·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh no...i couldn't get heat installed this past summer
too damn much money with all the new rules
too many changes to the garage, might as well do an addtion...later
i'll just use that frukin [email protected] kerosene heater again again again

well 5 days b4 my first track day of the year...it's reachin a balmy 35 degrees outside, which puts it about 30-32 inside the shop where sits my little trackho in need of some tunin

last time out...ran a couple laps, had to re-grid (rider off..blah blah blah, rider fine) bike wouldn't restart, hate friggin mystery problems, especially any damn thing that's gonna cut into my limited track time

rearsets are max'd up and back w/ staggered offset (tricky welding)...gettin to be too much w/ the old knees, new skins, sag dance, figure out what the hell the yosh box is doin, change oil, chain adjust etc. etc.; normally i'd be lovin this work but the cold takes the fun right out of it...:angry:

anyways, makin progress on the list, no big deal...then somethin went in ol' nellies coolin system and the 91 130k E250 van may or may not make the trip to VIR:cursing: ...nothin like bein stuck on the side of the road 2hrs south of richmond at 2am:no: ...great, gotta fix it AND prolly rent a van too, nothin like spendin a little more insurance $$, 16-18hrs round trip is bad enough, i ain't riskin it

alright...enuff whinin...i got work to do :D
later

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
One of the dudes up my way likes to tinker with his bike. He also has a freezer for a garage. His solution was to get a propane heater, he loves it.

Nothing worse than wrenching under those conditions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just recently acquired a used wood pellet stove (TY dada) for my garage, thermostat controlled, been keeping her at 50degrees unless I know I got some work to do in there then I kick her up to 60. Its da bomb! :D

G

·
You guys whine too much!! :lol:

In another 4 weeks or so, I won't be able to work in my garage without a fan or two. Give it 8 more weeks and I'm done in the garage untill the monsoon hits in August!!:cursing:

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
I have an attached garage on my place. When I bought it, it had just stud walls.

I put some r-13 insulation in the walls and above the ceiling, threw up some drywall... now when it's 10 degrees outside, it's like 35-40 or so in the garage. The heat from my car heats it up when I pull in... Crazy fiberglass.

I'd check into that... And into a different van maybe :)

·
Stare into me...
1,926 Posts
The cold has kept me outta the garge for the most part, but when I go in their for a projest, I use good old fashioned Ceramic heaters

Dude drop 35-75$ on a li'l space heater at Home Depot......$$ well spent....your fingerss will thank you.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
When I need to work on my bike in the cold, I use a heater that takes kerosene. The friggin' thing sounds like a jet taking off when on but it heats the garage up pretty fast.

Good news is that this Friday, we're supposed to go up to 13C (which is 55 degrees fahrenheit for you Americans!). May take the bike out for a quick ride so that everyone around can breath a sigh of relief, I'm so bitchy right now!

G

·
SportyChick said:
...we're supposed to go up to 13C (which is 55 degrees fahrenheit for you Americans!). May take the bike out for a quick ride...
You don't ride when it's cold? :blink: There goes my fantasies....

·
Registered
115 Posts
SportyChick said:
When I need to work on my bike in the cold, I use a heater that takes kerosene. The friggin' thing sounds like a jet taking off when on but it heats the garage up pretty fast.
If you're talking about those lil torpedo heaters you might want to be real careful using that, Im pretty sure those arent meant to be used indoors with no ventilation. Ever feel sleepy while working on the bike? :001_unsure:

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, i've got one of those forced air kero jobs...

i'm never comfortable running it in the garage and it's not just ventilation but the thing is always kickin sparks...gotta watch which way it's pointed

anyways, mostly squared away but work and the van r jammin me, gonna be a busy couple of days...time for a weekend capping libation:clover:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
i just stick my hands between Sporty's legs to warm them up...

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
Hey Pete,

Seriously consider a ventless propane heater in the ole garage. I had one installed when I built the new garage 30 x 40. I keep it between 55 and 60 for pennies a day during the Winter. Believe me it's much nicer to wrench when you can't see your breath!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I remember years back having to replace a head gasket and turbo. Laying on a cold concrete floor in the dead of winter with no heat ... sucks!! It just drains the heat out of your body.

With the latest house, during construction, R-19 walls, R-30 ceiling, epoxy on the floors, "Race-Tech" PVC floor tiles, and an electric blower heater built in the wall. Does not make it hot, but just comfortable enough to work when necessary.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
XFBO said:
If you're talking about those lil torpedo heaters you might want to be real careful using that, Im pretty sure those arent meant to be used indoors with no ventilation. Ever feel sleepy while working on the bike? :001_unsure:
Well that explains why I passed out the one time..................yeah I know this, that's why I stick one end out the door when using it and cover the door opening with something.

Motohead said:
i just stick my hands between Sporty's legs to warm them up...
Yeah if mine aren't there already, that's where I warm my hands up as well.

G

·
i'm a gas fitter and oil burner mech and those ventless heater aren't allowed where i am
and all gas appliances would be 99% efficient if they didn't have venting or chimneys

G

·
Cold? No!

I'm renting, so I really can't do everything I want to do with my garage and infortunately the door leaks some air at the bottom.

Last summer I went to an auction and bought a big Kerosene Reddi-Heater for $35.00. That sucker will heat my two car garage in less than 5 minutes and it's made Winter wrenching much more than tolerable, without running the electric bill through the roof. I open the back door, fire up the heater and turn it off and close the door once the shop is warm. The leakage under the front door keeps my alive.

It does sound like a jet engine when it's running but I only need to run it for a few minutes every hour. Just don't try using one of these things when youre painting. Trust me....

Next, I'm gonna buy one of those Harbor Freight bike lifts. Man, one of those things will really help you get some work done. Screw bending over all night and laying on a cold floor! At $300 on sale theyre a real bargain.

Mymindsok

·
Registered
18 Posts
GDJAM said:
The cold has kept me outta the garge for the most part, but when I go in their for a projest, I use good old fashioned Ceramic heaters

Dude drop 35-75$ on a li'l space heater at Home Depot......$$ well spent....your fingerss will thank you.
I agree... Mine will raise the temp to about 55 deg. when it is 25~ 30 outside. Also, the boiler for the house heat is in the garage, that helps.:thumbup1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.