Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a SV650s, but wanted more performance. So, I bought a 03 R6. But, I've always had a thing for naked bikes. My riding consists mainly of weekend runs in the mountains and 3-4 trackdays a year. My short list is a Z1000, 919, and Speed Triple. I'm leaning towards the 919 but it's hard to decide without being able to ride one. I've ridden the Z1000. It's cool, but no more comfortable than my R6. Have any of you gone from a sportbike to a street bike? Will I be dissapointed in the handling? What about trackdays? What year did the 919 get adjustable suspension? And what adjustments does it have?

G

·
I've had a lot of bikes and I totally LOVE the 919. Comfortable to ride all day and yet still handles pretty darn good IMO. Smooth steady powerband that pulls hard from the get go. Preload on the front forks started in 2004 I believe. Sweet bike!

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Doesn't someone on here have Ohlins on order for their 919? I'd think they could tell you what the bike turns into after doing that. Could help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Last bike was an R6. I WILL NEVER SELL MY 919. Cannot be beat for all around rideability. I have ridden across the country three times, I do track days about three a year (just bought a cheap track bike for next season, though). I did that more so that I wont ruin my 9 by low-siding it. As for the suspension: adjustable in '04. Upgrading suspension, not worth it. It is not a super high performance track bike and it never will be. It does everything well, but nothing the best. If track is your passion, get a track bike. If you cant decide what you'd rather do, stick with the nine. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!! Hope this helps...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I only do a few trackdays a year, that's not my priority. I just don't want to give it up. What's the limiting factor on the 919's cornering ability? Suspension? Ground clearance? Surely the stock suspension is better than the SV650.

BTW, I really like the new Speed Triple. It's just a little out of my price range.

G

·
Wow your top choices are my fav nakeds! I havnt riden a tripple but a buddy has one and loves it, I love my 919 to death and will be buying another one or a z1000. My brother had a z1000 so I got a lot of time on that and it earned a lot in my mind with those cool pipes. Seriously your picking from three very good bikes just read up and try to test ride all of them.

·
919 City Pilot
1,043 Posts
limiting factors
Ask Mike the Dark Lord of Ducks that one....

Mostly skill and having the confidence to ride the 9er hard.......not the most stable platforms for hard cornering.......

·
Registered
370 Posts
Before I bought me 919 the bikes I was looking at was 919, Z1000, Kaw 1200, FZ1. I loved the look of the 919 and one of the comparison I read on MC magazine about the naked bikes. The 919 had the best handling and the others had better power. 919 not the most power for a naked bike but handles great and suspension adjustable 2004 or newer.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Have any of you gone from a sportbike to a street bike?
Prior to my 919 I rode a R6 for 5 years. I thought about turning the R6 into a streetfighter but decided against it. After 5 years with the same bike it was time for a new one.

Will I be disappointed in the handling?
Not as long as you realize that you are not riding a sportbike like your R6.

What about trackdays?
We have quite a few 919's here that are used for track days. Depending on your skill level rearsets might be in order.

What year did the 919 get adjustable suspension? And what adjustments does it have?
In 2004 the 919 received adj. preload and rebound damping for the forks and adj. rebound out back.

Best advise is to ride one and compare. What is good for someone else might not appeal to you.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Nick said:
Since I only do a few trackdays a year, that's not my priority. I just don't want to give it up. What's the limiting factor on the 919's cornering ability? Suspension? Ground clearance? Surely the stock suspension is better than the SV650.
The frame is just this wussy little steel backbone and the swingarm has no linkage. The SV does have budget suspension, like the 9er, but it has a very stiff frame when compared to the 919.

One of my friends has the SV650S and another has the SV650, so I've ridden both. Don't expect the 919 to engine brake like the SV, or turn in nearly as fast. It's a heavy bike compared to the featherweight SV, but it does have its strong points. The 919 is a bike you can live with every day, but you make compromises to have such a bike.

Did trick just say he had a "buddy" with a triple? I could have sworn he said that guy gave the triple a bad name... Done threadjacking!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Who's riding? :)

Honestly, I'd have to say that a really tight road probably favors the SV. It weighs crap plus you have a nice low-end. A medium tight road probably goes to the 919, just based on horsies. But truly, it all comes down to the rider. My buddy with the 650S can't ride for sh!t, so I can kill him on any corner. My buddy with the standard 650 is really good, so on the really tight roads he cooks me, but I walk away on sweepers, ramps, etc.

Everything is too subjective. Ride both back to back if you can, make your decision based on that. I really like the SV, I just like my bike more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bock919 said:
Who's riding? :)

Everything is too subjective. Ride both back to back if you can, make your decision based on that. I really like the SV, I just like my bike more.

I used to own an SV, so fairly familiar with them. I just can't find a 919 to ride. It's a tough decision when you don't know what you're getting in to.

Anybody with a 919 want to go for a ride and try out a R6? :confused1:

G

·
I used to have a 900ss duc. I got my 919 by accident. Not really, but I was looking for a dual sport to comute on. When I saw the 919 iwas in awe. It looked awesome. The guy in the shop let me crank it and take it around the block. I quitely gave him back the key and did not say a word. I ran home got on the computer found an 04 with 1500 miles on it. Drove 4 hours and paid $5000 cash for it. I rode it home in 3 hours. My girlfriend was pissed. I had not been on a bike for 3 years. I did not tire one bit on the ride home!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.