Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which earplugs do you wear? I've been using the Mack's SafeSound Soft Foam (they're green) from the local CVS Pharmacy. Cheap, comfortable and do the job nicely. Later this year I plan on making a few thousand mile journey and to pass the time it'd be nice to fitup a MP3 player and maybe a comm unit but don't want to sacrifice too much silencing of wind, road and exhaust noise.

Suggestions?

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Suggestion

You cant' do better than this. (Except for custom ones) Look at what else they offer, they have some audio plugs for your MP3 pleasures also.

The great thing, as you will read, is that they reduce sound at all levels. So it's not muffled, just quieter. Neato eh?

G

·
ragdoll said:
Suggestion

You cant' do better than this. (Except for custom ones) Look at what else they offer, they have some audio plugs for your MP3 pleasures also.

The great thing, as you will read, is that they reduce sound at all levels. So it's not muffled, just quieter. Neato eh?
Do you use them?
How far do they stick out of your ear?

·
Quitting is for Quitters!
1,798 Posts
My husband started wearing earplugs recently, he keeps telling me to try it. I guess its good for the wind noise but can you still hear everything else? He says he can.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
You can hear what you need to. Sirens, horns, stuff like that. But it cuts down on engine and exhaust noise a lot, and no wind. I find that I can ride much better with them. Can concentrate a lot more.

·
Registered
858 Posts
LittleNinja said:
My husband started wearing earplugs recently, he keeps telling me to try it. I guess its good for the wind noise but can you still hear everything else? He says he can.
Ear plugs help a lot if you have a loud pipe or doing high speeds for long periods of time. You don't realize the dB level of the wind until you stop and take your helmet off. For normal riding I don't use them because it desensitizes me to the enviroment. If you're a rider that depends a lot on the feel of your bike for shifting as I do AND you still have a stock pipe, I'd suggest you don't wear them unless you're going on a long ride. I found myself riding in 5th thinking I was in 6th because I couldn't hear the rpm level. Well the Leo changed all that!

Kev, I use almost the exact same thing as you. I bought some orange foam ones from CVS. I like them. They don't stick out too far and are very comfortable. Plus you can pull them out of your ear just a little bit if you want to hear more.

PS Welcome over Ninja girl!

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
My wife swears I'm wearing ear plugs when she speaks to me.

·
1,798 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Ear plugs help a lot if you have a loud pipe or doing high speeds for long periods of time. You don't realize the dB level of the wind until you stop and take your helmet off. For normal riding I don't use them because it desensitizes me to the enviroment. If you're a rider that depends a lot on the feel of your bike for shifting as I do AND you still have a stock pipe, I'd suggest you don't wear them unless you're going on a long ride. I found myself riding in 5th thinking I was in 6th because I couldn't hear the rpm level. Well the Leo changed all that!

Kev, I use almost the exact same thing as you. I bought some orange foam ones from CVS. I like them. They don't stick out too far and are very comfortable. Plus you can pull them out of your ear just a little bit if you want to hear more.

PS Welcome over Ninja girl!
NewRedRider????? Where have i seen this screen name before?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I started wearing some last year especially on longer rides and fast rides, that wind noise gets deafning. I upgraded to Heros and they are very good, but yet you still can hear what you need to hear. Sometimes I do forget them and I am like ugghhhhh,.....what did ya say? heh?? LOL

·
Registered
858 Posts
LittleNinja said:
NewRedRider????? Where have i seen this screen name before?
From Streetknights. You and your husband went on that Charity ride with me I believe.

·
1,798 Posts
NewRedRider said:
From Streetknights. You and your husband went on that Charity ride with me I believe.
ahhhh haaaa! I knew it! It was the slow pace ride I did with you. :D Cool! What's up?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Though illegal, I like to wear my e2c Shure earbuds plugged into my minidisc player when doing long(ish) rides. The wind noise on a naked is awful.

·
Left Hand Suzuki Method
844 Posts
Hehehe... I used to wear the sony earbuds while riding to work. Some nice low tone music like lenny kravitz and such. Just cruzing along and watching the sun come up.

G

·
Ear plugs ?

A short story :

While driving with my wife in her '68 Mustang, and a friend. My wife appologized for not having a radio. My friend smiled, rolled down the window and looked at us "I hear music, a symphony of headers and tail pipes."

No ear plugs for me either, I like hearing the wind.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
After reading this I may have to give them a try use them at work,so why not on the long rides.Never noticed the wind being very loud,but thats the problem with this kinda stuff you don't notice it.(not even after the damage is done!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the teal blue ones from publix/walmart.Best ive used so far.

The ends are tapred and i give myself a wet willy before i put it in....works great!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts