Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got 1300kms (800 miles) on the '06 R1 and it obviously needs first service.

Now this is where the fun begins!
I've got warranty on the bike so I thought to be on the safe side, I'll take it in for first service so as to not void the warranty as someone told me this would happen. Call around to some shops, most are booked up as this is the beginning of our riding season. One shop could fit me in and quoted me $300 for first service and I asked why so much, service manager told me that they need to "sync the throttle bodies". Ok call me stupid but isn't the '06 R1 fuel injected??? How the hell do they "sync the throttle bodies"?

Another shop quoted me at $120 and I asked about sync'ing the throttle bodies and he said they don't do that but check to make the butterfly injectors are lined up. Gawd dealerships drive me crazy!

So I asked if I do the oil change myself, would I void the warranty. They said no but it may be difficult to get warranty wrok done. Well guess what, I'll take my chances, give me the oil and oil filter and I'm doing it myself for $50.

G

·
You might want to get you turbo charger and your machine gun clips checked while you are at it. So far, I have found that the Ducati shop works on my Honda much better and more affordably and more efficiently than all six Honda-ish shops i have tried. Luckily since you have a Yamaha, you probably will not have a warranty issue.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Sporty - synching the throttle bodies is actually synching the butterfly valves so they are all in the same position. It's still a mechanical adjustment even on FI bikes. Seems like it would be only a check so early in the bike's life and if they were out of synch you'd likely feel it with a snatchy throttle, rougher idle or a sputtering/hesitation throughout the rev range.

The cheaper shop might be doing the same job as the expensive shop just calling it something different.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the valves have to be checked at 40,000 kms but I've never heard of having to have it checked at first service!

This is the list the one shop gave me that they check for:
Air filter
spark plugs
valve clearance
engine oil
engine oil filter
rear end oil
fuel line
idle speed and balance carbs
throttle cable
clutch cable
brake cable
rad hoses
engine coolant
drive chain
front brakes
rear brakes
front tire and wheel bearings
rear tire and wheel bearings
steering head bearings
front forks (oil) and seals
rear suspension
exhaust and pipes and bolts
chassis and bolts and nuts
lube foot rests and passenger pegs
lube side stand
check all lights
adjust head light aim
battery level and load test
universal joints

I got the list and I'll do my own check and I'm sure it won't take 3 hours and $300.

G

·
SportyChick said:
rear end oil
rear suspension
lube side stand

I got the list and I'll do my own check and I'm sure it won't take 3 hours and $300.
Give me 2 minutes to check all of the above....:devil2: just 2 minutes!

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Checking valves at first check up is common. The local Honda dealership around here wants to do that too. They say that if it's going to go out of whack, it's usually in the first miles after the bike was made.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
I've been following this thread and thought I would give you my $0.02 worth. Your warranty is in effect no matter who or where the service is done as long as you can show a sales receipt for the important items like oil and oil filter. The Throttle bodies need to be checked with multiple monometer ( I prefer the Carbtune II; no mercury ) at sometime waaay down the road. As long as the motor idles smoothly they should not be a issue.
All the rest is common sense i.e. chain, fluid levels, and so on...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did buy an OEM Yamaha oil filter and I will keep the receipt as well as keep a log of everytime I change the oil. I have a log that I've kept from day one for the F4i, so it's nothing new to me.

I've also gone over the bike and found a few bolts loose and the front brake looks like it may be leaking just a tiny bit. The bike idles/runs just fine, smooth acceleration and doesn't feel "choppy".

Hey HondaJim, lend me your "dipstick" to check the rear end oil!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.