·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(copied and pasted from s2ki.com)

A Bar is No Place for Drunks!!!
Written by Drew Gross
Mar 26 2006

In a bit of brilliant detective work, undercover agents in the state of Texas will begin infiltrating taverns and clubs to arrest individuals for being intoxicated. The announcement came this past Wednesday from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

The first of these undercover operations was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents arrested 30 individuals for public intoxication in a “sweep” of 36 bars, according to the commission's Carolyn Beck.

When pressed to explain the reasoning for arresting people while still in the bar, Ms. Beck explained: “Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness. The goal,” she said, “was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.”

When asked about those who are responsible and have either designated a driver or planned to use a taxi or other public transportation, Beck responded:

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car, people walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She was please at the early success of the program and stated that these “sting” operations would continue statewide.

We at S2ki applaud the ingenuity of these Texas law enforcement officials but feel they didn’t go far enough. The key to preventing alcohol related crime is to arrest these criminals before they get drunk!!

For example:

An angry guy storms into a bar and orders a double… It’s obvious he’s not going to stop at one, why not arrest him now, before he can get drunk and belligerent? Not only that, but think of the added safety and convenience for the arresting officers. Drunken guys frequently upchuck in the back seat of police cars. This is not only unpleasant for the officers involved, but the time it takes to clean and deodorize the official vehicle is that much less time those officers can be out on the street looking for Osama and his buddies!

It’s even worse if the drunks make it into the holding cell before they spew, then not only do you have a sanitary issue correction officers will have to deal with, (taking away from their valuable time interrogating the various suspected Al Queda operatives brought in that day), but you’ve also provided a very potent form of ammunition for the other inmates to show their disdain for these hardworking correctional officers.

That guy standing in line at the supermarket with a 1.75 liter bottle of Smirnoff, a quart of OJ, and six frozen dinners… he’s obviously not planning to entertain, he’s going to drink that bottle… and fast! Sure he’ll probably be in his home at the time, but what if he goes outside to get the mail or take out the garbage? PUBLIC DRUNKEDNESS!!! Another crime averted!

This has been yet another friendly public service provided by the concerned staff here at S2ki. We hope these suggestions will be helpful to the Texas authorities and encourage other states to similarly act. (Except of course the states we live in…) __________________

*****end article*****

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Interesting... That new law was in the news a few days back. From what I recall Texas has the worst drinking problem including DUI's of all the states.

What is your opinion, should the authorities be able to arrest you in a bar for being intoxicated or not?

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I am not a drinker and I hate drunk people but, I think that it is within your rights to get drunk whenever and wherever you want as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others. Our police depts are not Gods, otherwise, crime wouldn't exist nor they have a crystal ball to see if that drunk guy will wanna kill himself or swim in a pool of his own blood after missing the water pool... for all you know, he's gonna get into a cab and go to sleep after a hard day's work :D

That being said, I am all for the police officers to do a sting OPERATION where they would arrest the guy(s) as soon as he(they) would pull out of the parking lot drunk because the last thing I (or we) need is one of those A$$holes hitting me while I am driving home or worse...driving with my wife and kids. Hell, I would be happy if they were to arrest the culprit as soon as they would walk to the cars and point the key to the key hole :nono:

·
Registered
379 Posts
They said they arreated 30 people in a sweep of 36 bars. You can rest assured that there were more than 30 drunk people in all of those bars. They probably arrested people at the extreme end of drunk...I say good job.

·
Registered
858 Posts
What a bunch a hipocrits. Those same cops go to the neighbor "bar" and grill and sit there and drink with their buddy's after work, and sometimes during work. How many of them would qualify as being "publically intoxicated"? I'm not a drinker by any stretch of the imagination but to arrest people for the potential to commit a crime is just pure Nazism! Arresting drunks for disturbing the peace is one thing but to actively seek out people sitting in bars is going over the line. :sneaky2:

·
Living the dream
1,246 Posts
Why I think in general it is going to extreme, I can see where if they hit 36 bars and only got 30 people they obviously are going for the extreme drunks.

I go to clubs often (granted I am there playing music as DJ at times) and I can tell you most the time there is way over 30 people drunk in just that club.

·
919 City Pilot
1,043 Posts
I tend to drink to excess on occasion....I never drive or ride while on the happy juice.......If I am tanked in a bar be assured Im walking or cabing it home......

That said if I am not yelling, pissing in people front yards or passed out in the middle of the road....LEAVE ME the FK ALONE!
Im a Happy drunk but if hassled I will never forget it, unless I black out...

Texas is wrong

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're being arrested for public intoxication, not DUI, in excess of .08 breathalyzer - most of the people who've been arrested are blowing .17.

·
919 City Pilot
1,043 Posts
Since when is .08 public intoxication? Thats driving yes....but when you leave your keys and walk your looking at a simular charge just for walking down the street....
We have the Public Intox law in az to.....as long as you dont make yourself a loud mouth jerk they leave you alone.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Public Intoxication Statute of Texas

49.02 Public Intoxication

"Public Intoxication" means:

A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

"Intoxicated" is defined as:

1. not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or
2. having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.

An offence under this section is a Class C Misdemeanor. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class C misdemeanor shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $500.00. However, for a minor, the punishment terms are in the same manner as if he committed the offense of Possession of Alcohol by a Minor.

source - http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/49.02.html

·
Registered
858 Posts
turn_1 said:
This is just like minority report!!!!
That's what I was thinking. The problem I have with this kind of "operation" is the perception of wasting manpower on petty crimes. I think they have their priorities a little mixed up. I don't think they should be putting such manpower towards "potential problems" until they can tell the good people of Texas that they have all of the child molesters, rapist, murderers, thieves, and bank robbers in jail. The only reason they go after the drunks is because they are an easy target. I'm sure the Texas Highway patrol could use extra manpower. They ride around alone most of the time covering wide expanses of territory. Why not help them out first?

I wonder how many officers they have on sting operations for child molesters?

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with all the money they'll make from this surely they can hire a few more investigators for other crimes. this is a cash cow.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's more likely that they'll just buy more radar guns and breathaylyzers.

·
Enormous member
232 Posts
Seems a bit much, to me.

I wonder if there will be a movement for bars to become "private clubs" in order to avoid this kind of hassle. Couple places in Georgia have done it to get around some of the bar closing laws.

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
Purely a cash motive here...

Child molestation stings do not get the type of $$$ that a crackdown on drinkers do. You can arrest many more drinkers than molesters on a given night at $500 a pop too!

At first I thought this was a joke while I read it... but then I thought.. holy sh!t they are for real! Not sure I aggree with it as sometimes you go out to get your drunk on and take care of things like designated drivers and a place to crash...

Havent done it in a long time, but it doesnt say I never want to do it again. I have even gone to dinner with the wife... had a few too many... and could easily be 'publicly intoxicated' under this law. EASILY!

I say BS.

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
There really doesn't seem to be a happy medium. Wonder how it will stand up in court when all is said and done.

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my guess is it'll stand up just fine. it's already on the books as a law, they're enforcing it now more than ever and I'm looking for a legal loophole but not seeing one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.