Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Best LED turn signals?

I got a Honda 919 with the ebay special led turn signals. as seen below. I am also running a Custom LED blinker relay(I have the stock one in a box somewhere).

What's the brightest aftermarket LED turn signal you know of?

These ebay ones look cool, and are bright up close, but during the day they SUCK! you can barely see them.

Ive herd good things about the rizoma's. Anyone who has those, do you think they are brighter than the stock turn signals?

I'm looking for function over looks. And I don't mind spending good money for a good product. although good looks would be nice. I do like the looks of the rizomas.

Here's my current ebay japanese special

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

pic from online

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
yeah the rizomas are better by far. i have rizoma's on the rear and love em. i think they're brighter than the stock turn signals so go for em! you cant go wrong.

for the front, the best leds are the watsens, bar none, but VERY spendy as well.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive seen the watsens. they look so low profile. which is cool, but is it noticeable?

how much brighter are the watsens over the rizoma's?

·
What, me worry?
131 Posts
After looking at a LOT of options,I went with these in front:

V-LEDS TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING 5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 92 M-SMT TURN SIGNAL BULBS 1157 2057

1157 base, 92 SMT LED's. These bulbs are a bright neutral white (not blue-white, although they have those, too, if you want) as running lights, but blink amber as turns. As bright as conventional bulbs and brighter than any "dedicated" LED turn that I've seen. The dual color is trick: allows you to run a wide triangle of white lights up front (very conspicuous), but still have yellow turns--ergo, a lot less hassle when it comes inspection time.
Something else to consider:

FMVSS 108, table IV: DOT reg's for motorcycle turn signals:

(Front) Minimum centerline distance apart of 16", minimum edge to edge distance of 4" from the headlight, and at least 15" off the ground.
(Rear) Minimum centerline distance apart of 9", minimum edge to edge distance of 4 inches from taillight, and at least 15" off the ground.

Flush mounts and other tucked-in signals likely won't make this spec, and again could cause hassles come inspection. There's a reason for the reg: close-in signals are just a lot harder for other drivers to see, especially near the (always on) headlight.

The VLED's aren't cheap ($70/pair), but they're cheaper than most quality dedicated LED turns, and a LOT easier to install......:motorcycle:
...Also went with their amber 1156's for the rear...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check out the Kellerman led signals on Streetfightersinc.com. I've seen them on the owners Zrx and they are very bright and expensive. But you get what you pay for in most cases. I will be purchasing a set for the front in the near future.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the V-LED's are pretty cool. They look very bright. I'd have to find some sort of housing to go with since I cannibalized the org. turn signals for the quick connects.

Do you run them with a clear lens? they almost look like they would give you some extra light at night.

·
What, me worry?
131 Posts
Do you run them with a clear lens? they almost look like they would give you some extra light at night.
I have a set of Clearview lenses, thus allowing both colors to shine unhampered. They are bright, but the reflector doesn't focus the light the way a headlight or other driving light does; so, no, they don't work as a backup for the headlight.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
ive seen the watsens. they look so low profile. which is cool, but is it noticeable?

how much brighter are the watsens over the rizoma's?
the watsens are atleast 2x brighter than the rizomas and the rizomas are plenty bright. they're 4 watts, which is huge for leds. they're very noticible even in direct sunlight and get's people attention quickly. dont let their low profile fool you. plus the watens you can order as plug and play which is awesome.

the rizomas, you can wire up to be plug and play by cutting off the connectors off of your current leds and reusing them. the rizoma's work really well and in my opinion work better than the the drop in led bulb replacements.... much better.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
check out my weekend project aka progress thread and you'll see pictures of the rizomas as well as the watsens mounted. if you want more pix let me know i and i'll post some more up.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i like your set up. I was thinking of doing watsen front. and razoma rear myself. If not full razaoma. where did you buy your watsens and razomas?

I can't decide if i want the Zero 11 (as seen below)

Or the avio 21

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The Zero 11's (which I have ) are pretty small... but they are bright.
If the Avio's are larger, I might suggest going with them.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
for watsen: Honda Micro Alloy LED Signals

rizoma's: Turn Signals & Adapters, PJ's Parts

i have the zero 11's my roommate has the avio's and i think the zero's are brighter all around, plus better visibility on the sides than the avio's so i would suggest the zero 11's for the rear. the avios would be better for front or even the graffio, although i've never seen it first hand if you dont do the watsen.

if you go the watsen route, be sure to send a picture of your front connectors so he can make em plug and play.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have the Watsen's front turn signals and love them. Got them from a member here. I'll try to get a pic or vid of them in the next few day so you have an idea how bright they are.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Rizoma. Yummy. But darn expensive. Still by all accounts it is quality.

Where's that lotto ticket .....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have a picture of your bike with these installed?
I really like the look/idea :)

After looking at a LOT of options,I went with these in front:

V-LEDS TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING 5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 92 M-SMT TURN SIGNAL BULBS 1157 2057

1157 base, 92 SMT LED's. These bulbs are a bright neutral white (not blue-white, although they have those, too, if you want) as running lights, but blink amber as turns. As bright as conventional bulbs and brighter than any "dedicated" LED turn that I've seen. The dual color is trick: allows you to run a wide triangle of white lights up front (very conspicuous), but still have yellow turns--ergo, a lot less hassle when it comes inspection time.
Something else to consider:

FMVSS 108, table IV: DOT reg's for motorcycle turn signals:

(Front) Minimum centerline distance apart of 16", minimum edge to edge distance of 4" from the headlight, and at least 15" off the ground.
(Rear) Minimum centerline distance apart of 9", minimum edge to edge distance of 4 inches from taillight, and at least 15" off the ground.

Flush mounts and other tucked-in signals likely won't make this spec, and again could cause hassles come inspection. There's a reason for the reg: close-in signals are just a lot harder for other drivers to see, especially near the (always on) headlight.

The VLED's aren't cheap ($70/pair), but they're cheaper than most quality dedicated LED turns, and a LOT easier to install......:motorcycle:
...Also went with their amber 1156's for the rear...

·
What, me worry?
131 Posts
Do you have a picture of your bike with these installed?
I really like the look/idea :)
I'm doing contract work out of town now, so won't be able to get a pic of the bike before next Saturday. But here's a clip that shows what they look like:

YouTube - V-LEDS.COM 92 LED 6K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK TURN SIGNAL BULBS

(Note: the truck in the demo has a second (amber only) bulb on the side that produces the alternating front-to-side amber flash seen. The VLED bulb is the forward firing/white when not flashing bulb only.)
Although not on a bike, you can compare the bulb's brightness to the auxiliary fog lights on the truck. The bulbs are long, but they fit in the stock turn housing of the 9'er.

·
50'S RIDER
28 Posts
I used the RIZOMA ZERO 11's......I used the Custom LED'S flasher relay and on the rear I added the RIZOMA optional plug harness, It plugs into the factory plugs for rear indicators ( I mounted mine like Curious MIKE...but moved plate up under taillight and shortened fender up close to tag...looks good.

On front I found that the RIZOMA was basically plug and play to the stock ground and blinker wires with the bullet style connectors that come on the Rizoma's

Also used the ovalized hole covers from Fly'ncycle as recommended by another member....

I don't use running light on front as I don't think I need w/ headlight on all the time. I'm very happy w/ how they look and are very bright........

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It think im gonna go with full razoma zero 11's. I can see inspection time sucking with the watsens. also cops around me would pic up on that. MA. cops SUCK!

the zero 11's do look brighter all around. so I'll go with that. Although i did like the look of the avio's SLIGHTLY better. but more light is def. a plus.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts