Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Centurion
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay So I bought a Carbon Fiber OEM replica Honda windscreen. The seller doesn't offer the brackets for it, so I had to source some on my own...

I had heard of a few guys here ordering the Buell M2 brackets, and simply drilling the screen where the new holes needed to be. So I went ahead and ordered the brackets...But I can't seem to get mine to work.

Is there a trick to this? Has anyone done this Honda screen/Buell bracket combo before, and has some pics to share with me? I'm stumped. I can't get the screen close enough to the brackets to be able to mark where I need to drill at...

Ugh... This is driving me crazy. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Alinosa has done it, so its possible but since he's had a kid I don't think he's been on the forums...

·
Centurion
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man.

Does anyone have any ideas for this?

I spent $40 on the darn brackets, cuz I was under the impression that it just bolts right up, but the angles are all wrong, so that's $40 down the drain. =(

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
nothing is ever "bolt-on" unless it comes from the same mfr as the bike you're puting it on. Post a pic of your brackets, screen, and frontend. Maybe somebody will have an idea for you.

I put a Monster headlight and windscreen on the front of an old Kawasaki with a zx6r frontend. The Duc brackets had to be chopped and another pair of little pieces had to be made from aluminum. The point is there's always a way.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
I adapted a Givi screen for a 599 to mine. Made brackets out of plexiglass. Very easy to work with and shape. Been on for a couple of years with no issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When buying accessories for your bike, remember these two truths :

"universal fit" indicates an accessory that doesn't fit any motorcycle at all.
"custom fit" indicates an accessory that doesn't fit YOUR motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Alinosa didn't have to do anything special to get his mounted that I remember, I'll email him and see if I can't get him to chime in here.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I think I mounted the brackets to the sides of the headlight first, then had someone hold it up and marked the holes, then drilled them and bolted the screen on. The brackets should go on so that the part that you attaches to the screen is more or less perpendicular to the bike. The brackets as they attach from the headlight mounts flare outward. Heres some pics if they help you sorry about the lack of light.

·
bike n00b
111 Posts
Wow, Mystical beat me to the punch. Beefsalad asked me to chime in so I went to the garage and snapped a few pics after reading through the thread and I get back and BOOM, someone else has uploaded *my* pics. Seriously mine are identical.

I was paranoid about drilling CF so i measured, then measured then measured and came up with the same points to drill each time. Let me go back and mention that I mounted the brackets first and saw that they would NOT bolt straight up to the windscreen. The mounting hardware and the windscreen surface are not even close to co-planar so I had to use a lot of double-sided tape to get it to "sit" in the right spot then I made some markson the tape. THEN I measured, measured, measured. I ended up moving my drill points a little bit to make them symmetrical. This turned out to be a mistake since my screen has a bit more space behind it on the left hand side when viewed from the saddle. If anyone really wants to see that I can post the pic. Right now I'm on the "5 1/2 months old baby in the house" sleep schedule and am quite lazy. After realizing the screen didn't sit square, I removed it and began a meticulous re-measure of the screen starting from the bottom 2 corners and working my way up the screen. Turns out that my screen is a hair off and the left side is a tad larger than the right (when viewed as though you're on the bike and looking down at your gauges. From the front i can't really see it so it doesn't bother me. The lesson here is measure and mock up THEN drill, without second guessing yourself.

So in steps:

-mount the brackets

-using double stick tape "mount" the screen adjusting it 'til it looks right. Then mark the drill spots through the brackets on to the tape.

-using plenty of tape on the shiny side of the screen carefully drill the screen

-mount your newly customized screen and enjoy the "cleaner" air blasting you at right above the neck.

In all seriousness the screen has made riding a lot less fatiguing because the only time I get buffeting is when a cage is in front of me and refuses to move over so I can maintain my slow overtake pace through traffic. Also, it's pretty much useless at speeds that will guarantee you a free night downtown.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here or pm me. I can take whatever pics you might want need. (Of the bike, people!)

Forgot to add:

M0604.D $10.95 Windshield bracket Right hand
M0605.D $10.95 Windshield bracket Left hand
M0602.0 $1.20/ea (Qty 4) Well Nut 8-32 -rubber well nuts
AN0806.3CBBL $1.02/ea (Qty 4) Screw -for nuts above
BN0806.6BL $0.83/ea (Qty 4) Nylon washer
MM0721.T $2.05 Rubber trim strip

these are the parts i used, minus the trim strip. (List supplied by sbeau1960 in THIS thread, post #72)

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Daaaaamn Alinosa, even linking back! He also picked up my brackets that I have yet to use :D

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
So.......did you get it mounted?

·
Centurion
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not yet. I haven't had the chance to work on it further. The Army keeps me quite the "busy bee"............... =/

But THANK YOU to everyone who posted pics and advice. I really appreciate it!!

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
There are several people that have mounted the screen with the buell brackets and or fabricated there own. They are not hard to make as you can buy a piece of stock aluminum and hardware from Lowes or HomeDepot for about 5 bucks and bend it to the desired angles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts