Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Any suggestion about what product to use to clean titanium slip-ons?
I have used just simple water and a cloth in the past and even that seems to leave marks on the cans.. :mellow:
Thanks.
flatovercrest
03 919

G

·
I use plexus with a soft cloth on my titanium satos and it makes them look great! Plus, Plexus works great on the rest of the paint and plastic too!

·
Registered
214 Posts
get some micro fibre cloths... they won't scratch anything... and use gun cleaner. Go to your local gunsmith and buy some rifle protectant.

clean stainless/titanium polished aluminum... no scratches and a nice protective layer that water will bead on. Gun oil is also heat resistant so it won't burn off in 5 mins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work in a lab where we clean titanium parts regularly. Titanium will absorb and hold oils, and we have to get the oils out of the parts before working with them. We clean the titanium by heating it up a little, then wiping with acetone while warm. We complete this process 3 times. The heat helps drive out the oils, and wiping it down warm will eliminate more of the oils than doing it at room temp.

I don't know for sure, but some of the other products mentioned may actually be putting more oils into the titanium than actually cleaning them. I don't have titanium cans, so I have not tried this process on them. I'm sure the other products mentioned will probably work without issue. Just thought this may be helpful information.

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
We used to clean Titanium frames with acetone after polishing, but before decaling and pledging. It would really lift all the oil from your fingers off, the decals were dry release and any contamination meant you had to remove re-buff and so on. No heat cycles though.

The thing about the exhaust is it's allways going to covered in oil, or grime from the roads and so on. Unless you're talking show bike taking it to a semi even level of polish is good with me.

You didn't say what the Ti parts in the lab are for, but I'm guessing it's plumbing, and the oil will be contaminating what's in the tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Ti parts are aerospace hardware. The heating of the Ti drives the oils out of the part to the surface where they can be wiped off. It is probably not necessary to get a good cleaning for the exhaust, but just wiping it down while running and a little warm may provide a better cleaning.

·
Two Wheeled Warlord
1,143 Posts
zky said:
The Ti parts are aerospace hardware. The heating of the Ti drives the oils out of the part to the surface where they can be wiped off. It is probably not necessary to get a good cleaning for the exhaust, but just wiping it down while running and a little warm may provide a better cleaning.
Prior to welding, or before use?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts