Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new one of my own a couple weeks ago, otherwise I would've scooped this myself.

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Man, I've read the glowing reviews and surely, an upgrade from the stock seat isn't much of a stretch, but the seams/stitching in aftermarket seats are an invite for water intrusion and my ass has been wet more than once. I'd like to hear your review once you have it installed. 500 mile days are no stranger to road trips and the stock seat, for what it is, has me standing on the pegs no more than any other bike I've owned. Keep posting, plz.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I've read the glowing reviews and surely, an upgrade from the stock seat isn't much of a stretch, but the seams/stitching in aftermarket seats are an invite for water intrusion and my ass has been wet more than once. I'd like to hear your review once you have it installed. 500 mile days are no stranger to road trips and the stock seat, for what it is, has me standing on the pegs no more than any other bike I've owned. Keep posting, plz.
I'm happy to report back after I've broken it in some.

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
I found stock seat to be extremely bad after 45 minutes.
The Corbin changed it totally.

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
That's what I hear. Met several riders with the conversion. Get rained on a lot during road trips, so a wet seat isn't up there on the list... is there any way to waterproof?

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Didn't Ken Phenix ride a stock seat? His ass is harder than Chinese 'rithmetic... lmao

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
That's what I hear. Met several riders with the conversion. Get rained on a lot during road trips, so a wet seat isn't up there on the list... is there any way to waterproof?
I just use their conditioner to preserve the leather.
But I can't admit to doing many rain rides any more, the only rain rides I've done in many years were surprise rain rides once out of town.
Never noticed anything about the seat, as I put rain pants on.
It still looks like new.

Corbin essentially still says don't worry about as long as proper ongoing care is taken. I just got this off their website now:
What happens if my saddle gets wet?

Don’t panic, water won’t damage your saddle. Corbin covers are extremely durable and are weather resistant too. Although the materials are resistant to water intrusion, the stitching in the cover can let water in. If this happens, your behind will probably get wet a couple of the times as you squeeze the water back out while sitting on the seat. The solution to this is to let the seat dry out in the sun for awhile. If you often find yourself getting caught in the rain, you may want to consider a saddle rain cover.
To assure that your leather seat retains it weather resistance, we recommend conditioning your seat on a regular basis with Corbin’s Saddle Cream or similar product. You should condition your seat at least as often as you wash your bike (TIP: Remove your saddle from your bike when washing it). We strongly suggest a regular coating of a good parafin or silicon based leather conditioner like ours… do NOT use cleaners or conditioners with a petroleum or kerosene base!
Good conditioning will help the leather to stay supple and age gracefully as it breaks in. Remember, much like your leather jacket, the leather will conform to your shape and develop its own unique character over time. Good care will go a long ways towards the lasting beauty of your new seat.

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Yabut I don't wear rain gear if it ain't rainin. The stitching on aftrmarket seats is gonna make your ass wet.. for extended periods. I don't see how that can ever dry out. More info, plz

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
Well, between what Corbin says and having a pair of rain pants with you for long rides or trips, it's pretty much covered.
A stock seat will have you sopping wet in a flash if it's pissing down rain, and its cover is waterproof with no pathways to the internals.
Perhaps a pair of Gortex undies?

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
Yabut I don't wear rain gear if it ain't rainin. The stitching on aftrmarket seats is gonna make your ass wet.. for extended periods. I don't see how that can ever dry out. More info, plz
Pretty sure the foam is closed cell, for sure the seat does not become boat anchor heavy when wet, and doesn't at all act like a sponge bath waiting to happen.

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
Yeah I try really hard not to get caught in the rain much these days. Although I don’t mind getting onto the trails with the DRz400 after a good rain.

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
HaHa. I have better rain gear than to have wet balls on the ride. I'm just curious as to how you dry the seat after a rainstorm?

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Closed cell foam is a great innovation, but is that's what is used in this application? Clueless

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
lemme grab a roll and take a look...lmao
Really, I'm just curious cuz I've heard so much on both sides

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
The stitching leaks. Agreed? How does the drying process work? Curious in Montana

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
The stitching leaks. Agreed? How does the drying process work? Curious in Montana
Yes, there is a leak path at the stitching.
BUT
-very fine stitching, and stitch holes don't grow with time so hole reasonably filled and thus blocks to some degree
-keep the seat conditioned, and the threads repel water so there is no wicking effect

My recollection is, wet ride, dry the next day, certainly dry enough.
The sun is your friend!

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Yes, there is a leak path at the stitching.
BUT
-very fine stitching, and stitch holes don't grow with time so hole reasonably filled and thus blocks to some degree
-keep the seat conditioned, and the threads repel water so there is no wicking effect

My recollection is, wet ride, dry the next day, certainly dry enough.
The sun is your friend!
Here comes the sun...but when

·
Wanna free cat?
777 Posts
Man, I dunno

1 - 20 of 31 Posts