WristTwisters.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shootist357
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few posts about fixing the broken exhaust bracket on the 919's. I'll contribute and get all my info/drawings/etc to the powers that be and have them uploaded to the dropbox.

I just need to clean it up a little and hit it with some paint. Overly built out of 1/4" plate because it was what I had on hand. I could reduce the weight it it was a real concern. Fit is perfect and my spacer bushing is going to end up at 15.5mm in length.

Attachments

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
I know there are a few posts about fixing the broken exhaust bracket on the 919's. I'll contribute and get all my info/drawings/etc to the powers that be and have them uploaded to the dropbox.

I just need to clean it up a little and hit it with some paint. Overly built out of 1/4" plate because it was what I had on hand. I could reduce the weight it it was a real concern. Fit is perfect and my spacer bushing is going to end up at 15.5mm in length.
I look forward to seeing that!

Also, were you able to access the existing info in the Dropbox, or did you get what you were looking for from previous threads and posts?

·
Shootist357
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look forward to seeing that!

Also, were you able to access the existing info in the Dropbox, or did you get what you were looking for from previous threads and posts?

Little bit of both !!! I try to search the forums for info and see what is already out there. My final product came about with lots of measurements and cardboard templates. I'm finalizing a user friendly printable template for anyone to use that will include all the technical info.

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
Little bit of both !!! I try to search the forums for info and see what is already out there. My final product came about with lots of measurements and cardboard templates. I'm finalizing a user friendly printable template for anyone to use that will include all the technical info.
Fantastic!
But will your specifications call up 1/4 in. thick material?
LoLs!

·
919 Rider
2,679 Posts
Yeah the exhaust bracket broke on my 919 too.
A combination of age(2002), corrosion and cheap loud exhaust cans. Vibration me thinks.
Nice fix mate.

·
Shootist357
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is a draft copy in JPEG format -- not sure if it will print to proper size. I will request my PDF version be uploaded to Dropbox which I know will print to scale. Any questions, ideas, etc please let me know. *** EDIT -- just tried to print from JPEG, I'm not the smartest puter guy, but I could NOT get it to proper scale from JPEG.

Attachments

·
Shootist357
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a small chunk of what appears to be 1/8"--need to mic it once i get a clean edge. I'll try cutting one out of 1/8" and see how durable it is.

Weather here has been cold and wet, so my original one has been sitting here primed and ready for paint -- maybe today I'll paint it. Doesn't have to be show quality paint on this piece.

·
Shootist357
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slapped some paint on this morning and did the install this afternoon... I have to admit, I like the 1/4" mount...It is never going to flex or break. Used the stock threaded centerstand holes, a longer bolt for the exhaust hanger, and a 15.5mm spacer.

Attachments

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
Slapped some paint on this morning and did the install this afternoon... I have to admit, I like the 1/4" mount...It is never going to flex or break. Used the stock threaded centerstand holes, a longer bolt for the exhaust hanger, and a 15.5mm spacer.
Hmmm, I'm looking at the location of the added mass. There will be a Centre of Gravity relocation on all three axes as a result of that bit, plus a change of polar moment. No doubt the changes will be in terms of tenth's of thou's of a percentage point, so much worry is due on my part.

Nice job.
I'll add the post and the pic to the document in the Dropbox.
Can you e mail me a native file version of the pic?

·
Shootist357
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, I'm looking at the location of the added mass. There will be a Centre of Gravity relocation on all three axes as a result of that bit, plus a change of polar moment. No doubt the changes will be in terms of tenth's of thou's of a percentage point, so much worry is due on my part.

Nice job.
I'll add the post and the pic to the document in the Dropbox.
Can you e mail me a native file version of the pic?

I can remember when a certain manufacturer was adding 5 lb weights to the bottom of the frame to lower the center of mass and improve handling on race bikes! Mine should corner much better now :) ( I should have weighed the bracket--I'll cut another one and weigh it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice one Mike. I used 1/8” plate myself as I had some circular steel off cuts. I have an aftermarket centrestand and the stop plate uses the same two mounting points on the frame. My spacer seems longer than yours but it all fits ok.

Attachments

·
McTavish
6,226 Posts
Nice one Mike. I used 1/8” plate myself as I had some circular steel off cuts. I have an aftermarket centrestand and the stop plate uses the same two mounting points on the frame. My spacer seems longer than yours but it all fits ok.
I will create a document with your comments and pictures and put it in the Dropbox.
I think you are the first to do such a repair modification for a bike also fitted with a centrestand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will create a document with your comments and pictures and put it in the Dropbox.
I think you are the first to do such a repair modification for a bike also fitted with a centrestand.
It wouldn’t be so easy with the OEM centrestand as the pivot axis tube goes all the way across and would foul the bracket.

·
Shootist357
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just saw this -- my sons bike has a factory centerstand, I'll take a look at it for a bracket mod. Shouldn't be much more difficult--either cut/grind the space for it, or make a hole for it.

·
919 Rider
2,679 Posts
After the exhaust bracket broke on my bike I also fitted a DIY bracket. I use the OEM centerstand. I cut away a piece of the centerstand so it would not foul on the bracket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts