Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a new member but I'm a member with a 919. Brought home a 2007 with 1040 miles. I'll be doing a lot of reading and have a bunch of questions
  • Need new tires. They look good but are original
  • Need to change oil and coolant
  • Wife wants me to put a box on the back she can also use as a backrest. Do they make any that easily remove?
  • Needs a good cleaning and detail​

Can’t wait to get on the road

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not a new member but I'm a member with a 919. Brought home a 2007 with 1040 miles. I'll be doing a lot of reading and have a bunch of questions
  • Wife wants me to put a box on the back she can also use as a backrest. Do they make any that easily remove?

Tires are subjective. I run Dunlop GPR 300 because they are cheap and frankly I don't believe the difference is that much for putting around town. I have never changed the coolant in my 2007. Oil is easy enough to change on your own. Good luck finding mounts to hold a rear case.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts

I'd also do brake fluid and suspension oil personally. Checked the airfilter? My green one came with a free mouse nest in it.

Reactions: Islandboy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ooh, the elusive 2004 green one!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tires are subjective. I run Dunlop GPR 300 because they are cheap and frankly I don't believe the difference is that much for putting around town. I have never changed the coolant in my 2007. Oil is easy enough to change on your own. Good luck finding mounts to hold a rear case.
Do you think my coolant would be good for a month while I do other things? Is there a way to simply look at it? Does sitting typically impact the coolant?

·
Left of Centre
4,042 Posts
Do you think my coolant would be good for a month while I do other things? Is there a way to simply look at it? Does sitting typically impact the coolant?
It's pretty stable, usually. If you can't see pond scum on it, or wildlife swimming in it, I think you're good to go.

The GIVI boxes are good, but the mounting parts are getting harder to come by. I think the sidebox mounts (GIVi #FZ256) are the rare ones, but you might still find a rear mount (#PL256) floating around. Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Definitely don't ride on those original tires. 15 year old tires ain't safe (dry rot, decreased traction, hardened rubber, etc.) no matter how they look. Recommendations? Depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing as every manufacturer makes a tire that will fit the 919. I'm currently running Michelin Power RS front/rear.

I would change the oil and would eventually get around to changing the coolant w/ Pro Honda HP. I wouldn't be worried about the bike staying cool but I would be a bit anxious about the coolant lubricating components breaking down due to age and rust/mineral deposit formation within the system. Maybe in 1000 miles or so though.

I like beefsalad's recommendations to also bleed the brakes, change the fork oil, and check the air filter.

·
Registered
2002 919, Asphalt
265 Posts
Welcome to the club! I've got a GIVI box with the optional backrest pad that works well. On/Off with a twist of a key and push of the button. Pricy unless you can find used. As K1w1Boy said, the side racks are getting hard to find. I also have a Corbin saddle with the removable backrest. I really enjoy the Corbin saddle and the removable backrest goes on/off with a single allen head bolt after removing the saddle. Both are good options for a backrest. I've got 56,xxx miles on mine. You should get years of service.

As for tires... I run Michelin Road 5s at the moment and am well pleased.

Good luck with all of it!

·
Registered
82 Posts

Pictures!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts