Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, I suppose it gets the point across, but not very smart. Too dangerous. As far as american traffic laws... just another way for governments to make money and keep the middle class in its place. :shifty:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I don't see the point in it.

Instead they annoyed every day commuters rather then annoy the ones that create the traffic laws. I don't think the ones responsible for creating and enforcing the laws give a crap about students holding up commuters trying to prove a point.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I thought it was a good idea. Proves that the speedlimit is too low. Might make some heads turn. :gun_bandana:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ill tell you what, if I was that dude parked on the side of the highway who's mirror got knocked off because of these a-holes Id wring every one of there freakin necks. No doubt the van was at fault but these JO's created the problem......plus the asshat in the left lane WAS breaking the law by failing to keep right. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
858 Posts
It makes a lot more sense if you've ever lived in Atlanta. Their experiment does draw attention to the laws on the books. The ones that need to be added and more importantly, the ones that are never enforced. (i.e. Failure to yield to faster traffic) Germany has this one right. They give tickets to the guy/girl in the left hand lane. Not the speeder, unless it was a marked zone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree too many LEO's do tend to have wood for speeders more so that F2KR violators. I hate left lane hogs myself.
However, their experiment is still BS, the part that asinine movie leaves out is how many accidents did it cause in the back?
In congested areas those moronic rubber neckers create accidents so can you imagine what the potential risks of these JA's were?

·
Registered
293 Posts
NewRedRider said:
It makes a lot more sense if you've ever lived in Atlanta. Their experiment does draw attention to the laws on the books. The ones that need to be added and more importantly, the ones that are never enforced. (i.e. Failure to yield to faster traffic) Germany has this one right. They give tickets to the guy/girl in the left hand lane. Not the speeder, unless it was a marked zone.

I've heard that they are very strict with reckless driving (including tailgating) as well. Reasonable speeding is not considered reckless driving.

check this out.... from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limit

85th percentile rule
Since the 1950s, traffic engineers have relied on the 85th percentile rule. The idea is that the speed limit should be set to the speed that separates the bottom 85% of vehicle speeds from the top 15%. The 85th percentile closely corresponds to one standard deviation above the mean of a normal distribution.

In practical terms, the 85th percentile speed is slightly higher than the flow of traffic. It has been observed that vehicles traveling over the 85th percentile speed (or faster than the flow of traffic) have a higher crash risk than vehicles traveling around or modestly below the 85th percentile speed.

In theory, the speed limit should be set below the 85th percentile speed only if crash records suggest an unusual hazard that cannot be mitigated by other measures such as restriping or engineering improvements. However, in practice, speed limits in the United States are generally 5 to 20 MPH below the 85th percentile speed. This is partly due to political pressure, arbitrary laws or regulations[1], and the fact that many jurisdictions use the 85th percentile speed only as "guidance" or a "starting point."

One theory in support of 85th percentile speed limits, advanced by traffic engineers, is that drivers are, in whole, reasonable and prudent; drivers are able to discern road and traffic conditions, and thus able to select appropriate travel speeds in most cases. Therefore, even if the 85th percentile speed is above the posted limit, it can be prudent to increase the limit to the 85th percentile speed. (Note that traffic engineers do not argue that all drivers make perfect choices in all situations. Rather, they argue that the aggregate speed choices are usually reasonably safe.)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ill tell you what, if I was that dude parked on the side of the highway who's mirror got knocked off because of these a-holes Id wring every one of there freakin necks. No doubt the van was at fault but these JO's created the problem......plus the asshat in the left lane WAS breaking the law by failing to keep right.
No no no no... it was not the fault of the people obeying the law that a moron hit another car....it would not be their fault if a bunch of asshats in back dont know how to control a car at 55...and lastly the slower traffic move right...well that is for people going under the speedlimit. (I know, I have been pulled over for passing over the speedlimit, how the hell are you supposed to get around someone going 55 if your not allowed to go over 55? I dont know, but agruing with that state patrol got me nowhere.)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
(I know, I have been pulled over for passing over the speedlimit, how the hell are you supposed to get around someone going 55 if your not allowed to go over 55? I dont know, but agruing with that state patrol got me nowhere.)
My bro got nailed in the exact same situation. He had to good sense to accept his fate. :001_tongue:

Just joshin' ya! Seriously, though, like it or not, the speed limits are there. If you are over the speed limit you can be ticketed and that's that. Most cops have a 10 over rule. What's that they say on Bob and Tom? 9 is fine, 10 you're mine.

There is a road in my town where cops hang out and it really ticks me off. The speed limit is a measly 35 MPH on a 4 lane road with virtually no traffic at any time of day. By all rights, the limit should be at least 40, if not 45. The cops, however, are well aware that no one will actually drive the limit, absurd as it is, and use this section of road to fill their monthly citation quotas. Boils my blood, it does.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Bock919 said:
There is a road in my town where cops hang out and it really ticks me off. The speed limit is a measly 35 MPH on a 4 lane road with virtually no traffic at any time of day. By all rights, the limit should be at least 40, if not 45. The cops, however, are well aware that no one will actually drive the limit, absurd as it is, and use this section of road to fill their monthly citation quotas. Boils my blood, it does.
That's called a speed trap. AND it's illegal. Good luck getting anything done about it though. They're using it to generate money and buy more radar guns. Same thing when I see a small town cop car patrolling the interstates. There's a town down here called North Port and the cops drive about 5 miles north just to sit on the interstate and write tickets. Absolutely absurd! It pisses me off everytime I see them sitting on the interstate. They have no business patrolling the interstates. If I were a citizen of that town I'd be pissed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts