Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
(oYo)
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with one?

I'm notinterested in an "always on" solution (scott) and squeezing a bottle (gravity feed) means it has to be mounted in an undesireable location.

It seems to me the button activated HawkeOiler is the best bet. Also, does anyone have any insight as to how to craft a dual sided feed such as comes with the Loobman?

I know RT has some experience....specifically with the front sprocket mounting scenario I am leaning towards.

Old related post: http://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes/6269-auto-oiler.html

·
(oYo)
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Now I'm on to something....

I'm trying to find a comparable pump for this application, to see if I can cut down on the expense. I figure the rest of the the setup is just a few bucks in tubing, small switch, and a reservoir.

Here are the specs for the Hawkeoiler's pump:
specifications | hawkeoiler.com

And this is what I found:
Miniature Piston Pump, Model EMX 08 Solenoid Operated

I think I just cut the price of this install by half.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Does chain oil/lube fit into the viscosity range of the EMX pump? I'm assuming 'yes,' but I have no idea.

Educate me.

·
(oYo)
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does chain oil/lube fit into the viscosity range of the EMX pump? I'm assuming 'yes,' but I have no idea.

Educate me.
80/90 gear oil and chain saw bar oil are commonly used with this unit... in addition to the wackjobs that try ATF, WD40, and other thinner options.

I'll start with Synthetic 80/90.

·
(oYo)
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are the specs for one example of 80/90. I don't know what it would be at colder temps but the 1-600 cSt range of the pump should work just fine.

Valvoline Dura Blend Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Oil

Vis @ 100C (cSt)
Vis @ 40C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Gravity (API)
Pour Point (C) max
Brookfield, cP
58000(-26C)

·
(oYo)
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The unit should be on my doorstep this Wednesday. An email from the vendor confirmed that the planned setup shouldwork:

TJ,
Confirming your email, our 12V EMX 08 can be actuated with a push button to stroke the pump manually.
What you'll get is a small squirt of media every time you push the button We do have the 12V units in stock and they can easily be purchased over the internet.
Otherwise, feel free to give us a call with any additional questions
Regards,
Chuck Hixon
Clark Solutions Valves, pumps, dataloggers, and instruments to monitor and control

Now I need to source a small reservoir and plan for a splitter of some sort to hit both side of the sprocket.

·
new 919 pilot
104 Posts
Maybe you can go to your old school electronics store (not a radioshack) and have them configure a cheap circuit board using something like a 555 timer chip to send a few pulses after one button hit. Something kinda like what the wiper motor uses perhaps?

·
(oYo)
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you can go to your old school electronics store (not a radioshack) and have them configure a cheap circuit board using something like a 555 timer chip to send a few pulses after one button hit. Something kinda like what the wiper motor uses perhaps?
Good idea. I could wire that up myself but don't see the need. If did I would need to swap capacitors to test different pule widths and cycles. ( I suppose a potentiometer would work as well and be adjustable) With a manual setup I just need to press it a few more or less times.

The manufacturer also offers the pulse generator I posted earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts