Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I’ve got a pretty big project but not a very big mechanical brain. Any advice or tips would be helpful, and I’ll be sure to share my build as it goes along.
Ive got a 2002 Honda 919 that I’m swapping the front end With a 2007 GSXR 750. Wheels, forks, top clamp, the whole 9. A few issues I need to work out. from What I’ve read, I need either a conversion stem and bearings to fit this. I ordered a conversion stem kit from cognitomoto.com , only to later find out that it’s meant for a 1982 CB900F - not a 2002. Would this still work though? I don’t know the dimensions of all the stems, hard to find. But if the steering stem tube on the frame is the same size on the 2002 then the 1982, I don’t see where I’d have problems.
I’m also swapping the headlight and tachometer/speedometer. I’ve ordered a fork mounted headlight with integrated turn signals, and that sounds pretty straight forward to install. Anyone have any experience installing the tachometer? I hear that you have to tap into the gas and the cooling system, sounds like a major pain in the arse. The only other things is remounting the ignition, which seems straight forward. Working on a design to mount it to the exposed part of the frame.

I’ll post pictures if I get any advice, or figure out anything helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

that’s the stem and bearings I ordered. Will it fit in the 2002?

·
Left of Centre
4,011 Posts
I think these folks used to be the go-to guys for replacement 919 stems - they might know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think these folks used to be the go-to guys for replacement 919 stems - they might know.

Thanks but I actually ended up ordering a custom stem and bearings from cognitomoto. Ran we about 200$, which is a lot, but really not too bad, plus they’ve been very active and helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: don’t try to use wooden pallets to stand your motorcycle. Thought it was secure, and about 5 minutes later I found my bike sideways with a massive dent in the tank. Gotta repaint the whole thing. Anyways, stem will be here on Monday, got the GSXR front end, some new handlebars, and a turn signal headlight to mount on the forks. Still gotta figure out how to hook that up.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
still need to install mirrors and a speedometer, as well as a few touch ups but I really like how this turned out. I do not recommend a front end swap for people who are inexperienced with bike work. This project has drained my energy for the past few months, and I wish I could say it was fun, but it was more stressful then anything. If anyone has any questions about what needed to be done, I’ll try to answer the best I can. And any recommendations for performance or aesthetic upgrades are welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts