Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Should cell phones be illegal to use while driving?

• Yes, stop the insanity!!!

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No, but hands free set should be used while driving.

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • No, I can't live without my cell while driving.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Site Founder
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you be willing to support and comply with a law that would make it illegal to use a mobile phone while driving?

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
Yes I'd avoid using a phone while driving (but I did just get a phone with Bluetooth. I think I might try weasel some of the Oakley glasses. I won't be trying to use it while riding in any case).

·
Registered
858 Posts
Not everyone is dangerous while talking and driving. The police do it every day. The point is to teach people HOW to do it safely. I don't agree with big brother legislation on personal freedoms.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have The Boom earpiece...best investment I have ever made with a cell phone..everyone can hear me even if my windows are down and sunroof open on the highway...plus I can hear my clients well too. I am all for a no hands type of device..in my business, my cell is very important. :D

·
Enormous member
232 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Not everyone is dangerous while talking and driving. The police do it every day. The point is to teach people HOW to do it safely. I don't agree with big brother legislation on personal freedoms.
I call bull****. Ever ridden with a LEO? The talking they do while driving is limited to short bursts that really don't require much thought, just reporting the situation as is. A telephone conversation is a completely different animal.

Also, a recent university study shows that handsfree does not mitigate the problem significantly. It's not the dialing and holding the phone that's the problem, it's the attention that you have to pay to the conversation.

You can equate it to the same principles that Keith Code uses in the Twist of the Wrist books - you have $10 worth of attention, it's where you choose to spend it, and where you have to spend it, that makes the difference. When you're talking on the phone, you may be spending $8.50 on the conversation and only a buck and half on driving. Well, I don't want to depend on your buck and a half's worth of attention when my life is involved.

G

·
LEO's are the worst! Imagine listening to the service radio and goodtime radio PLUS eating a 12" Subway Meatball Sub while driving a Humvee at 85 mph on a highway filled with grandparent snowbirds from Minn., Ill, etc. (that only drive at 45 mph!) and then arguing with your amante (queridda!)(sp?) on a CELL PHONE!!

It's just too much! No wonder I have high blood pressure. :stir:

Stop the insanity!

·
Registered
858 Posts
The cops talk on the cell phone, type on laptops, talk on the radio, do paperwork, AND try to drive. I see it all the time. I have several friends that are cops.

But you missed my first point. Some people can't devote their attention to driving and talking. They simply can't delegate their brain to multi-task like that. Cops have to. They have no choice.

Face it people. There will never be legislation for this. Congressmen love their cell phones just as much as we do. They're not going to stiffle business by writing laws that would prohibit economic growth.

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Cell Phone Law = Communism

Are you a Communist?

This message brought to you by Uncle Sam and in part by the letter C.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just for the record, Ignorant means you simply don't know. I don't find being called ignorant a bad thing. I would take offense to being called a communist though. Are you sure you'd rather be a Communist?

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,705 Posts
JohnC said:
I'd prefer being Communist to being ignorant.
Foookkkk the commies!!!!!!!

Now back to the cell phone issue. Yes, I'd comply, and I have onstar hands free, too. Our search for convenience sometimes leads us to complacency.

And did I forget to say foookkkk the commies??????

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
You crazy old guys don't get it... I don't mean Communist like Cubans or something. I mean Communist like uh, like this lady

Or like this guy

·
Registered
379 Posts
NewRedRider said:
There are alot of states passing laws requiring a "hands free set" now. In those laws there is usually an exemption to law enforcement while conducting "official business". It would not look professional and may compromise officer safety to use a Bluetooth or other hads free device.

As far as the "big brother legislation", you elected "big brother" and it is for safety reasons....It has been said that driving while talking on the phone is just about as bad as driving drunk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts