Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst checking my valve clearances today I realized just how toasted my engine head cover was. There is some of this corrosion on the side as well, but is mostly localized to the top.

Experienced folks out there, what can I do about this? I plan on buying some paint to touch up the surfaces, but want to treat it as well so it doesn't instantly come back.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would start by striping the plastic coat that Honda applies to parts, this can usually be removed with a strong paint remover. Back in the day my friends and I would use a paint remover by the brand "El Pico", nowadays it seems to be an aerospace product, probably because it has some gnarly chemicals to it. You can also bead blast it with a good high-quality bead material that will not harm the cover, walnut shell-based materials are good for this. Remove the coating and you should be down to bare aluminum, then you can have it chromed or you can paint it with good high-quality engine paint. A chrome shop may be difficult to find so do some shopping before you commit to that method.

·
Wrenchin
40 Posts
Best lasting finish for that would be to take it in and have it powder coated. Tons of color options and the finish will last as long as the bike if done correctly. While you have it apart, do the PAIRS delete.

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
The valve cover on my bike was also corroded. No pitting, just paint flaking off.
I lightly sanded mine then painted with a heat proof spray paint followed by a heat proof clear coat. Rattle cans. Hasn’t corroded again.

·
'02 919
33 Posts
My cover wasn't quite as rough as yours, but I had a fair amount of pealing and corrosion too. I started with a medium grit foam sanding block, resurfacing it, working up, then ending with 600 wet. Sprayed 6 coats of Dupli-Color automotive self etching primer, wet sanding between the second coats. Then sprayed 10 coats of Dupli-Color BGM0490 Pewter Metallic. It doesn't match perfectly (a little lighter), but close enough.
20210416_215918a.jpg

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
I fixed the issue of the valve cover paint not matching the engine by painting the entire engine.
Did this while valve cover was off during valve check. I used Dupli colour, cast coat iron.

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
I’ve also seen some later model 919s in Australia with the silver/grey engine and a Matt black valve cover. Doesn’t look too bad.

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Black powdercoat
Yes, it's dirty

Attachments

Reactions: Islandboy

·
'02 919
33 Posts
As mentioned earlier, now would be a good time to install block off plates. It really cleans up the front of your cover and you wouldn't have to worry about repairing and painting the PAIR valve castings. I bought the Kyle Racing block off plates. They are simple plates, and I chose to use the valve assemble gaskets instead of sealing it up with RTV. To do that, I had to route a relief in the under side of the plates for the valve attachment screw clearance.

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
I also used the valve gaskets under flat block off plates, but I drilled out the screws and removed valve reed assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! I ended up sanding it down heavily, then using the Pewter paint others have mentioned. It came out great! I'll post pics soon.

Now it makes me want to paint the rest of the engine 😝

·
919 Rider
2,790 Posts
Thanks guys! I ended up sanding it down heavily, then using the Pewter paint others have mentioned. It came out great! I'll post pics soon.

Now it makes me want to paint the rest of the engine 😝
Painting the engine is easy. Paint the engine in the frame. Remove valve cover, coils etc, remove air box/throttle bodies, remove radiator and header pipes, remove side plates. Then mask up frame and everything else.

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Painting the engine is easy. Paint the engine in the frame. Remove valve cover, coils etc, remove air box/throttle bodies, remove radiator and header pipes, remove side plates. Then mask up frame and everything else.
Ain't nuthin but time...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts