Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
What's a 919?
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know this isn't any kind of new topic to comment on, it just really irked me and I thought I'd share.

I had to do some flight training with my unit today, so seeing as it's been a beautiful sunny 80 degrees the past few days I decided to ride my 919 down there. After all, what could be more fun than riding a motorcycle down to go ride around in some Blackhawk's all day?
Anyway, on the way back, taking the local 2 lane I passed at least a dozen Harley's at different times, all of them decked out for leather fashion show, bandana's and American flag's flapping in the wind, I'm sure you've all seen it. A true display of an American icon, right?

Here's the thing, out of the 12+ 'All American's' I passed, only 1 waved back to me. I received the 'quick look the other way' deal, and the 'you're invisible to me' from all the rest of them. Now, I'm not a newcomer by any means to be passed up by a Harley rider on a wave, but I was in uniform. Not to say that I am drawing attention to myself, but if these All American posers profess to being 100% true American and do nothing but buy USA and support our country, why oh why would they stiff up a waving rider, especially a service member in uniform, just because he isn't riding a Harley? Shouldn't the U.S. ARMY over my heart outweigh the Honda wing on my gas tank? I've already done more for this country just by raising my right hand than they'll ever do for the US by purchasing a piece of Milwaukee metal. I just found it truly pathetic and cemented my disgust with the majority of Harley riders out there. (I have met 1 or 2 nice ones)

To quote my late grandfather, a true All American: "I remember when being patriotic meant serving your country, not going to a fashion show."

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have never understood this nor will I ever - It really used to bother me, espically when I was on my Buell ! Now, I just dont care, if they wave first , Ill shoot them a wave back - As much as I'd like to entertain the idea of getting a Fat Bob , this kind of crap really makes me wonder if that's the right thing to do -Not that I have the monies laying about right now anyway -

·
Living the dream
1,246 Posts
I have seen it but I seem to get more waves from Harley guys here in Cali than I did in the Mid-West.

I wave to everyone. Even the scooter guys.

And isn't all that leather made in Pakistan, China, Sri Lanka or anywhere but America?

·
a.k.a. Macgruber
2,194 Posts
Now, I just dont care, if they wave first , Ill shoot them a wave back
+1

I've wasted many waves trying to be the nice guy first.
I'll still return a wave but they don't come too often.

I have seen it but I seem to get more waves from Harley guys here in Cali than I did in the Mid-West.

I have a good friend from high school who was living in Springfield, MO for a year or two. I pulled the 9er down there for a visit & was amazed at how it didn't seem to matter what you were on... if it had two wheels you were waved at equally. :bliss:

I ride with different friends who have different classes of bikes and who are in different age groups - I ride with some great older guys who have a variety of bikes. It makes for a diverse network of riding buddies :riding:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Let me be the first in this thread to wave :hello: and say Thank You for your service!

I wish I understood the reasoning, but could not begin to explain it.

Sorry.....

·
STR-III
4,989 Posts
I wish I understood the reasoning, but could not begin to explain it.
- Parts will fall off once they remove the left hand/organic bar weight
- When riding with ape hangers, removing the left hand will result in an imminent crash
- Having both legs stretch as far forward as possible while reaching as far forward as possible to hang on means the left hand releasing will instantly cause the rider to fall back and jerk hard on the right bar.

That's about all the explanations I can think of.

On a side note. A girl here at the office told me last week that her and her husband have had no less than $1,000 worth of parts get destroyed as the vibrated loose and fell off while riding. The weird thing is they just think it's part of the experience. I don't get it. :huh::idunno:

·
Registered
458 Posts
The funny thing is these H/D riders are lawyers,bankers,businessmen and off the bike were they to meet you they would shake your hand because that's what they know.And at $18/20,000 a bike you need to have cash $$$

Put them on a Harley and they start living the outlaw lifestyle <T Shirt> half helmet.that's why a lot of these guys buy a Harley and why I sold mine.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Start off with the one finger salute... They might actually react to that.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Strange....I wave at every motorcycle rider I come across, but when I wave at most riders it means "I respect your participation in our sport and wish you safe journey"....but when I wave at a Weekend Badass-in-Costume Derangement Syndrome victim it means "you poor dumb schmuck". A wave is a beautiful thing...an expressive thing....a life-affirming thing. Keep waving!

·
CB900
625 Posts
Here in Oz, we give the nod of the helmet to acknowledge a fellow rider, well, we used to. I still do, but have noticed in recent years with heaps more bikes on the road that the "Noobs" aren't doing it, mainly the mighty power rangers on sports bikes, and the leather clad attitudes on Harleys. Then theres the Beemer and Goldwing guys, and I think its just they are too busy as the espresso machine or microwave oven in the left pannier just went ping to say its ready. There are nearly more Harleys here than anything else now. I think they cant move their heads because their necks are too thick from all the gym work, or cant wave because the scabs on their new tattoos will get blown off. The Power Rangers don't wave because their ghei leathers are too tight. I was at popular bike cafe not long ago, and there was one in the toilet with 2 guys peeling his leathers off because he was busting for a pee. Very funny.

The Blackhawks are an amazing machine, my first job when I left school was installing radios on those beasts, and I was lucky enough to go up in one on a test flight, one of the best moments in my life. You're a very lucky man flying them!!!!

·
Di"zx"en
718 Posts
Shouldn't the U.S. ARMY over my heart outweigh the Honda wing on my gas tank? I've already done more for this country just by raising my right hand than they'll ever do for the US by purchasing a piece of Milwaukee metal.
Abso-friggen-lutly!

And by the way......Thanks.

·
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
1,651 Posts
Every time I wave to a Harley guy and he pulls the "oh look, a birdie" trick I hope he doesn't sprain his neck from turning his head so fast. Most just don't care unless you ride a Harley. Heck I know some that say the vrod isn't a Harley because it isn't air cooled.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It's just pathetic really and makes me want to turn around and beat them. BMW riders are almost as bad though. What is it about aircooled twins?

·
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9
1,651 Posts
I will say I have gotten more Harley riders to wave back than Cali motorcycle cops. I love waiving to them. Group riding behind them can be pretty fun too.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
First, thanks for your service. Second, where Harley riders are concerned, I don't wave unless they wave first. I had enough of being snubbed a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts