Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the scoop. Haven't ran in years. But, in the last month the knees and ankles have been feeling better and I've been putting in between 3-7 miles a day (depending how much pain develops).

Have always used Asics running and wrestling shoes growing up, no particular reason. Presently, I'm running with their Gel-Kayano XII. Great shoe, but a bit soft for me. I'm neutral to a bit over pronator. Unfortunetly, we don't have any high-end running stores left around here. Only the usual Dick's, Finish Line, Sports Authority, etc. Little to no knowledge from these kids working there. There are a lot of articles for running, but would like to hear from others.

So, what experience do other have for running shoes. Any feedback on the Nike Free? It's suppose to strengthen the foot and ankles. It suppose to simulate running in grass or sand?

How about New Balance? Any recommendations?

·
Wookie
7,274 Posts
When I went out looking for a shoe, I tried on every pair there was before I stopped with the Nike Impax shoe. This is what I use
And this is the updated version of it.

I have no idea what the difference is, I'm sure just looks. The ones I have there are a steal at the current sale price of $60 though.

I looked at the Nike Shox, tried them on... too much dampening if you can believe that. Seems like most of the shoes out there have a solid heel which makes it more harsh when you strike. The Impax seemed to be a good combo of it all. Excellent cushion, a little extra bounce in your step but not enough to throw you off. Very light and very breathable. For the money, I really don't think you will find anything comparable. Not sure your budget, but I didn't even try on shoes over $120.

I run about 3-5 miles every other day.

G

·
I dont run on the pavement. Mostly off road. I found that the Nike fit me well and the new Balance are too wide. Many shoes will fit different sized feet. I hope this might help. You probably know this already.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
Questions:

How are your arches?
Neutral to slight is generally efficient and quick when the muscles and lungs are up to it, is that so and what kind of pace are you running?
Weight?
Speed in the future or just for cardiac and general fitness?

Yeah, the Free is supposed to be as close as you can get to running barefoot so that your legs and feet can get stronger by flexing more and doing the cushioning/motion control work themselves instead being helped with the task and ignoring it. The Free is going to be soft. Maybe not as soft as the Skylons (currently called Air Hayward) that I run in but softer than a cushioned shoe from Nike and probably softer than your Kayano's. Wouldn't recommend them unless you're also very efficient and running in the high 6's for your distance work.
Neutral to slight generally means you don't need to be running in cushioned, support or motion control shoes unless perhaps you're a little heavy and/or inefficient but still neutral. If you're not moving too quickly (9 minute range) then a little more cushioning (re: harder) might be more comfortable since your contact time is longer. Quick, efficient, neutral runners (myself included when I'm not smoking) are generally more comfortable in the lightweight lines that favor quicker turnover. They are usually the softest shoes since at speed you'd want to be able to compress the same distance for shock abzorbtion but in less time.

The New Balances tend to be too hard for me but if you're thinking the softness of your Kayano's is not good, then they may be worth investigating.

Not sure if I cleared anything up for you. At this moment (and since I haven't much exposure to brands other than Nike) I'd suggest that if the shoes have a few miles left in them and are not hurting you but are just "not quite right", then set aside some time the next time you're in the city and hit one of the Super Runners shops. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but the weather is getting nice so that might be an excuse to hop on the 14 and haul on into New York.

Edit: Wait, forgot you're in Mass. now and not CT. I believe there are Fleet Feet and/or Super Runners in and around Boston as well.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Barefoot on the sandy beaches of Brazil does it for me... :D

Talk about running and/or doing exercise, went to pick up a box with oil and my back was painfully sore for about 3 days... time to start doing something about it.

Oh, sorry... no :helpsmilie: here! :single flip:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RC90 said:
Barefoot on the sandy beaches of Brazil does it for me... :
Trying to get down there in the next few weeks. One of the reasons for getting into shape quickly. The other is, I just feel like crap. Been busy and haven't worked out much in the last 6 months. Hit 250# last month at about 18% body fat. Becoming "smooth & soft", pants are getting tight, and the definition is lacking! Need to be 215-220# approx. 8%, I feel good there. Plus, Sporty likes cut and lean guys.:001_cool:

CMulford, thanks. The regular Nike's have been a bit narrow and their wides a bit sloppy for me. Bought a pair of Shox, now there just street shoes. There's a new Asics out, along with a new New Balance. I'm heading into NYC tomorrow, so I'm going to try to hit a running store.

My present routine is picking up. I start with 8 uphill wind sprints, with quick as possible decent at about 15-20 degree angle, 60 yards. I follow this with the distance, today I got 5 miles at a solid 8 pace. Trying to get the lung capacity and ankle strength back. I'm shooting for high 6 to 7. It's a beautiful night, the ankles and knee feel good, going for another 5 mi in 30 min. Also, I ate a small tub of Hagen-Das Caramel Cone ice cream earlier!:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
tomvan72 said:
I dont run on the pavement. Mostly off road. I found that the Nike fit me well and the new Balance are too wide. Many shoes will fit different sized feet. I hope this might help. You probably know this already.

I prefer off road as well. Adidas are my shoe of choice.....but Nike are too.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For off road, try Hi-Tec. I found them to be good stuff and durable. Well, it's been a few years since I've used them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My brother used to swear by Brooks......until he tried Adidas. I think you just have to try different pairs. I use Vasque for hiking boots.....just becasue they seem to be the best fit for me...

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
Ah yes, being at or near 250 will definitely make a soft shoe for you out of a moderate one for me at 185 and dropping.

Given that serious running is one of my main interests (behind hot chicks and things with motors), you've peaked my interest. Joe Shmoe on his couch at 250#s doesn't just go out and run 8's with that hiatus in this short of time after being inspired by the Olympics on tv. He also doesn't have a target in the 6's as his heart would explode if he attempted that in anything shy of a year if not more. What's your athletic past???

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I got in on that little foot race they put on in Boston a couple of years ago. I've tried Nike, Brooks, New Balance, and something elce that I can't remember. I always go back to ASICS. The model # keeps changing, but I always ran in the ones with gel in the heel and forefoot. Dr Shoals inserts. Thorlo socks. RoadRunner Sports is where I order my stuff from. Vasaline between the toes if you're going out for more than 5 miles. Shaklee had a really good "Gatorade" type mix, forget what they called it. If your ankles, knees, and hips start hurting, that's a sure sign your shoes are shotski. Even if they don't look it. If your feet aren't happy, nobody is.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CMulford said:
... you've peaked my interest. Joe Shmoe on his couch at 250#s doesn't just go out and run 8's with that hiatus in this short of time after being inspired by the Olympics on tv. He also doesn't have a target in the 6's as his heart would explode if he attempted that in anything shy of a year if not more. What's your athletic past???
LOL, oh so true. I understand the curiousity. Far from a couch potato. Didn't really watch much of the Olympics.:clown: Just not as active the past few months. Even in my worst shape, RIGHT NOW, I'm in better shape than most. Haven't seen the south of 210#, since 19. I'm somewhat freaky or knowledgeable, because I know what works for me. It's getting a bit harder the older I get and learning how to work around injures. Damn, this part sucks!

Athletic past? Athletics always been a major part of my life. Started running and weight training "seriously" at the age of 13, just recently stopped due to busting up the ankles in a "get-off" (got hit) about a year ago. Only done a few road-races, 5 mi or 10k. Never super-fast, just consistent. Best 5-miler 30:02. Always 2-shorts (4-6mi) a day instead of 1-long (10+) and always start with sprints. The same for the gym. Always between 45-60 min, always explosive, always push to the point of puke. Never more than an hour.

As a kid, I was lucky and tried everything. The usual baseball, basketball, swim team, etc. Never palyed hockey, we were poor and asian.:chinese: At 13, focused on wrestling, football, and MA's (TKD, HKD, and Judo), making nationals and the US Teams. Played ball and wrestled through college. Even played indoor football the early days in Boston to pay the rent.:w00t: Post grad, focused on MMA (PKA and the early days of the now popular Ultimate Fighting) and got hooked on MTB. Right at about 30, just got focused and busy with career and family. Always active, but not like it use to be?:huh:

·
Registered
832 Posts
CMulford- what would you suggest for a 3 time a week 1-3 miles (to start). I am about 185-190 and have high arches and narrow feet. I run about a 7-8 min miles now with the hope of getting back to 6min or less. I live in wisconsin and I dont think we have any good shops besides just chain stores. Oh and I run in New balance now and dont seem to have to many problems, and I run on all pavement as I live in the city.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
Turn 1, Haven't forgotten about ya', just bouncing off the walls here at work right now.

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow when I've got more time but a little more info might help us get you in the right direction...

How's your stride? Are you smooth or do you strike hard?
Pronating at all or are you pretty neutral side to side?
What model New Balance are they?
How would you like a potential diff. pair to be helping you (lighter, softer, stiffer, smoother transition, support, etc.)?
Are the tops of your feet ever sore, warm, sensitive to pressure for a short time after a run (high arches tend to not be able to absorb shock very well)?

Like with XX, I can't really say what exact shoe would be best for you as I only have experience with a small section of the options, but we can probably get you close enough.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think I would be more on the strike hard side vs smooth...pretty neutral....I think they are 903's...my feet are usually pretty good after a run, more my shins that hurt than anything. Oh, and I have custom orthodic inserts for my arches.

·
C'est la vie
1,513 Posts
Ok, so the othodics are covering the support issue with the arches. You might be interested in the shoes I'm using. I'm about the same weight and have high arches and thin feet as well. They're Nike Air Zoom Hayward's (renamed, but are just new colors of the Skylon Triax's). When I ran in a pair of New Balances with the ABZORB stuff I was getting a lot of ankle, shin and knee pain from the harsher impact (they're now slippers). When I went back to the Skylons with the Zoom Air sole, it all went away. They're definitely a nice soft and cushy ride which may help with the shins if the pain is just impact soreness and not shin splints.
With orthodics spreading out the force, any shoe will be a little stiffer than designed so you might want to try one that's soft.

I'm a big fan of Eastbay. They send a return sticker with the shoes in case you don't like them or change your mind.

I just have to remind everyone that I'm a draftsman and have no experience with fitting or selling shoes...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.