par...tion=Front+Fork&page=1&limit=20&sort=featured

Please let me know if I'm missing something (e.g. need to buy other parts).

Thanks 馃檪
[/QUOTe

I used a complete front end from a 2007 CBR1000RR. The only issue is that you have to length the stem 20mm. You can either have one made or modify the stock 919 stem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts