Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panasonic PT-AE900U

Ok, I am now using an InFocus projector that kind of blows... I shouldn't say that, since I'm borrowing it from a guy at work. Anyways, I need my OWN projector. I really like the one I linked here. 5500:1 contrast ratio and 720P, and has a DVI-D hookup. That's the things that makes it look neato to me. Plus I can get it for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. And Moto probably can do better, or knows of better... so I better ask here before I buy one and get called an asshat 15 times in a sentence.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Those dont have tuners if Im not mistaken so you know you'll have to go thru your vcr? i think anyway :)

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Which InFocus projector are you referring to? Are you comparing apples to apples?

First off, what is the lighting like in your room, and what kind of gain do you have on your screen? Its not a very bright projector, from what I have heard is that the projector is not as bright as the 1100 lumens it advertises, closer to the 600 range. If you have a lot of light in your room, and not a higher gain screen, you might have a problem. I will make a call to one of my distributors tomorrow, see if I can get it. Most good projectors are 720P.

I just installed a InFocus SP7210 this week, talk about good picture. Although its quite a bit pricier, uses a Mustang chip.

XFBO, home theater projectors do not have tuners built in, they are just projecting what video is fed to them. A VCR tape is the last thing you want to play through a projector and a large screen.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
Wow, that's not cheap. I've been thinking about a projector too but something more around $1500. I don't have a problem with too much light, but I do watch a LOT of tv so I'm somewhat worried that I'll end up replacing the bulb every year. Thoughts Moto?

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This projector will not be a problem in my setup. The InFocus one that I am using now has a much much lower contrast ration and is 800 lumens, I think. I don't know the model number at the moment but I know the guy borrowing it to me bought it 2 years ago for $850. It's DLP. I don't remember the gain of my screen, I want to say 2? Don't hold me to that.

CMulford, what if I told you that this 'supposedly' $3200 projector could be had for a few hundred under your $1500 price tag? From a reputable store, with a full warranty, no tricks?

I'm waiting to see the deals from Moto first.

The room it's going in is pitch black. I haven't measured the throw distance of the other one, but it's just sitting on a tabletop as of now. When I actually buy one, I'll ceiling mount it, and then I can put it whereever I want. The room is 25-26' deep. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
CMulford, what if I told you that this 'supposedly' $3200 projector could be had for a few hundred under your $1500 price tag? From a reputable store, with a full warranty, no tricks?

Ragdoll... I can't get the projector, but all I will say is if it is too good to be true, it usually is. Good luck. You think you are actually going to get a new, no tricks, no bait and switch, no "the warranty only covers Europe, pay for the USA warranty" for a projector that is trying to be sold under dealer cost.

Thats funny.

Thats like ordering a RC51 over the internet, brand new, for $5000.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
CMulford said:
Wow, that's not cheap. I've been thinking about a projector too but something more around $1500. I don't have a problem with too much light, but I do watch a LOT of tv so I'm somewhat worried that I'll end up replacing the bulb every year. Thoughts Moto?
Depends what you are looking for in a projector will definately affect the price. Most customers that buy projectors from me that have a home theater room usually spend between $3K and up for the projector. Higher priced projectors use better chips and lenes/optics, like from Konica-Minolta. One thing a projector with better components will do is play non-HD/DVD programming much clearer. If you watch 7 hours of tv everyday, yes, every few years you will need to replace a bulb.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the InFocus one I am using is designed for presentations. I actually doesn't do a horrible job, but I have seens actual multimedia projectors, so I know how good it can be.

The problem with most internet pricing is exactly that, bait and switch, no warranty, gray market. I got duped by that 4 years ago with a video camera. I'm pretty cautious with that. The reason that this particular projector can be had for so cheap right now, is that after you buy it, you can go to Panasonic's website and fill out a rebate for for 400 double cheeseburgers. And you get a BlockBuster card for 300 double cheeseburgers worth of free movie rentals. And in my case, I have an avid movie watcher I work with whom is going to buy the card from me for $150...since I don't have a blockbuster in the town I live in. Yay.

I think you know what I am looking for, so if you could suggest some projectors that you can supply, let me know. Thanks sailor.

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
I think you know what I am looking for, so if you could suggest some projectors that you can supply, let me know
If all you told him about your situation is in this thread.... you need to give him more info....

I'll stay out of the mans bidness... I've said to much!

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What more details should I give here? I've never bought one of these before.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Size of penis...

Magnum or minie?

Do you want it with yellow stripes?

Or gay pride stickers?

Or for an extra 10% you could donate to Johnny B's cause!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are they doing any projectors at 1080p yet which will accept a native 1080p signal through HDMI ? Panny and Pioneer plasmas in 65" and 50" will be out this year w 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) but they will upconvert the signal , dont believe they will accept native 1080p albeit limited source content in any case.
I prefer plasma, better blacks and contrast.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Rag... I just stopped back to receive a shipment that was delivered. Give me a layout of the room, what components you have, screen type, size, ect. I will probably be getting in pretty late tonight from work, probably well after midnight. Once I have a chance I'll give you some options. Give me a round about ballpark that you wan't to stay under.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tub is about 3'x6' The projector will need to be waterproof.

I'll let you know. No huge hurry.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
ragdoll said:
I need to sell my car...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts