Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought an 07 919 today, and trying to work out the problems with it. I don't know much about it's history, the PO passed and it's been sitting for at least a year. Just getting started, I don't appear to have power. I've got another bike that I took the battery off of to test on this, so the battery is a good known quantity, but turning the ignition switch I've got nothing, no lights, no cluster info, etc. Don't hear fuel pump or any other noises to indicate a problem. I checked all fuses in the main panel along with the 30a (not the spare too). The 30 amp was blown so I swapped it out with the spare that Honda provides. Beyond that I've looked over the wiring harness where I can see, the kill switch doesn't appear to be corroded, and I don't see any loose or disconnected wires. I will say the relays under the seat look pretty crusty from the outside, so I'm going to order replacements there just because, but any suggestions on what to look or where to go? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ehhh, well got it sorted, turns out the spare fuse was also super crusty, checked it with a multimeter and it intermittently looked fine, scraped it off and I've got power. Now to get the tank drained and clean out that garbage fuel. I can't unlock the tank either, anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the cap with it locked?

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
Your ignition switch and tank lock aren't keyed alike?

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,696 Posts
DID YOU TRY JIGGLING THE KEY IN THE TANK LOCK WHILE TRYING TO TURN THE KEY?

fucking caps...................................

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
The gasket on the gas cap will stick to the tank if it hasn't been opened in a while. WD40. Liberally.
If the key is operating the lock, just turn it to the right and gently pry up on the edge of the cap closest to the front of the bike. Gently

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
Bout time for some pics, waffle...

Reactions: Krompot

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
Don't get discouraged. Just remember that these bikes are selling for $6500 CAD...You're sitting on a gold mine :whistle:

Reactions: Krompot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not discouraged, I knew this was going to take a bit of time to get up again, but it seemed mechanically solid! Plus I managed to snag it at $1650. Besides, all my discouragement is reserved for the other bike in one of these pictures ;) (j/k, the 919 is so I stop rushing on that side and properly sort that one out).

I think there's something stuck at the bottom of the lock for the gas cap, that or it is not keyed to it. The key wasn't going in all the way in, and it being my only key I didn't want to force it. I may just drill it, maybe I'll go take a look again. I only have 1 key so I don't want to be too risky there. And that key does fit ignition switch and seat lock, but not in the gas cap lock, seems too lose for how far it will go, then stops short of fully inserted.

Haven't taken much for pictures yet, but here's what I've got

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
This is full insertion.

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
Besides, all my discouragement is reserved for the other bike in one of these pictures ;) (j/k, the 919 is so I stop rushing on that side and properly sort that one out).
That Yamaha is a rare bird. They only made 8,000 of em.

Reactions: wafflenator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Linky
Well that’s exciting, swapped the pump out after cleaning up the tank most of the way.
Found a few outstanding things. Have no rear brakes currently, so going to need to check that out, and front brakes don’t trigger the taillight. But it’s a running bike! Ordered a new bulb for the cluster too.

I think I saw an idle adjustment screw in there by the injectors, is that right? Looks like without the choke it’s trying to idle way too low.

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
Now I have evidence.
You ARE a Gutter Guy! LoLs
Um, I said, 'insertion'. You prolly read, 'penetration'.
Dirty old man.
lmao

Reactions: mcromo44

·
Wanna free cat?
1,020 Posts
No, I read insertion. One is not possible without the other.
Yes, but you have to admit there is some connotation, hence your previous reply... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts