Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been without a bike for a year or so. Decided to pull the trigger on a 2002 919

I should have an update tomorrow.

·
Old, Bold rider
2,476 Posts
Welcome to the single best source for information / opinions / silliness on the 919. What are the particulars on the one you're looking at? Remember to ask any questions you may have, and despite what you may read here, spending all your discretionary income on modifications is not required, but can easily happen!

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
good choice,fun bike,best of both worlds ,power and comfort,once the mods start they wont stop.good luck!!!!

·
Al
189 Posts
A great little surprise in the 919

I was without a bike for about 13 years. I decided to get back into it on a reasonably safe level bike, so I decided to try the V-Twin VTR-1000. It was supposed to have most of what I wanted in a bike,, good pulling power, the sporty feel etc etc etc,, but I even though I was reasonably happy on the VTR, I was always going to get back onto 4 cyls, sooner or later... The VTR may have somewhat disallusioned me because I found myself almost looking for a reason not to go for rides after a year or more of owning it, because it could be quite harsh on me in that seating position and to be honest, it didn't have that v-twin mystical ooomph that everyone used to rave about. As a matter of fact I was quite disappointed with this...

I test rode a 919 2 weeks ago and was so impressed with it that I sold the VTR 3 days later and bought the 919. It has more pull than the VTR at almost any revs and apart from the upright position, I feel totally at home on it. It just does everything better. I am now one very happy camper and can hardly wait for this weekend to arrive because I am off into thum ther hills...

At the time of getting back onto a bike, the three bikes on the short list were the 919 and the VTR and an SV-1000. It just took me a few years to get around to the 919. Now I am here, I will never touch another "V"... Personally, I think you made a real good choice...!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Now I am here, I will never touch another "V"... Personally, I think you made a real good choice...!!!
I completely agree with what you say. I drove a few Vtwins before buying the 919 and I was never impressed with the power delivery compared to the 4.

·
Community Admin
4,396 Posts
Welcome aboard, Oak! Let us know how you make out and then post some pics! :)

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked er up tonight. Very nice. It has the feel I was missing since the departure of my beloved ZRX 1100. It is flickable yet stable and predictable. It feels light on its feet, good power and the fuel injection seems well calibrated. Couple of minor items. Someone put bar end mirrors on it and I do not like them. Easy fix. Needs new grips. Already bought. Missing a gromet for one side cover. Will get one ordered. It was very dirty. Gave it a bath. Someone cut off the stock rear turn signals and plate frame. :no: They also put some small flush mount blinkers on the rear fender cowling.:no: It has a funny front tire that almost looks like a dual sport pattern.:001_huh:

All minor stuff. This thing rocks.

Pics soon

·
Tirone is my middle name
1,300 Posts
Welcome Oak, where abouts in WI are you?

if you pull the small flush mount rear blinkers off let me know, I may be interested.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love to get the large blinkers back but they cut off the mounts. I will have to keep the small ones.:no:

Anyway Here she is.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kenosha.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, about the front tire. Not only is it a off road looking tire, but looking at it more I can see it was put on backwards.:huh: It had a state park sticker on it and was very dirty even muddy. I think the previous owner tried to take it off road. Weird. I took the mirrors off, removed the park stickers and cleaned up the exhaust with scotch brite. Oil change this weekend. Order up a proper set of mirrors and install the new set of grips I picked up. And just ride it.

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts