Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
I’m new to the page and I’m after some helpful advice on my Honda hornet 900 f2 (2003).
I purchased this bike after it was sat in a garden for 6 years…. A mouse mades it’s home in the air box…
I have replaced the air box , with all the injectors and lines replaced also,;

however it still won’t crank into life, she will turn over happily but not fire,,
I can pull the throttle to try help it start but it’s just dumps fuel in the exhaust and a huge back fire is created…

I have done the “FI” code reading , and it’s coming up as following

1- TP SENSOR
2- no1 injector
3- No 2 injector
4 - no4 injector
5- Camp pulse sensor
6–. Map/ maf sensor. ( not sure)

I’ve checked all the wiring and it all seems to be fine, can seem to get rid of the codes; the injectors have been replaced but still nothing,,,

If anyone can give me some tips and thing to check that would be brilliant

Thankyou all

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
hi all
I’m new to the page and I’m after some helpful advice on my Honda hornet 900 f2 (2003).
I purchased this bike after it was sat in a garden for 6 years…. A mouse mades it’s home in the air box…
I have replaced the air box , with all the injectors and lines replaced also,;

however it still won’t crank into life, she will turn over happily but not fire,,
I can pull the throttle to try help it start but it’s just dumps fuel in the exhaust and a huge back fire is created…

I have done the “FI” code reading , and it’s coming up as following

1- TP SENSOR
2- no1 injector
3- No 2 injector
4 - no4 injector
5- Camp pulse sensor
6–. Map/ maf sensor. ( not sure)

I’ve checked all the wiring and it all seems to be fine, can seem to get rid of the codes; the injectors have been replaced but still nothing,,,

If anyone can give me some tips and thing to check that would be brilliant

Thankyou all
With a string of things like that all wrong at the same time, suggests something major.
It's simply not possible for all of those things to fail all together at the same time.
Have some of the wires been eaten by the mice?
Are all of the multiwire connectors properly engaged?
Is the ECU itself OK or being energized properly with power?
Is the frame ground wire properly attached?

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
With a string of things like that all wrong at the same time, suggests something major.
It's simply not possible for all of those things to fail all together at the same time.
And a fuel pressure regulator failure could also be involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay Thankyou for your reply
I have checked for power leading to the fi codes errors “map sensor” etc all seems
okay
I have loads of fuel pressure,
However I have noticed that when I turn the bike over, all 4 injectors fire fuel out and some good pressure… should all 4 be squirting or should it be in a sequence?
I’m going to go through the wires later and see if I can find anything

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
Okay Thankyou for your reply
I have checked for power leading to the fi codes errors “map sensor” etc all seems
okay
I have loads of fuel pressure,
However I have noticed that when I turn the bike over, all 4 injectors fire fuel out and some good pressure… should all 4 be squirting or should it be in a sequence?
I’m going to go through the wires later and see if I can find anything
The F I is the timed type, meaning a very precisely timed squire of just the right amount on a per cylinder basis. It's like the ignition system spark timing, in that respect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The F I is the timed type, meaning a very precisely timed squire of just the right amount on a per cylinder basis. It's like the ignition system spark timing, in that respect.
So would that be something like the cam pulse sensor, I’m of the understanding that they fail after a long period of standing still…
Have you ever had any problems with the bank angle sensor?
thankyou

·
McTavish
6,545 Posts
So would that be something like the cam pulse sensor, I’m of the understanding that they fail after a long period of standing still…
Have you ever had any problems with the bank angle sensor?
thankyou
I don't recollect any posts or threads about a failed cam pulse sensor in a 919, but I could be wrong. And that's for a 20 year fleet of bikes, many of which have been parked for extended periods.
I do not know if a duff cam pulse sensor could or would trigger the other sensors faults you listed. If it can't, then a duff cam pulse sensor should not be the primary cause of the trouble you're seeing. Rob Tharlson could likely speak to this with real authority. In case he is not watching this thread, suggest you PM him on the point.
I have never had a problem with a bank angle sensor, and my bike was on it's side once with the engine running - before it got killed by the bank angle sensor. ( I will NEVER reveal what happened that day! LoLs!!)
From a diagnostics point of view, my thinking is looking for things that could trigger a list of faults that has many engine fuel delivery and management sensors on it. Hence my previous query about the grounding, for example.

Overall, quite perplexing!
And no doubt extremely frustrating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts