Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
3,802 Posts
I just had this issue too. I ran a jumper wire from the front brake switch into the kill switch housing. I like your way better. I might change it. So far, no problems tho.

·
Registered
268 Posts
could I just short out the black/red and the blue/white wires inside the starter switch?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Really, whatever works for you...
I have had zero problems since splicing.
I didn't realize it goes into the headlight bucket. Your method would be a lot easier, way easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
... and i said EFF IT. i cut the wire clean up in the throttle housing... then down on the plug side in headlight housing i simply wired the two headlight wires together permanently, so when the key is on, the headlight is on. even when starting...
Walla, always on headlight... no more issues with no headlight.
Thanks so much for posting this!! I had the same issue. Thought it was the bulb, bought a replacement. No joy. Checked the fuses - all good. I was stumped until I found this post, opened the starter switch and found the wire had popped off just like you described. Coincidentally the replacement bulb I bought was an LED so it has way less power draw anyway. I followed your pictures and now everything works and I didn't even need to solder anything. Awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Right on schedule, every 4 years this thread gets picked up again :D

TBH, I'd like to have the headlight never be on unless the bike is running. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Had my headlight turn off going about 100 mph through my favorite set of twisties under a new moon at midnight. Yep. Was fun using my cell phone camera light to get home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have to cut the wire at the starter switch, or can you just cut the wires at the plug end and twist them up like in the picture?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do you have to cut the wire at the starter switch, or can you just cut the wires at the plug end and twist them up like in the picture?
I did exactly as pictured. I believe i went straight to the plug, cut the correct wires and did like he did in the picture. Easy fix

·
Registered
14 Posts
I spliced these wires together with success. Now a week later with normal commuting use, my bike will not start. Has anyone noticed any issue from doing this headlight wiring update, or can think of something I may have tweaked in the process? I spliced them within the handlebar starter housing and it seemed rather harmless. It cranks but won't turn over. The battery is new and checks out, and the pump primes like normal. :frown2:

Perhaps it is coincidence on the timing, and I have an issue with fuel filter, or injectors.

·
Seasoned
21 Posts
So when I got my 2006 Honda 919 recently, it had an annoying vibration between 2800 rpm and 3000 rpm. I finally traced it to the headlamp vibrating in the plastic housing. I took the headlight out, and inserted a piece of foam rubber, about 1" x 1" x 6" on top of the headlamp, and squeezed in all back in the housing. Primitive, but the buzz is gone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reviving this thread! Where are them pins located? Back of the headlight? Any pics/vids on how to reach them pins? THANKS!!!

P.S. Any pics on where to put them electrical tapes on the headlight?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well i finally got fed up with my headlight problems and random vibrations from the front of the bike at the magical 4500ish rpms.

Anyways over the past OH 2 months i have had problems with my headlight going out, it was always a simple fix associated with a broken solder joint on the starter button... as the starter button cuts the headlight power when you press it.

So the first time it happened i just re-soldered it and it lasted for about 3 weeks. I then went on a ride in which i did about 15mi or so off road on a dirt trail... (yes on my 919... ppl look at me weird), and the next day a buddy and i went out for a dusk ride... mid ride just before dark headlight goes out... and i dont have a screw driver to get into the throttle housing or headlight housing :banghead:

needless to say i rode home without a light invisible as fuck (buddy did ride close in front of my to be my headlight... even then i was still invisible)

So the second time around i resoldered it, and put hot glue on top in hopes that would reduce vibrations and resolve the solder breaking issue.... well yesterday it happened again, and i said EFF IT. i cut the wire clean up in the throttle housing... then down on the plug side in headlight housing i simply wired the two headlight wires together permanently, so when the key is on, the headlight is on. even when starting... tbh there is ZERO issue with this... a headlight draws 4-5amps on low beam... starter 100a + ... the extra 4amp draw isnt going to cause any starting issues and it doesnt, the bike cranks over just as quick as it always has. and i dont have to worry about being stranded without a headlight again (theres a reason why baja guys always run at least two!!!)

Anyways onto the pics.
Here is the wires to the starter switch with its broken solder joint... at this point i had cut the wire clean

Down at the plug end of the pigtail from the throttle housing i cut the two wires for the headlight, pulled the pins out of the plug, n soldered them up.

Some shrink wrap and pins back into the plug later

Walla, always on headlight... no more issues with no headlight.

ALSO while i was at it i redid the beauty ring on the headlight. the chrome ring that goes over the glass is held on by three tabs and was held in place by 3 globs of silicone.... which had all come undone. SO i ran a bead of clear rtv silicone around the front face of the headlight, and side, so there is no way that the ring could vibrate. I also put some electrical tape on the surfaces of the plastic housing where it mates with the main chrome headlight holder to get rid of vibrations. I havnt tested it yet but im sure vibrations will be gone. Also while i was at it i used a lil of the clear rtv on the surfaces that would cause vibration noise on the radiator guard.

This is the ring im talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you , Headlight sorted saved who knows how much money . I almost ballsed it up thinking it was the black and blue white wire to join , but i noticed it was the wrong plug locations and realised it was black red / blue white . Back on the mac :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts