Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Unsure of the best place to post this- just started doing research but wanted to start a thread anyways since I'll be posting up photos from the actual trip.

Anyways, I am super new here to the forum and just recently acquired a 2002 919 back in December 2020. Anyways- I am located in St. Petersburg, FL, and I am planning a trip. The plan is to put the bike on the autotrain from Sanford, FL to just outside Washington, DC. Hop off the train, ride Skyline Dr. down to the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway and take about 4-5 days riding back to St. Petersburg, FL. I have done the BRP before by car going the same way- North to South. I am posting up here because I've never done it on a motorcycle and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I plan on getting a tail bag for the trip for a little extra stowage. Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

David

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
You gonna fly solo? Def have a good toolkit (I carry the factory kit under the seat and another bag of real tools) and stash a spare key (not under the seat, lol) Several pair of your fav earplugs.
Make sure you love your helmet, too. Several hours on the road can feel a lot diff than short trips around town. Be prepared for.....stuff

roadtrip 2019 084.JPG

Reactions: DDabs

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flying solo yeah. Hopefully will meet some people along the way and I'm open to adventure! I am hoping for great weather obviously but it will be Memorial Day weekend so I assume things are going to be crowded. I have a rough itinerary now and I am already making some reservations so I know I've got a place to stay for the night.

That bike is so beautiful! The 919 will have a tail bag and I'll have a backpack, but that's it. I'm traveling light.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
Too bad Ken Phenix isn't still around here. He knows something about covering some ground. I think he had gear for fire and brimstone...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just pulled the trigger on a center stand. It's worth it for down here in Florida alone. Figured it'd be worth it to get before this trip though.

·
Wanna free cat?
700 Posts
You won't be sorry for that! Every time you change tires or do chain maintenance, you gonna love it. Indispensable. Rock-solid platform for any bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There are some great moto-friendly campsites along the BRP that many folks advise on Advrider. Willville and Blue Ridge Motorcycle campgrounds are two I have jotted down.

·
Tirone?
1,317 Posts
If you have time, do a long day ride somewhere and see what you like and don't like about the bike. Specifically, ergonomics. For example, some people can't ride on the stock seat for more than a couple of hours. Or the handlebars aren't a good bend for your wrists. Etc. Better to find out now while you can do something about it vs in the middle of your trip.

Hopefully you won't need it, but get some quality rain gear, waterproof boots, and gloves and really test it out before starting your trip.

Lots of awesome eats in asheville nc and it's one of my favorite towns along the BRP.

You will never be far away from gas, auto supply stores, food, or an Uber/lyft ride, so enjoy the scenery and trip worry free.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've been riding the bike on a bunch of short trips all around the state... Tweaked a few things on the bike since I've had it and I'm really happy with it. Now I've just been acquiring more and better gear to ride in... which excites me a lot for this trip to use it all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts