Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided on getting a PC, but couldn't find any used options for my '06 919, PCV and PC III included.

I did some digging and found the PC3 for the CBR1000RR around the 2005 era (Model 121-410) should do the trick, bar the different connectors.
managed to get one used for just over 100 bucks.

Automotive lighting Eyewear Cable Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

As pictured here, from left to right: TPS, Injectors 1-4, and grounding tab.

Wiring it up is quite simple and straightforward:

You can either splice it directly into the wiring harness as I did, or you could buy 8x 2-pin and 2x 3-pin waterproof automotive connectors and make it removable, but you might have a hard time finding installing it with the bulky connectors on the harness.

For the injectors: All injectors share a common positive connection, black/white wires on the motorcycle harness or solid red wires on the PC3 harness.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

For the TPS: The black/white wire on PC3 gets wired onto the green/orange wire of the bike harness, and the grey to the red/yellow (NOT yellow/red).
Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Electric blue

So;
2 connects to 5
3 connects to 4
8 connects to 11
9 connects to 12
1 connects to 10
6 connects to 7
Pliers Wood Tool Electrical wiring Art

Audio equipment Gadget Office supplies Pliers Wire

PC3/Stock harness spliced together
Injector 4's harness is on the bike, it has to be soldered in place.

Install the grounding tab onto the tip sensor bolt, and pop the PC under the seat, make sure to sync the throttle pos!
One small issue is that you can't upload 919 djm 'maps' to the PC, but you can send fuel tables just fine, so it works out.
Currently using mw919-2stk.djm map from MCromo's shared maps - does anyone have a map for K&N filter/cat/stock cans? 2006

Cheers

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
I recently decided on getting a PC, but couldn't find any used options for my '06 919, PCV and PC III included.

I did some digging and found the PC3 for the CBR1000RR around the 2005 era (Model 121-410) should do the trick, bar the different connectors.
managed to get one used for just over 100 bucks.

View attachment 158546

As pictured here, from left to right: TPS, Injectors 1-4, and grounding tab.

Wiring it up is quite simple and straightforward:

You can either splice it directly into the wiring harness as I did, or you could buy 8x 2-pin and 2x 3-pin waterproof automotive connectors and make it removable, but you might have a hard time finding installing it with the bulky connectors on the harness.

For the injectors: All injectors share a common positive connection, black/white wires on the motorcycle harness or solid red wires on the PC3 harness.
View attachment 158550

For the TPS: The black/white wire on PC3 gets wired onto the green/orange wire of the bike harness, and the grey to the red/yellow (NOT yellow/red).
View attachment 158548
So;
2 connects to 5
3 connects to 4
8 connects to 11
9 connects to 12
1 connects to 10
6 connects to 7
View attachment 158552
View attachment 158553
PC3/Stock harness spliced together
Injector 4's harness is on the bike, it has to be soldered in place.

Install the grounding tab onto the tip sensor bolt, and pop the PC under the seat, make sure to sync the throttle pos!
One small issue is that you can't upload 919 djm 'maps' to the PC, but you can send fuel tables just fine, so it works out.
Currently using mw919-2stk.djm map from MCromo's shared maps - does anyone have a map for K&N filter/cat/stock cans? 2006

Cheers
Nice work!
But I'm a bit perplexed on a point.
If it's a PCiiiUSB, it should accept importing a .djm map.
If it's a PC3, then the difficulty makes sense, as those need .map format maps.

By doing a fueling table, you're in essence manually creating a .map format map for export to the PC3, if it is a PC3 that is.
Such manual map creation is the only way to create .map format maps from a .djm format map for a PCiiiUSB.

Ultimately you got it all to work, and good on you for that!

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

It's a PC3USB. The program can open .djm maps fine, but upon clicking 'send map' it throws the error 'incompatible version'. Apparently this is because it's two different PC models (for different bikes.)
Clicking 'send table' sends it through fine. I'm not sure if there's any real difference between the two.
Gadget Font Electronic device Electric blue Display device

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

It's a PC3USB. The program can open .djm maps fine, but upon clicking 'send map' it throws the error 'incompatible version'. Apparently this is because it's two different PC models (for different bikes.)
Clicking 'send table' sends it through fine. I'm not sure if there's any real difference between the two.
View attachment 158554
You're ahead of me on this aspect, that's for sure.
I just tried my software, noting I was not connected to my bike when I did so.
I hit Send Table, and got an Error Message saying No Map Loaded.
Another one for my memory bank, that's for sure.
I will make a document (attributed to you) of what you did, including your software get-around, and put it in the Dropbox.

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're ahead of me on this aspect, that's for sure.
I just tried my software, noting I was not connected to my bike when I did so.
I hit Send Table, and got an Error Message saying No Map Loaded.
Another one for my memory bank, that's for sure.
I will make a document (attributed to you) of what you did, including your software get-around, and put it in the Dropbox.
I'm just guessing here, but I think it could be that the .djm file was saved/made on a 919 PC, so when you try to 'send map' to the CBR1000RR PC it throws up the incompatible version error.

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but I think it could be that the .djm file was saved/made on a 919 PC, so when you try to 'send map' to the CBR1000RR PC it throws up the incompatible version error.
It just hit me now.
The CBR1000RR PCiiiUSB has connections to an injector at each inlet.
Meanwhile the PCiiiUSB for the 919 doesn't have any such connections.
The 919 FI system is most kindly described as being "basic", single TB injection noted.
I assume the CBR1000RR system is much more sophisticated, surely including twin showering.
I would assume the PCiiiUSB connections for the CBR1000RR injectors are for the bottom injectors, not the upper sprayers.
Perhaps the above explains some, or all, of what you encountered re having to install a Table as compared to a Map.
By the way, did the Table display have inputs for each cylinder?
Would appreciate any added comments you can make.

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Spot on about the CBR1000RR,
It has 8 injectors, and yes the PC only connects to the bottom four.

The PC can save the map as a 'basic' or 'advanced' map. The basic map for the CBR1000RR is the same as the 919, with a universal table for all four injectors. The advanced map has four fuel tables.
I have uploaded some images of the options and error codes in the PC, and what they look like.
Fuel Trim values in 'basic' map mode with mw919-2stk.djm map, and attempting to send the map to the PC.
Font Audio equipment Gadget Screenshot Electronic device

Rectangle Screenshot Font Software Parallel

Here is an attempt to upgrade the basic map to and advanced one:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant

four fuel tables in advanced map for CBR1000RR with fuel table of MW919-2stk.djm sent. Not sure if this means each cylinder, or just four possible maps that can be stored?
Rectangle Font Screenshot Line Parallel

Let me know if you'd like me to upload these pics to a folder for you to download, or if you would like any others. Happy to help.

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Spot on about the CBR1000RR,
It has 8 injectors, and yes the PC only connects to the bottom four.

The PC can save the map as a 'basic' or 'advanced' map. The basic map for the CBR1000RR is the same as the 919, with a universal table for all four injectors. The advanced map has four fuel tables.
I have uploaded some images of the options and error codes in the PC, and what they look like.
Fuel Trim values in 'basic' map mode with mw919-2stk.djm map, and attempting to send the map to the PC.
View attachment 158556
Thanks for all the added commentary and depictions.

I'll do copies and pastes of almost the entire thread, put it on an unlocked Word doc, and put a copy of it into the Dropbox.
Once that is done, feel free to improve upon it with better pictures if you see it as necessary.

View attachment 158557

Here is an attempt to upgrade the basic map to and advanced one:
View attachment 158558

four fuel tables in advanced map for CBR1000RR with fuel table of MW919-2stk.djm sent. Not sure if this means each cylinder, or just four possible maps that can be stored?
View attachment 158559

Let me know if you'd like me to upload these pics to a folder for you to download, or if you would like any others. Happy to help.

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Hornet 900
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great. Happy to help.
I might install an o2 sensor and do some datalogging using an arduino so I can tune the map for maximum highway cruising efficiency. None of the maps say which AFR they're targetting.
Might make a post about it when I'm done.

·
McTavish
6,416 Posts
Looks great. Happy to help.
I might install an o2 sensor and do some datalogging using an arduino so I can tune the map for maximum highway cruising efficiency. None of the maps say which AFR they're targetting.
Might make a post about it when I'm done.
Make sure you scroll down far enough when looking at Maps, to see any notes by the Tuner.
I've come across a decent number that had A/F info in them.
In general, there a zones of RPM X % TP Opening that have different target A/Fs, and those values vary depending upon the intended use.
For example, Dan Kyle's maps (not the LDH variants) are tuned rich like a max power track use map.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts