Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this was touched on in the "Britrash" thread...

I liked the suggestion about the guy being given a "free ding-ding kick" at Cheney.

Not all that bothered about the political "hesitation" of the admin to publicize this fiasco further.

All politics aside and put simply, what the hell happened to the old rule of "don't shoot at what you can't see clearly". Read one report that said the guy "failed to alert Cheney of his prescence". Bull****! Gun safety is the responsibility of the one holding the gun. He should have been aware of what was going on around him. What a tool!! :mad:

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
In bird hunting all the hunters arrange themselves in predetermined positions. If you've ever hunted quail you know that when they flush you don't have time to check your fire zone. Hence it becomes very important for your fellow hunters to be were they are supposed to be. Usually in a staggered line of some sort.
The system only works because you are supposed be confident that your fellow hunters know to stay out of your designated firing zone. By the time you look to see if the coast is clear...the bird is long gone.

Similar setup when you have a group of hunter driving deer and a group standing. You have the drivers stop a predetermined point to prevent them coming into the line of fire and encountering a stray bullet.

Same as at a firing range...very specific rules about crossing the firing line. So yes it can often be the responsibility of others to know what they are doing to prevent injury to themselves.
JohnnyB

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must concede that I've never been quail hunting. Closest thing in my experience is dove hunting where there are group hunts and the golden rule is "don't level off when you fire". Actually got peppered one time by someone who didn't heed that rule.

Have also been part of several deer drives where everyone being aware of what he/she is shooting at is crucial. During one such hunt, witnessed a near miss when a fool fired at a running deer and missed another guy by inches.

Maybe a little touchy here about muzzle control, but I think the majority of responsibility falls on the shooter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Im still kinda wishing (when I heard a lawyer was shot) it was John Kerry or Hillary that was hunting with him.

Razor: Im glad to see you conceded once you got a better explanation of how that sorta hunt goes. I tend to agree that the shooter should be aware of his surroundings BUT sometimes **** happens beyond the shooters control.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
We use to shoot "Guerillas" back then and thank God we didn't have rules of engagement like the ones you guys have for hunting... :D

I once grabbed a guy at the shooting range by the neck trying to cross the white line to go place his target while the line was hot. Amazing how he got pissed off with me by doing that even though I tried to explain why I did it. Needless to say, I tried to moved further down the line but decided after a few minutes that it was better for me to just go home.

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
Razor....I do agree that in the end it has to be the responsibility of the guy holding the gun....but the level of responsibility for an accident is sometime mitigated by the circumstance.
In general it kind of sucks for all involved.

I had a similar experience on a deer drive. Very good friend of mine unloaded about five shots from his lever action at a running deer....drivers all went ducking for cover. As good a friend as he was, we all told him that we'd rather he not come on our hunts in the future. It wasn't the first time for him...he would just kind wig out when he saw a deer.
JohnnyB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts