Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an '02 R6 salvage title. Needs plastics. Real cheap. My first track bike. What should I look for to make sure it is raceable. Never going to register it. Plan on putting work into it. Just don't want to start with an "unfixable" bike. I know this doesn't relate to naked bikes or my beloved 919, but I trust your opinions more than the squids in the general sportbike forums. Thanks.

·
Bitten
5,451 Posts
99% of your "squids" in the general forum are experienced track riders. Since that is where I hang out, I assume you are referring to me as well.

Also, since most of us use the "new posts" button, they will read the title, just like I did and click on it, not even realizing it is in the Naked bike section.

Next they will read your post and then keep good honest opinions to themselves since you just called them squids.

Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dry up! You know who I am referring to. Obviously I know there are lots of guys in there who are very experienced track riders with alot to offer, but how the hell am I supposed to tell between them? Point is, I have had many discussions with the naked bike guys here and elsewhere and know whose opinion is valid and who is just starting out. Tuck in your tampon string and stop taking everythings so personally. If I didn't like sport riders I wouldn't be looking for a track bike now, would I? But a large portion of sport riders are not sport riders, they are squids and don't pretend you don't know what I am talking about. I used to ride an R6 with a bunch of them and they don't have a clue, as long as the windscreen is chromed and there is a fender eliminator. I am sorry to have offended your ever so soft skin...

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
blackbetty said:
Found an '02 R6 salvage title. Needs plastics. <snip> I know this doesn't relate to naked bikes or my beloved 919, but I trust your opinions more than the squids in the general sportbike forums. Thanks.
Humm... How to make friends and influence people 101!:rolleyes:
You want the opinion of a 919 owner? Well here it is... We have a great core of seasoned track riders here with a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that. And you are one of the people I am referring to when I say "trusted opinion." Thanks Mike. Back to my original question...

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
Check the cam chain tension, run chilled water throught the heat exchanger in your brain, have a cool one or two, mellow down a bit, get off of the I'm above all the squid stuff and therefore my pulpit is extremely high (which most of the folks around here are anyway but don't have to tout it) and spin the prayer wheel one more time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, Penelope, I never said anything about being better than anyone. If I thought so much of myself, I wouldn't be asking such fundamental questions. Apparently the only thing you guys are good for is "witty replies" and not so much info. "For christ's sake, It's like playing cards with my brother's kids or something..." It's a simple question, targeted at a knowledgeable reader with a simple answer. Very, very defensive. I didn't realize I was posting to the needle-work forum. Let's grow up and talk about some bikes!

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
You didn't turn on the chilled water in the heat exchanger, Yo.

Snap a couple of good pics of your salvage-cycle and post them here. Let's get a good look at your catch and then talk about fixing her.

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
Yo Betty. I took this shot of my Car hole a few minutes ago. This is where shiot happens, so it looks like shiot to the untrained eye.
So whats the hold-up?

·
Exhausted
664 Posts
Things to do or look for. The carbs are very tempermental I would go with a Ivan's or Factory Jet kit. The dynojets sucks something horrible. The cam chain tensioner just started going on mine after around 10-11k. The subframes tend to get bent in crashed. Make sure you put some case savers, clip-ons, and rearsets. Frame sliders couldn't hurt. Above all best improvement good tires and suspension. That and ride the piss out of it. They like to be ridden that way fellow squid.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Looks like I need a defintion for squid.I always figued it was one step down the ladder from a poserboy someone doing stupid **** on the road.not wearing gear ,gen stupid ****...

Oh I maybe a squid(no proper gear)

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
One sign of a civilization in decline is the misuse of common terms.
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"
Struthers Martin, COOL HAND LUKE. 1967

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, though it is quite obvious I have nothing to speak to you about. Just bought the bike. Thanks for all the quality input. Over and out...

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
You are overly sensitive. And where are the pics?

BTW, last thing anyone around here is gonna do is smooch your heinee because you asked their advice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
<<< professional squid, motocross w/no helmet in sandals broke a footpeg and spent most of 1999 limping around like an invalid due to the fractured ankle

919 wheelies grabbing gears while in the air... miss the shift, tank slapper ensues, no crash though "i was proud of me"

900rr lowsided in 2000 at a track day, riding it hot with worn out tires cause im cheap, cost me 1200 bucks in repairs to save 200 on a tire that I bought anyways.

bought a nice craftsman riding lawnmower last week. and put a walmart light up skull shift knob on it and underglow lights under the hood, awaiting the arrival of the blue GT racing steering wheel. very squidly but I think its funny...too bad the wife does not approve
thinking I might paint it up to match Mark Martins Craftsman truck.

so... I would appreciate an end to the negativity towards squidly people. I'm feeling underappreciated.

:punk:

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
Can't remember the last time a thread got so completely derailed from the original question. :wacko:

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
Well, I'll be working out in that shiot-hole of a garage I posted a pic of one page back. Let me know if I can post anything else that may be totally misconstrued.:scooter: :blink: :tongue_smilie:

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
ok, tighten up your chit girlies and give the 2-wheeled-brother-man chance, it was a fair enuff Q ...i refer enuff folks over here, don't need them bein turned off cause one of u pudknockers is a little grumpy

'general sportbike forums' could have meant 'other forums' like sbn or sportbikes.ws or somethin...not necessarily W.T. general sub forum, i took it that bb was givin WT props as a place to go for good 411

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.