Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a street boot with good mobility? Looking for all-black if possible, trying to stay away from the racer-boy stuff (remember, this is the street). No toe-slider needed either. Ideas?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Looks pretty good. A little expensive at $180. It says on newenough that " The thicker sole however is a bit less practical for those shifting sport/race bikes." Any problems? What kind of bike do you ride for reference?

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
I apologize in advance for what might be a rant about this. For those who do not know me yet - I am a bit edgy until I can get some Tibetan Monk Tea in me.

Anyway. The question of what is a good street boot versus racer-boy or track stuff is kinda moot or null.

If you ride a Sport bike and are able to ride it within reasonable amounts of its performance envelope, then you are always at risk of injury - whether you are on the track or not. Example: So, you are on the canyons doing 65 MPH and for some reason you high side and are thrown from the bike. Or, you were at the track doing 65 MPH in a slow ride hander and on exit, you high sided. Same speed, same accident, same kind of impact surface. At that point, what difference does it make if you were wearing a SIDI Vertebrae Corsa or the SIDI Vertebrae B or whatever.

When choosing safety equipment, get the best you can possibly afford and don't differentiate between your riding environment. Interestingly enough, you are safer at a track than you are on the street - where do you think you should have the most protection?

I had a $1200 or suit that saved only once and then had to be replaced. I can assure you that when I was sliding, rolling and having my head bounce around in my Racer Boy helmet, I was only grateful that I had made the investment.

I am not trying to be judgemental, I just hate the thought of compromising on safety. As for recommendations, I go with the new Teknic Speedstar boot or the older SIDI Vertebrae Racer. For some reason, I am not sold on the torsional / lateral strength of the newer SIDI.

Okay.... I am off to get some Tibetan Monk Tea now. :confused:

·
Interceptor!
453 Posts
I have Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots (see Here, for exemple)
I really like them, have stood up well to two seasons so far, including one lowside. Scuffed but did their job.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MetallicCarrot said:
Can anyone recommend a street boot with good mobility? Looking for all-black if possible, trying to stay away from the racer-boy stuff (remember, this is the street). No toe-slider needed either. Ideas?
Best boot that I know that fits that discription is one that I wear. It's an Oxtar Jupiter GTX in black. All reinforced Gortex so it's waterproof and cool in hot weather. It is so comfortable that I can wear it all day long. Once you try them you'll were them to church:eek:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WIM-RC51 said:
I apologize in advance for what might be a rant about this. For those who do not know me yet - I am a bit edgy until I can get some Tibetan Monk Tea in me.

Anyway. The question of what is a good street boot versus racer-boy or track stuff is kinda moot or null.

If you ride a Sport bike and are able to ride it within reasonable amounts of its performance envelope, then you are always at risk of injury - whether you are on the track or not. Example: So, you are on the canyons doing 65 MPH and for some reason you high side and are thrown from the bike. Or, you were at the track doing 65 MPH in a slow ride hander and on exit, you high sided. Same speed, same accident, same kind of impact surface. At that point, what difference does it make if you were wearing a SIDI Vertebrae Corsa or the SIDI Vertebrae B or whatever.

When choosing safety equipment, get the best you can possibly afford and don't differentiate between your riding environment. Interestingly enough, you are safer at a track than you are on the street - where do you think you should have the most protection?

I had a $1200 or suit that saved only once and then had to be replaced. I can assure you that when I was sliding, rolling and having my head bounce around in my Racer Boy helmet, I was only grateful that I had made the investment.

I am not trying to be judgemental, I just hate the thought of compromising on safety. As for recommendations, I go with the new Teknic Speedstar boot or the older SIDI Vertebrae Racer. For some reason, I am not sold on the torsional / lateral strength of the newer SIDI.

Okay.... I am off to get some Tibetan Monk Tea now. :confused:
Yawn. The difference being that I actually have to walk around in this boot. I don't ride for 40 minutes then sit in my race-trailer like John Hopkins. Give me a break. The most protection would be a set of boots from a suit of armor. Unmatched ridigity and good luck grinding through a set, even at 200mph. But that doesn't mean I'm going to ride in them every day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
WIM-RC51 said:
.Okay.... I am off to get some Tibetan Monk Tea now. :confused:
Boy, Don't know if I want to be on a track with anybody drinking Tibetan Monk Tea:eek: . What is in that stuff? Is it legal? I stick with Moon Cakes imported from Amsterdam. JK. Good advice that you give though.
DouweK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MetallicCarrot said:
Yawn. The difference being that I actually have to walk around in this boot. I don't ride for 40 minutes then sit in my race-trailer like John Hopkins. Give me a break. The most protection would be a set of boots from a suit of armor. Unmatched ridigity and good luck grinding through a set, even at 200mph. But that doesn't mean I'm going to ride in them every day.
That being said, The Oxtar is the only boot for you. Almost like a super strong running shoe and just as like and it looks good too.
DouweK.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motorheads look cool. Ankle looks very stiff though, regarding buckles. The Oxstar is interesting, but im not so sure about the look (the sole!).

All three look like good boots. I need to do some checking. Thanks for all the ideas so far! Keep em coming!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DouweK said:
That being said, The Oxtar is the only boot for you. Almost like a super strong running shoe and just as like and it looks good too.
DouweK.
I'll try to find a dealer and test-fit them.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
MetallicCarrot said:

Yeah... YAWN here too. Good luck buddy. I walk around in my SIDI boots too, not the most comfortable I agree. My point is that you cannot predict when the BIG SPILL can occur. :eek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have the Teknic Defender Boots..all black don't overly look racer and are quite comfortable on the bike. I wouldn't recommend them to go for a long walk but good for just getting somewhere and walking around a tad bit.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WIM-RC51 said:
Yeah... YAWN here too. Good luck buddy. I walk around in my SIDI boots too, not the most comfortable I agree. My point is that you cannot predict when the BIG SPILL can occur. :eek:
So? Sell your bike and buy an H2. Please let's not turn this into a risk vs. reward discussion...

Oops. Too late.

Back on-topic. Thanks to everyone for the STREET boot recommendations. Now I have to find a dealer for some test fitting.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
MetallicCarrot, here is a decent place to get stuff. I've had no problems. They have a few Sport-Touring type boots. My old Gaerne Shockwaves (3 yrs) have become my "street" riding boot. No problems walking. They have two "falls" and have held up perfectly.

My new Gaerne G-RS have only seen one track day, but are comfortable and will most likely be my street boot this year.

Yes, I use the stereotypical black "logger" buckle boot when on the H-D's or Customs.:D

·
The "Eagle" Has Landed
7,093 Posts
MetallicCarrot said:
So? Sell your bike and buy an H2. Please let's not turn this into a risk vs. reward discussion...

Oops. Too late.

Back on-topic. Thanks to everyone for the STREET boot recommendations. Now I have to find a dealer for some test fitting.
Well, I did not sell the bike. But... I did buy a Range Rover, and.... biggest of all.... I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Dude - you asked for opinions, I gave you one. No need to get your knickers in a twist. To each his own. I can only speak from my individual experience.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. May the Almighty Asphalt Gods never make you reconsider.

:wheelchair:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I've been wearing my Sidi carbon fiber Vertebra boots now for 4 seasons and they are still in great condition. I will definitely replace them again with almost the exact pair if I can.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts