Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Anyone running these on the hornet? Pros and cons?Feedback vs. OEM nissins?
I have them and they work well, and get heavy use on the track.
They are a bit noisy around town, squeaky that is, at lower speeds.
You can also feel them come in as they heat up, don't worry, there is cold braking effect that is good, but as they heat up you can tell and they get better.
If all I did was do street riding, I would stay OEM which are pretty good pads.

Another point. I have EBC rotors on. I realize a number of people have not liked their EBC HHs but I don't remember any strong reasons. Anyway, it may be that the actual formulation and processing of the EBC rotor material is different enough from OEM Honda, that the HH pads are happier on EBC rotors than stock rotors. I'm just guessing. There has to be a reason why there are the complaints there are, yet I have no complaint at all, and I am a very picky guy.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I ran the EBC HH's on the stock rotors....... what I didn't like, with the stock rotors ---- there is an initial grab that happens....then they let off a little, then come on strong. At speed this didn't happen. They'd drive me nuts using them in the city.......

·
Le So Cal Troll
5,766 Posts
I ran the EBC HH's on the stock rotors....... what I didn't like, with the stock rotors ---- there is an initial grab that happens....then they let off a little, then come on strong. At speed this didn't happen. They'd drive me nuts using them in the city.......
this is why i ALWAYS run the oem nissin pads up front on all my nissin braked hondas.... always had great stopping power that didnt do anything funky like described above.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
I'll cut & paste from a previous thread

The main pad people refer to when it comes to the EBC Brand is their "HH" model. Some people swear by them and others chime in accordingly, but I can tell you from first hand experience that the EBC HH pads are crap... The backing plates are too thin and the heat causes them to warp which creates parasitic drag.

Now inevitably someone will pop up & spew out something along the lines of "I've been using them for years and have never had a warping problem". Yea well those are usually the same guys that say their tires "stuck like glue" all day when they review the latest rubber donut for their steed. If they never got the tire to spin up they weren't riding it hard enough to find the limit of traction and the same is true with the brake pads. Those that don't have problems with the EBC pads are typically the guys that aren't riding hard enough to need the HH Sintered pad and funny enough they are also usually the ones that praise them the most...

10-12 years ago when there were no other choices for HH type pads the EBC's were better than most in spite of the warping problem (although I preferred DP pads back then ) , but huge advances have been made in the technology behind brake pad compounds and now there are many far better choices out there in fact I think the OEM Honda pads outperform many of the brands race pads from even just a few years ago. They have the feel, feedback and outright stopping power and even the longevity in some cases that would put most race pads to shame from the same time frame that the EBC HH were initially sold.

I can also tell you from personal experience that when EBC was paying contingency money (they may still be I dunno) many club racers were running the EBC stickers on their bike and using a different brand.

As a sidenote it is also worth mentioning that EBC made a "kit pad" HH with thicker
backing plates that did not warp. I have seen these in person, but have never seen them for sale nor do I know where to get them, but again either way there are many better choices out there for both street & track use.

Another pad to stay away from is the Ferodo SinterGrip ST. These have got to be the most inconsistent pads I have ever tried and they lack any type of feedback at all.

Since we are on this subject also be aware that if you are switching to a new brand/compound of brake pad that you need to clean the old pad residue off the rotor for it to be truly effective. The best way to do it is by glass bead blasting the rotor surface, but I realize not everyone has a bead blasting cabinet in their garage so a cheap alternative is to use a maroon scotch-brite pad and some simple green and a lot of elbow grease to scrub both sides of the rotors & I mean scrub... It takes a lot of effort to get that metal residue off the rotors & your fingers will ache when you are done, but the end result is worth it & be sure to rinse the Simple Green off thoroughly too.

Also be aware of certain spray can Brake Cleaners. Many of them leave an invisible film that coats the rotor and reduces the effectiveness of your new pads.

http://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/need-brake-pad-advise-21697.html

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The main pad people refer to when it comes to the EBC Brand is their "HH" model. Some people swear by them and others chime in accordingly, but I can tell you from first hand experience that the EBC HH pads are crap... The backing plates are too thin and the heat causes them to warp which creates parasitic drag.

Now inevitably someone will pop up & spew out something along the lines of "I've been using them for years and have never had a warping problem". Yea well those are usually the same guys that say their tires "stuck like glue" all day when they review the latest rubber donut for their steed. If they never got the tire to spin up they weren't riding it hard enough to find the limit of traction and the same is true with the brake pads. Those that don't have problems with the EBC pads are typically the guys that aren't riding hard enough to need the HH Sintered pad and funny enough they are also usually the ones that praise them the most...

10-12 years ago when there were no other choices for HH type pads the EBC's were better than most in spite of the warping problem (although I preferred DP pads back then ) , but huge advances have been made in the technology behind brake pad compounds and now there are many far better choices out there in fact I think the OEM Honda pads outperform many of the brands race pads from even just a few years ago. They have the feel, feedback and outright stopping power and even the longevity in some cases that would put most race pads to shame from the same time frame that the EBC HH were initially sold.

I can also tell you from personal experience that when EBC was paying contingency money (they may still be I dunno) many club racers were running the EBC stickers on their bike and using a different brand.

As a sidenote it is also worth mentioning that EBC made a "kit pad" HH with thicker
backing plates that did not warp. I have seen these in person, but have never seen them for sale nor do I know where to get them, but again either way there are many better choices out there for both street & track use.

Another pad to stay away from is the Ferodo SinterGrip ST. These have got to be the most inconsistent pads I have ever tried and they lack any type of feedback at all.

Since we are on this subject also be aware that if you are switching to a new brand/compound of brake pad that you need to clean the old pad residue off the rotor for it to be truly effective. The best way to do it is by glass bead blasting the rotor surface, but I realize not everyone has a bead blasting cabinet in their garage so a cheap alternative is to use a maroon scotch-brite pad and some simple green and a lot of elbow grease to scrub both sides of the rotors & I mean scrub... It takes a lot of effort to get that metal residue off the rotors & your fingers will ache when you are done, but the end result is worth it & be sure to rinse the Simple Green off thoroughly too.

Also be aware of certain spray can Brake Cleaners. Many of them leave an invisible film that coats the rotor and reduces the effectiveness of your new pads.

http://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/need-brake-pad-advise-21697.html
:bugeyes: Damn, why don't these older threads pop up when I do a search?! An opinion from both sides of the camp is appreciated. Well they're on the bike at this point and I'll have to see if I do feel a difference.

Care to mention any brand/models you are happy with nowadays for more spirited riding/occasional track time?

·
Back in the day
270 Posts
I have had very good experience with Vesah JL and RJL pads, on the street. As mentioned by Arctic initial bite can be annoying and not be much fun in limited traction situations, IE rain. The Vesrah JL pads are very good street pads. The RJL are more for track days, with more initial bite.. Though I use RJL's on the street, on the RC, I have to be careful.
Stock OEM pads are always a good choice for the street. Mild initial bite and the more you squeeze the harder it stops, in any weather. Hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Am trying out a set of Vesrahs in my rc51 calipers.....so far I like them....time will tell though when a couple track days hit.....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny thing is, as I look at the old pads I pulled off and compare to The ebc's I put in, they appear to be the same. Hhmm, A quick call to the previous owner...toink! Apparently the bike came with HH's when I got it! Well I have no major complaints yet over the last 8,000 Kms i rode the bike in town, in the twisties and a buncha track sessions. So I guess it gives me what I need for now, I did feel a marked difference on the braking on borowed 1000rr though. All around feel and stopping power, the braking was better. But I'm guessing that's more than just brake pad differences at play there.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yep.....radial mount calipers w/ a radial master cylinder make a big difference over the 919.

Even with stock lines, many of the new gsxr's & r1's have 1 finger braking.

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Yep.....radial mount calipers w/ a radial master cylinder make a big difference over the 919.

Even with stock lines, many of the new gsxr's & r1's have 1 finger braking.
So called radial mounted calipers have zero effect as a component, seeing as all calipers are displaced radially from the axle centreline in order to position them over the swept area of the rotors. The only reason we have "radial mounts", is because of upside down forks, there is no fork leg to use for bracket attachment. Radial Master Cylinders are another story though, but that's already been well covered recently.

·
Back in the day
270 Posts
RC calipers are not "radial mount".

I do not think that it makes any difference whether a fork is inverted or not. A RC fork is inverted and uses conventional calipers with adapters. I think it is easier for the manufactures to make the radial mount part of the fork bottom and they have to make two less parts and it is probably lighter.
There are a lot of reason that a monoblock radial caliper is better then a conventional caliper.
I do not know if there are any regular forks with radial mount calipers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I reciently fitted new EBC rotors with EBC HH. Right from the off they felt terrible!
A lot of queeling and snatching but worst of all the pads seem to tear at the rotors leaving bad scoring. I have taken them out de-glazed but there were still the same. I fitted genuine Honda pads and just as bad...so must be rotor prob. I've ordered Kyoto Organic (softer pads) in a hope they may work. Otherwise i will have to fit gen Honda rotors ... very expensive!

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
I reciently fitted new EBC rotors with EBC HH. Right from the off they felt terrible!
A lot of queeling and snatching but worst of all the pads seem to tear at the rotors leaving bad scoring. I have taken them out de-glazed but there were still the same. I fitted genuine Honda pads and just as bad...so must be rotor prob. I've ordered Kyoto Organic (softer pads) in a hope they may work. Otherwise i will have to fit gen Honda rotors ... very expensive!
How long did you let your pads and rotors break in ?
New HH pads = absolutely zero front brakes when you first start out.
HH pads need a proper break in.
Did you attempt to speed up the break in by hard braking too soon ?
HH pads will make the rotors look like they are getting some hot spotting and some scoring. Mine do.
I also noticed some brake pulse when my EBC wavvies and HH pads were new. It was a weird feeling and it went away over time.
Meanwhile, my rotors remain arrow straight, my pads are lasting, and I have good brake feel, and good braking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
EBC rotors ... HHpads

Yep I persisted with a good 300 mile break-in on the pads and rotors mostly town riding but some heavy breaking too. There was no improvement. I've knotched up 43,000 on my hornet commuting + track so tried lots of pads and never had this trouble....so must be a rotor prob. Still waiting for the organics to turn up so will let you know the outcome. .... My rad sprung a leak too so my bikes in bits at the mo + it's freezing in london so may be a week or 2 to get back on the road !!

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Yep I persisted with a good 300 mile break-in on the pads and rotors mostly town riding but some heavy breaking too. There was no improvement. I've knotched up 43,000 on my hornet commuting + track so tried lots of pads and never had this trouble....so must be a rotor prob. Still waiting for the organics to turn up so will let you know the outcome. .... My rad sprung a leak too so my bikes in bits at the mo + it's freezing in london so may be a week or 2 to get back on the road !!
You said you bought new EBC rotors and pads.
What is the dealer saying ?
You simply should not be experiencing what you have described.
How about posting a picture of what the rotor face looks like.

·
smileage
120 Posts
Hard to beat most stock pads.

EBC is good at sending you replacement pads for free though, have to give them that

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
My rad sprung a leak too so my bikes in bits at the mo + it's freezing in london so may be a week or 2 to get back on the road !!
I fuckin love London, but I can't make enough money to live there at least not in the manner I am accustomed to :)

Found a locals dive bar over by the Tottenham Court tube that serves Cruzcampo beer and they about had to remove me kicking & screaming the whole way when it was time to leave

·
Tirone shoelaces
744 Posts
...was hoping this would show up :thumbup1:

...I think the OEM Honda pads outperform many of the brands race pads from even just a few years ago.
Is there a brake pad available today that has advantages over the OEM pads?
- for enthusiastic street use in a warm clime with a few track days a year -

BTW, I am on my second set of pads at ~21,000 miles.
These EBC HH's are looking a bit worn and will need replacing in the not-too-distant future. I'm thinking that at 25,000 miles I'll need to get serious about replacing them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts