Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me to a full brake fluid flush procedure?
  • 2007 919
  • 1060 miles
Brakes work well but I was told to flush the fluid. I have read several different methods for bleeding but I don't understand the fact that there is a front and rear master cylinder. I've only worked on cars.
understand methods for bleeding but are the front and rear 2 separate systems. Do you add fluid in the front master and also in the back?

·
Registered
2006 919, 2020 Zero SR/F
18 Posts
Correct, two totally separate systems that need to be bled individually. Front MC is on the handlebar, rear MC is above the brake pedal. This video is a good overview:

When I did mine recently I also installed Speed Bleeders and can't recommend them enough. They replace the normal bleeder screws with a one-way valve, so you don't have to worry about sucking air back in, you can leave it cracked and pump the lever/pedal to push new fluid through super easily.

These are the correct speed bleeders for the 919 if you go that route: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001657AMO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, two totally separate systems that need to be bled individually. Front MC is on the handlebar, rear MC is above the brake pedal. This video is a good overview:

When I did mine recently I also installed Speed Bleeders and can't recommend them enough. They replace the normal bleeder screws with a one-way valve, so you don't have to worry about sucking air back in, you can leave it cracked and pump the lever/pedal to push new fluid through super easily.

These are the correct speed bleeders for the 919 if you go that route: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001657AMO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks so much for the advice. Makes sense that they are separate. My TW200 and other bikes that I've owned probably had cable driven rear brakes. Thats why it seemed different.

·
Registered
2006 919, 2020 Zero SR/F
18 Posts
One other point, this would be a good opportunity to replace your brake lines with stainless steel braided lines. The original rubber lines are going to be getting pretty worn out just like your tires.

These are the lines I used:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other point, this would be a good opportunity to replace your brake lines with stainless steel braided lines. The original rubber lines are going to be getting pretty worn out just like your tires.

These are the lines I used:

After Tires and Coolant flush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts