Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new computer at work and they brought me in a couple test ones to try out. One had XP professional and one had XPx (64 bit version). I couldnt tell a difference between the two, and I dont think most of the programs I run even run at 64 bit (maybe they do?) Is there any advantage to this system over regular XP? Future releases etc....

·
That's nacho cheese!
17,705 Posts
Ok, I'll throw my hat in the ring. In my best Pee Wee Herman voice, "I don't know!"

·
Heavy Metal
4,304 Posts
extra special unique headaches for which noone has an answer...yet

·
Registered
100 Posts
The OS is optimized to make better use of 64 bit processors, which will make Windows run faster/better, but if the actual applications that you use don't take advantage of that. I wouldn't bother, but then again you're not paying for it and if the computer you are getting has a 64 bit processor, then go ahead.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not quite sure what processor it is but I do know its two in one, dual core or something like that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
oh, sounds like you are getting a Pentium D processor. If that is the case then just get the regular Windows XP, you wont take advantage of the tweaks that the 64 bit versions has.

·
Registered
858 Posts
jetblast10 said:
isn't there a new version of XP or business tailored OS just around the corner?
That and a number of new programs based on 64bit. I was thinking about what kind of software you guys are running at work? MS Office? CAD? Timberline? Databases? You have an IT dept don't you? If so get the 64 bit. :rockon:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts

yes. I just got from a friend a copy of a pre-release of the new MS Office. Its some weird sh*t I tell ya.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Motohead said:

yes. I just got from a friend a copy of a pre-release of the new MS Office. Its some weird sh*t I tell ya.
Really? Like what did they change this time! More stupid smart tags?!? What an oxymoron that is! :cursing:

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
The cover says MS office 2006... that's always good for another $ 300.00 :D

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
the whole toolbar at the top of each program is completely different...

and totally confuzzling. :confused1:

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Someone just hooked me up with an interface (more like a skin) that uses the Vista look while still using your Win XP OS... very cool!

The top bar magnifies the icon when you hit it with the mouse... MS probably charged like $300.00 for this new very nice looking gadgets :D

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Yes I do... :D

My kids PC is very old and it can not handle any of the new games but the boys don't care because they have the ps2 and xbox consoles. My daughter on the other hand... is a totally different issue so I had to install it on my pc so she can play on mommy's login ;)

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
Man, they copied Mac OS so bad there.

Windows XP 64-bit is good with a 64-bit processor. It will run faster. Applications have to be written to take advantage of 64-bit processing. But regardless, it's not like they will run slower on XP 64 over XP 32. But those that do come out that work with 64bit will be neato to the max.

XP will be replaced by a new OS in the next 6-12 months that will just continue to encourage 64-bit programs, and most likely they will be backwards compatible to XP-64 so it would be best to stick with a 64bit processor now, if it's an option.

Plus it's from work, so it doesn't cost you anything anyways.

Personally, I find the only time I challenge the processing power of my work computer is when I'm screwing around with something I shouldn't. I know most others are in the same boat. :001_smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts