Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new thread in the "Wanted Classifieds" reminded me of one that I thought about starting recently. If anyone has ever been part of a Dale Carnegie Course there is a part in one of his books about having a folder called "Fool things I have done" to write stuff down and have a list of things on hand to refer back to, laugh at yourself, and learn a lesson from. We all have such a list whether it's in a folder or just in your mind.

Since the 2 wheeled beasts we find so fascinating are also prone to bloopers, what are some of your motorcycle goofs? Here's one of my most recent:

I pulled into the garage area at work one day last year and was parking in a tight space on the 919. Did the big no-no of dismounting on the opposite side of the stand. To my surprise the damn thing kept going and WHAP on the floor. Embarrassing part was that the space it fell into was so tight I had to go get another guy to help me pick it up. Stator cover is still scuffed up and I left it that way to remind me to ALWAYS double check the side stand and dismount on the left side! :eek:

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,707 Posts
I stuck a metal coat hanger across the terminals of a deep cycle marine battery to help discharge it. It welded itself to the terminals, glowed red hot, melted and dripped onto the battery, melting completely throught the top and welding itself onto the plates. I went out to buy a new battery after that. I did not laugh.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think this qualifies...

Rode my dirt bike into the back of my pickup one muddy day at the track. Right boot slipped on new bedliner, bike & I fall over to the right side. Bike pins right boot against inside of truck bed. I fall over side of bed & hang helplessly upside down untill friends quit laughing long enough to free me from my condition. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Greg said:
Rode my dirt bike into the back of my pickup one muddy day at the track. Right boot slipped on new bedliner, bike & I fall over to the right side. Bike pins right boot against inside of truck bed. I fall over side of bed & hang helplessly upside down untill friends quit laughing long enough to free me from my condition. :rolleyes:
HAHAHAHAHA, I would have left you hanging, well at least until I got some good pics!

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Doing some finish carpentry work a few years ago pulling a boxcutter style razor knife toward me while holding the trimboard, and you guessed it. Slip and whoosh, fullspeed hard cut right across the top of my left hand. Got a good look at internal structure of my hand. Learned to push sharp objects instead of pulling them.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Greg said:
nothing like a good monday morning laugh... thanks ;)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I was soldering some wires and trying to make sure everything was in the right position. As I reached over to pick up the iron, I somehow managed to not only touch the hot part of the iron, but pick the blasted thing up between thumb and forefinger by the heat element. Hurt like the blazes, healed up in a couple days.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
I bought some speakers for my house without first consulting with motohead. Now my house burnt down, my car blew up, and I grew a set of 34D's....

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
ragdoll said:
I bought some speakers for my house without first consulting with motohead. Now my house burnt down, my car blew up, and I grew a set of 34D's....

We want pic of the 34D's

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
I over did the PCP one night.....mistaked my junk for a Sausage and two pickled eggs...it was a tasty meal...but left me with a certain unsatisfied feeling afterwards.

I've also been known too operate snow blower in an irresponsible manner.

JohnnyB

G

·
first bike I had after a long long injury lay-off, and first one with more horsepower than my pet cat, ran out of fuel, never used fuel tap on it before since it's brand new so pull over to the hard shoulder, get off, fiddle around with it, sorted - remount, plenty of beans, let the clutch out - WHOOPS! too fast - I'm seeing 6 lanes of traffic through my forks :D

fortunately (thanks to luck, nothing more) it never flipped, I stayed on, and off I went, wheel back down and re-joined traffic :D

coulda been a real mess :eek:

·
Registered
417 Posts
After taking a string of 25mph curves at 35mph that were actually 50mph curves, and feeling like I could jump off and run... I speed through the last 25mph curve and find that it's actually a 20mph curve. I jump a dirt hill and cut a rut through some grass and dirt. Never went down, but my tires looked like those funky colored ones, only in tan.

Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Several years back. Pulling into the gym parking lot in front of the huge open "garage" type doors. I turn slightly to the left so I can stop and back the bike in. Well, while turning, I braked a bit hard and started dropping the bike. Though, I saved it from totaling hitting the ground, pulled the groin on the right side holding it up. Tried to walk in the gym like nothing happen, but everyone saw and got more than one, "Hi, crash".:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Following the bike theme...
I was riding my dirt bike at age 13 and Kevin was recording me with the camcorder. I come to a stop and look at the camera. Kevin stops recording and I think to myself, while reving the engine, "Why am I holding in the clutch?" :confused:

Next thing I know the bike is rolling away up on the back wheel and my butt is on the ground! :eek:

Kevin looks over at me while laughing hysterically and says, "You had to do that after I stopped recording!" :D

Boy am I glad that wasn't caught on tape.

·
919 City Pilot
1,043 Posts
I pressure tested a wing tank on an aircraft.......book said .50 PSI as I am diyslexic at times put 50 psi into it. Before I knew the tank grew 300% as I of course being on top on things hit it with may hands to make it smaller and you guessed it "POW" damn thing split like a watermelon.

I was the boss and took all kinds of grief for that one ......

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Took an eight hour and change ride from KY to Fla (jacksonville)With little to no chainlube.After I got there noticed all the slack in the chain.Instead of getting a ride,rode the bike to get some Chainlube...Didn't make it to the shop chain doubledover and punched a mean sized hole in the engine case.

·
Registered
465 Posts
ragdoll said:
Heck I want to see a pic of that too!!:D

·
Registered
465 Posts
ok here's my opps story. First time I am getting ready to ride a major highway on my two fiddy, my friend is behind me in his truck to watch me and buffer me on the highway. I met him for breakfast at a Dennys. As I am pulling out to the red light, thinking I am a Ms. Billy Bad A$$, I tip right over when I stop...forgot to put my feet down!! DUH!! LOL He gets out of the car, 2 other gentleman get out of their car asking me if I am ok etc.

My friend asks me what the heck happened, I saw you come to a stop and you left your feet on the pegs!! :eek: At any rate, I got back on the bike and headed for the highway..nothing was going to deter me that day!!:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts