Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you all get the extended warranty on your 9's? The year is up next week and I am having a hard time "procuring" the funds. What kind of claims have you guys who have it put in (parts only please, as I do all my own service). Am I being tight and stupid or saving some loot? I know we can't predict the future, but what are my odds? :arabia: thanks for the info...

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Never got one never plan on getting one. IMO it is a waste of $$$, I call it dealer revenue enhancement.

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
I did buy the extended warranty on mine when I bought it in July of '03 but I haven't had to claim a single thing yet. All the repairs to mine have been from "self inflicted" wounds.

I bought it mainly because of the amount of electronics on the bike. The sales guy convinced me that 1 hard to find electrical problem would make it worthwhile to buy the warranty. Or maybe I was suckered into it. Either way, I'm comfy knowing that it's covered till '08-09, sometime in that zone.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Your dealership will price match warranty plans and chances are that another dealership will have a lower price. I live in Wisconsin, found a Honda dealership in Alabama or something that sold a 4 year extended warranty for $385 whereas the normal price for it was like $680-$780. I told my local dealership, they matched it no questions asked.

I have a 2002 RC-51 and the warranty paid itself off already. Blew a master seal on the engine.($450) So here we are 4 years later, bike is still under warranty for another year and the $385 is just a memory. I doubt you will ever had problems with your bike, but it's a nice piece of mind.

P.S. They even covered new fork seals under warranty ($125)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
May want to check dealer you bought it from. They may offer an extended service agreement @ a much lower cost. There's a dealer here that does this & was told that if you do purchase Honda's extended warranty, the dealer in which you bought bike from gets 10% of it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealership is great. I'm buddies with the sales manager so they hook me up. $350-$400 for the plan. Again though, I do my own service. I know sh#% happens, but flat broke. Damn student loans never go as far as you'd hope. Can't wait to start making some actual money...something tells me that I'll still be broke, just with more crap (especially bikes)...haha

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Well if you are scraping by, don't get it. Especially if you can do the work yourself. Sounds like things are rough enough, I wouldn't do it in that case.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got the extended warranty back in 03 when I bought the 919, because the price was what I thought quite good (high 200s).
I haven't used it so far, but like someone said it's peace of mind until 2008 or something like that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Got it in August of 04, so coverage til 09. Was 280ish? My bike's been totalled twice since, but the local dealer still says any motor problems will be happily covered. Haven't used it yet, but don't consider it wasted money.

·
919 City Pilot
1,043 Posts
My 03 broke a clutch spring alowing the bolt to back out and tear up the case. It was covered under the standard 1 year agreement. Damn bike only had 1400 miles on it then......oil/filter and tires since then with only a low side to buy extra parts for.

If something is going to go wrong its going to happen withing the first year or a week after your coverage ends.......just murphys way I guess.

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
Yo Pegjump...

I was trying to remember who it was that had the clutch come apart.

That's obviously a rare occurance. Has your 9er been the typical Honda ever since then?

·
919 City Pilot
1,043 Posts
Not a problem since....well a battery and spark plugs, a few lamps go figure!

another 5 k and I will put a new chain/gears on just for fun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got burned on a "extended warranty" deal on my 900rr that I bought brand spankin in 98... was sposed to be covered till 2004, when I bought it I paid 400 bucks through the dealer... the dealership folded in 2002 and I blew 2nd gear 2003. NO DICE... 400 bucks down the drain plus almost a grand for the tranny work. 1400 dollars poorer and a lot more pissed off.
919... no extended warranty no problems since 2002. If you blow it up make sure you have fire and theft on it and lose it in a lake. LOL j/k I don't want state farm tough guys beating me up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just bought extended warrantee. Like an insurance policy. I usually never do but this time I thought what the heck. I don't expect to have any problems but nice to have it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.