Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a while since we had a good throwdown.

The other night I watched "The Gospel of Judas". Yep, Judas. Even DVR'd it for future reference, it tells a very different story. It also said there were at least 30 gospels written but thrown out by the early church as either gnostic or downright heretical, narrowed down to the 4 we have today.

At that time Romans were killing Christians for entertainment. Gnostics (a term used by the church) were being written off by the church because they had no need of clergy, therefore provided no income for the church.

It was interesting, probably not faith changing for anyone but just another account of Jesus. Makes me wonder what else was lost over the years at the behest of the early church. Anyone else catch the show?

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
lots of stuff has been 'thown out' or 'added' over the years for any number of reasons; but don't ask a Catholic about the 'Golden Chain' ...

many folks get caught up in the dogma, i belong to a local church...it's not some ethereal being or strict set of rules...it's a group of my neighbors, they're good people and try to do right by others...some more so than others

i bum when i hear people speaking critically in the abstract about religion and the larger sociological impact...tell me how it translates into action in the real world day to day of your life, that's what matters...people can think what they want, it's what they 'do' that matters

and remember, ratdog spelled backwards is...GodTar ?!?! whatever :D

G

·
dadogs said:
Oh man you know you've just opened Pandora's box! And no.....Pandora is not some hottie that jogs past your house every morning.:stir:

That hottie's name was Jill... until my wife found out then it became PANDORA!! :devil:

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,796 Posts
Hey, being Catholic is not all that bad, though I haven't had communion in say............20 years.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I grew up with strong religious convictions. Methodist, in the most Catholic area of the country.

The problem I have today is how to properly introduce a healthy balance of religion and the same beliefs I grew up with to my kids.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I grew up in a Catholic Culture, went to Catholic school and I don't have a problem with God... I do, however, have a problem with the politics within the Religion now a days.

I talk to God on a daily basis (on my own) but I just can't seem to go to church to hear all those priest tell me that I got to give them all my hard earned money over and over again.

I know I am going to :hang: for this but that's how I feel.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,796 Posts
Hey guys, I gotta think about getting some religion for my little guys. I gotta get them thinking about God. I don't wanna here anyone say "Why you gotta do that, Dave?" cause it just has to be done. But I don't quite know what to do. But I am giving it plenty of thought. Plenty!
I just don't beleive that we are decendants of mini mud polywogs.

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
RC90... your not the only one who thinks that way!

Surprisingly, our parish doesnt have a history of doing that... AT ALL! Even during the Holidays... when attendance is up! Many others in the area love to do that! Pi$$es me off... been known to walk out during homilies when the he starts preaching about the parking lot needing repairs or the roof needing to be replaced...

·
Power 2 the pedal
10,093 Posts
Actually, it's kind of cool that you brought this up Jet. I just professed my faith three Sundays ago, and I got Baptized last Sunday. I have attended a United Church of Christ since as far back as I can remember, and I never actually felt "moved" by God until three Sundays ago. So now, I guess I am a Southern Baptist. It was a very unique experience, and I feel so much better since my rebirth. It's an awesome feeling to say the least. Just thought i'd share, and as for the original topic, I DVR'd the "Science of the Bible" yesterday, and I am looking forward to watching it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Religion is non-violent crowd control (unless you are in the middle east) . The disciples were old men around the camp fire who came up with some reasons to follow commom courtesy / common sense guidelines for a civilized society and gave us motivation to follow them besides jail, ridicule, or death. It then gets morphed into pay up, kill for it, mines better than yours, lets add self serving versions to it to control our women or whatever else serves our purpose for the moment. When you feel down, its all bad, no reason to pick your worn out ass out of bed, well... theres always religion.:001_huh:

·
Banned
621 Posts
Hey 600, I'm really glad to hear that, so welcome to the body of Christ! I got saved in a Southern Baptist church as well, back in '92 when I was 29. I grew up Methodist, so I too was indoctrinated with religion before I escaped to the freedom of salvation in Christ. I've been trying to knock some sense into these guys since '99 about giving up religion and finding a personal relationship with Christ instead. I feel everyone's pain about finding faith, but the fact of the matter is, you're never going to find it in a building, a group of people, a religious hierarchy, or the latest feel-good publication. It all comes down to Christ. Stand at the foot of the cross and realize Christ has already reached out to you, now when are you going to reach back?

·
Banned
621 Posts
600, just be sure you clarify that you are a CHRISTIAN, and you ATTEND a Southern Baptist Church, there's a big diff.

Greg is right about religion, that's why Jesus abhored it so much. I think maybe his view on the disciples is very skewed, however. I think they would be horrified if anyone felt the need to "follow them", when their whole reason for existence was to glorify Christ and spread the gospel. I doubt they sat around many campfires coming up with ways of playing nice. They were all martyred, right? Whoever got martyred for being a good guy? They thought it nothing to die for a truth that they knew first-hand. Every heard of anyone sacrificing their life for something they didn't believe in?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I bailed on religion some time ago. There's too much science can't explain to me about the way things are, but there's also way too much that religion leaves open with the old "because we say so" routine.

I'm more the agnostic type. Something is out there, maybe God, maybe not. I know I'm not the Catholic I was brought up to be, and that's just fine with me.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Bailing on religion is certainly a good start, but it's only half the battle. If you don't mind my saying, however, you kinda contradict yourself. Anything that requires you to believe "because we say so" IS religion, the very thing you just said you bailed. I really can't think of anything in my faith as a Christian that requires me to believe something without proof.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anyone seen "God or the Girl" - It's a docudrama following 4 young men through their journey of contemplation about joining the Roman Catholic Priesthood. I've caught a few episodes and it's interesting. One of them was passing out prayer group flyers and ran into a Christian Fundamentalist who schooled him hard with scripture. It was like a bible smackdown and the Priest wannabe had nothing to work with.

·
Power 2 the pedal
10,093 Posts
jetblast10 said:
anyone seen "God or the Girl" - It's a docudrama following 4 young men through their journey of contemplation about joining the Roman Catholic Priesthood. I've caught a few episodes and it's interesting. One of them was passing out prayer group flyers and ran into a Christian Fundamentalist who schooled him hard with scripture. It was like a bible smackdown and the Priest wannabe had nothing to work with.
I caught the tail end of those yesterday when I got home from the track. I think it was on A&E so I might be able to set up the DVR.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Bob Frazer said:
Bailing on religion is certainly a good start, but it's only half the battle. If you don't mind my saying, however, you kinda contradict yourself. Anything that requires you to believe "because we say so" IS religion, the very thing you just said you bailed. I really can't think of anything in my faith as a Christian that requires me to believe something without proof.
Ummm...where did I contradict myself? I said I bailed on religion because of the "we say so" routine (not entirely, but partially). Catholic priests' child molestation helped, too. Nothin' quite like the abuse of children to turn somebody off an organization. I know, I know, a few bad eggs are an exception, not the rule. I just have reservations about Catholicism after the way the Catholic Church dealt with the whole issue.

I don't consider the Bible proof, BTW. I'm not trying to slam your religion, I'm just saying that I don't believe the same things you do. I just need to see, touch, taste, smell, hear something for it to be "proof."

Disclaimer: PLEEEAAASE don't be offended by anything I say in this thread. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. In fact, I hope a lot of you disagree, since that is what makes things interesting. I'm just speaking my mind.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Bock919 said:
Ummm...where did I contradict myself? I said I bailed on religion because of the "we say so" routine (not entirely, but partially). Catholic priests' child molestation helped, too. Nothin' quite like the abuse of children to turn somebody off an organization. I know, I know, a few bad eggs are an exception, not the rule. I just have reservations about Catholicism after the way the Catholic Church dealt with the whole issue.

I don't consider the Bible proof, BTW. I'm not trying to slam your religion, I'm just saying that I don't believe the same things you do. I just need to see, touch, taste, smell, hear something for it to be "proof."

Disclaimer: PLEEEAAASE don't be offended by anything I say in this thread. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. In fact, I hope a lot of you disagree, since that is what makes things interesting. I'm just speaking my mind.
Sorry, I've been gone to Louisiana since last Thurs. working on that stupid airplane. And I take no offense at anything said, in fact I encourage healthy debate, so fire away.

Well, maybe I mispoke. My point is that anything that insists you 'toe the company line' without fact-finding yourself IS religion, but it is NOT Christianity. Notice if you will that you use the Catholic religion and the priest molestation in particular as some sort of baseline. Why? What does this have to do with Jesus Christ? Does the Catholic church own some sort of spiritual pipeline and have a special place in the Kingdom that I'm not aware of? I believe when we all stand before the throne on judgement day INDIVIDUALLY, we'll be asked one question: " I gave you my Son, what did you do with Him?" I'm afraid comparing yourself to others may work on a secular level, but it will fall far short of the bar that was set with higher aspirations.

I'm not really sure why you feel the Bible asks you to accept it at face value. In fact, scripture actually insists that you "test the spirits" (or make the Bible prove itself) because God knows that if you indeed see for yourself, you will be the stronger believer because of it. However, if you insist on the need to "see, touch, taste, smell and hear", but aren't interested in really finding an answer, then you are being disingenuous. I find it interesting that so many people point to the Bible as being erroneous (not you in particular, I'm speaking generally here). But when pressed for an explanation, no one can actually show what they are talking about, they're just parroting the same thing they've heard a thousand times without actually checking it out for themselves! The Bible is, in fact, without error. And no, your not slamming my religion because I don't belong to one.

I've always said religion is for people who can't handle Jesus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.