Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of AMSOIL? I've been hearin some really good stuff about it, but I generally think it's all hype. But my dealership was so confident that I would like it that they gave me a free gallon to try. I wanted to get a quick judgement by the zen masters of 9ner-dom (you know who you are) before going forth. Thanks

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
There was a good amount of support for the Amsoil among the old Motorush gang. I use Honda GN4 10w-40 and change it about 2,000-2,500 miles. Whatever you use just be sure it doesn't say anything about "energy conserving" anywhere on the bottle and make especially sure to always use a new Honda filter every time you change the oil. Those little bastids are expensive but have been proven to have superior filtration to all the others. Here's a recent thread from the Hornet's Nest with a few more opinions:

http://p196.ezboard.com/fhornetsnest56467frm14.showMessage?topicID=2884.topic

·
BANNED!
5,539 Posts
AMSOIL can be a good oil.. very good matter of fact. Not sure what your using or what they gave you. Any more info on it?

Typically anything in a gallon jug would be something to stay away from... but I could be wrong!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's amsoil 10W-40 High Performance. It doesn't say anything about energy conservation. Have been using honda "red cap" 10-40 every 2500 or so. No probs, but if this is better, ill go for it. Yes, I always change the filter and always use honda. Thanks guys

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
I have used a few different kind of oils and have noticed that my bike runs the same with each. It doesn't run 50 degrees cooler or have 10hp more... sorry. So far I've done Honda dino oil, Honda Syn, Mobile 20w50, Mobile 10w40 cycle oil(like $1000 an oz.), Amsoil, and that fance RT4 stuff. I change it ever 2000-3000 miles unless I beat on it more than usual, then earlier.

I bet if you took 3 top oils, closed your eyes and picked one your bike will run 10's of thousands of miles without worry. Disagree with me, but that's what I have found over the last 20,000 miles.

·
Official thread derailer
11,015 Posts
I've used numerous oils as well. 2 years ago exclusively used Mobil 1 red cap in all of my vehicles then I switched to Shell Rotella and have noticed no difference in performance, mileage or wear. Just make sure when using a synthetic that you go with full synth and not a blend.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I wasn't looking for any miracle power gains. I just want to make sure it wasn't a mistake and I am looking for the best protection for my engine. I use this bike ALOT and I don't want to mess around. I don't usually buy into B.S. hype, but this was a free shot at it.

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
ragdoll said:
I bet if you took 3 top oils, closed your eyes and picked one your bike will run 10's of thousands of miles without worry. Disagree with me, but that's what I have found over the last 20,000 miles.
I think you're prolly right Rag. The most crucial part is changing it regularly and using a good filter.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have tried it, burns to easy.. just kidding.. that was funny tho!

ragdoll said:
Otherwise try using vegatable oil.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I started using Amsoil about middle of last year. It's a good oil; better than what I was using in the Yammy before. A free gallon? that's sweet!

·
Canadian Blue
393 Posts
Not wanting to slam what others think, I actually was disappointed in Amsoil 10w40 I tried two years ago. It seemed to thin out quickly and shifts became harsh - noticable after 1500 miles - but this was in the heat of the summer. Since then I have only used Mobile 15w50 or 20w50 in the summer months and this does not happen. Amsoil 20w50 may be ok also in the summer.

A free gallon should not go to waste. Use it with no hesitation.

Mark,
It's too cold in Detroit

·
Church of the Holy Smoke
1,085 Posts
Hi blackbetty,

Here is an interesting resource for your research. This site goes into detail about Motorcycle Motor Oil and has some interesting facts that might help you decide. Also, here is a link about Oil Filter Alternatives for Honda Motorcycles. This site lists alternative oil filters that work on most Honda motorcycles, 919, VFR, etc.

I am currently running the Bosch 3300 on my 9er... and it's my third. It is just about the same size as an OEM 15410-MCJ-003.. so it fits nice. For me, the move to automotive oil filters has nothing to do with price.. sure. the Bosch is less than half the cost.. but the main thing for me was I can drive 1 block to Autozone on Sunday at 19:30 and get one. Contrast with the bankers hours at your Honda dealership and having to drive across town. You almost have to call ahead to get an appointment to stand at that parts counter. They should put filters and consumables out front in vending machines.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
MotoCycho said:
They should put filters and consumables out front in vending machines.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
That would be awesome! I hate trying to plan a time when I can get to the blasted dealership just because the oil is coming due for a change. I can't remember :poop: as it is.

G

·
Say for example a person is dumb and misplaced their owners manual. How frequently do most change the oil and filter and how much do you use?

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
I use Honda GN4; got 25,230 miles on an 88, 20,201 miles on a 2001, 5,600 miles on a 2002, and about 50 hours on the dirtbike. None of these have been apart except for clutch and valve adjustment on the 88 and valve check on the 2001.
But, I just sold a 1972 CB550 Four with 119,000 miles on using GN4 and it just had normal maintenance, which did not include any top or big end work.
Oil and filter changes at 3,000 miles on all. Keeping the air filter clean/changed helps, too.
Any correct oil (viscosity, etc.) can probably do this well if changed on schedule. IMHO I would stay away from anything that causes clutch slip (some synthetics).

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Not about oil but changing it.

Make a tray out of aluim foil to put under the filter so it doesn't drain on the pipes.

G

·
tvetree said:
Not about oil but changing it.

Make a tray out of aluim foil to put under the filter so it doesn't drain on the pipes.
Good idea! +1 for good old Shell Rotella 15-40. Been running it in my SV1000 and the 919. Inexpensive and seems to work great!

·
Honda Addict
828 Posts
tvetree said:
That's a great idea tvtree!! :punk:

I had wondered before what to use to prevent having to clean off the header after oil change.

Thanks for the tip. It's always the most practical stuff that works the best.

Guess the same principle applies to the 919! :punk:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.