Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working through the technical and mechanical steps for a bike that hasn't been ridden much.

Since it has been stored inside and only has 1061 miles I'm doing a detail to get it as new looking as I can. Mostly just a cleaning and detail.

Polishing pipes
cleaning slight corrosion or oxidation at a couple places.

Best way to clean and make screws look like or almost like new
Best way to clean or paint oxidized black parts

Wood Close-up Metal Household hardware Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Crankset

·
919 Rider
2,968 Posts
I had similar oxidation issues with the bolts/fasteners on my bike. I replaced what I could with stainless or titanium. Some I just bought new ones from Honda. Others like the black screws in the airbox I painted. Or any of the black bolts. Just use a cardboard box to hold the screws etc, like make small holes to hold them. Then spray paint. Use a heat paint and bake them. Not chipping the paint putting them back on the bike is the tricky part.
Good luck, it’s the little things that count.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I bought the bike it was a bit disappointing. Didn't look as good as I expected for a bike with 1000 miles. After a good cleaning, I'm like WOW it almost looks like new. A few screws to take care of, pipes to polish and I need to polish the slinky thing on the water hose. I don't want to take that guy off but it looks a bit tarnished.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleaning Engine and Black wheels and Gold calipers.

I used purple power to clean but it leaves a white residue. Others have used Alcohol, Naphtha, WD40 and Kerosene. Are they safe? Experiences with any being better?

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,784 Posts
I've always used kerosene followed by the old Honda Polish on the rims and swingarm to take off any remaining residue. I rarely ever put the bikes through a soap and water bath. For polishing hardware, I used scotch bright wheels, buffing wheels and polish bars.
Wear strong eye protection. I'm also lucky to have a certified fastener outlet in my little town. I can get from one to a pale full of screws, nuts and bolts from standard to aerospace and mil too. All grades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts