Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Interceptor 1000

Votes: 25 58.1%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help deciding on a low budget project. Not a restoration, just a get it running, clean it up and enjoy it type project.

1978 CR 125 Elsinore: needs a new top end, and clutch to run. Overall in good condition. FREE

1978(ish) CB650 Custom: needs repairs to charging system and new battery at minimum to run. Overall good condition. Paint is very nice for age. FREE

1985 or 86 Interceptor 1000: Bike is only a rumor at this point but supposedly has 5000 miles on it, and only needs a battery to run. Guy says he's the second owner and basically rode it a couple times, got scared and parked it in the garage. I'm trying to get up with him to look at it. $750.00

I wish I could get them all but I only have room for one. First two are Dad's so they have some sentimental value but I really like the idea of the Interceptor more than the other two providing it pans out. Which would you choose?

ETA: I know these bikes will all need misc. repairs, what is listed is just what I know needs to be done.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Go with the CB650, it's classic AND it's Dad's. You'll enjoy it for the rest of your life.

·
Why not?
309 Posts
if they area dads cant he hold on to them while you work on the interceptor? when your done with that sell it and work on the next one with the money from the interceptor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rmb: I had the same thought. Only problem is other than the good memories the bike doesn't do much for me. I think it has possibilities as a cafe racer style but I really hate the idea of changing it.

*******: I don't sell, I only acquire. I'm trying to build my empire after all. :riding:

Let me give some background on my feelings about these bikes.

The Elsinore was the first fast dirt bike I ever rode. The first time I rode it I was 10 or 11 and I remember feeling exhilaration and complete terror at the same time.

The CB650 reminds me of being 10 years riding with pops up in the mountains feeling like a co pilot of a fighter jet. I also learned the basics of street riding on that bike.

The 1985 Interceptor gave me a funny feeling in 1985 and it still does. It was the first bike I ever saw that I told myself I had to have.

I guess I could build a storage shed and just get them all.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
rmb: I had the same thought. Only problem is other than the good memories the bike doesn't do much for me. I think it has possibilities as a cafe racer style but I really hate the idea of changing it.

*******: I don't sell, I only acquire. I'm trying to build my empire after all. :riding:

Let me give some background on my feelings about these bikes.

The Elsinore was the first fast dirt bike I ever rode. The first time I rode it I was 10 or 11 and I remember feeling exhilaration and complete terror at the same time.

The CB650 reminds me of being 10 years riding with pops up in the mountains feeling like a co pilot of a fighter jet. I also learned the basics of street riding on that bike.

The 1985 Interceptor gave me a funny feeling in 1985 and it still does. It was the first bike I ever saw that I told myself I had to have.

I guess I could build a storage shed and just get them all.
If this is a posibility, DO IT, you'l never regret it. You'll have the BEST of both worlds, memories and the satisfied "funny feeling"...

·
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
3,802 Posts
I vote the intercepter, only because the other two aren't going anywhere, anytime soon by the sounds of it. Otherwise the vote would have gone to the cb650 for sure!

·
McTavish
6,233 Posts
I'd go with the Interceptor.

If you want to go for an "Old K", get a real one, as in 70s CB750s, 500/550s. 350/400s.

The 125 Elsinore was a great motocrosser - that would be fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
......found a cheap 1998 CR 125 two winters ago.....at that time they were way past the competition, had aluminum frames, good suspension, and were easy to rebuild.

Paid $900.......rode it for a summer, sold it for $1600. Doesn't cost much to even buy some of the newer stuff now.

Wouldn't mind finding a street legal KTM 200/300 EXC 2-stroke one of these days......

A cafe CB750 would be a sweet project too.......

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,599 Posts
if they area dads cant he hold on to them while you work on the interceptor? when your done with that sell it and work on the next one with the money from the interceptor.
Red, don't drink and post!:scared:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts