Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tirone shoelaces
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To prevent a thread-jack, I'm starting a new thread

What is the consensus on the best chain tool(s) around?
- Motion Pro Part # 08-0467? "Chain Breaker, Press and Riveting Tool"
- Motion Pro Part # 08-0058? "CHAIN BREAKER & RIVETING TOOL"
- Motion Pro Part # 08-0135? "JUMBO CHAIN TOOL"
- HP TOOLS HEAVY DUTY CHAIN BREAKER-PRESS?
- D.I.D.? (only works with D.I.D. ZJ links)
- BIKEMASTER HEAVY-DUTY CHAIN BREAKER & RIVET TOOL

These are the tools I found after ~30 minutes of looking.

Thoughts?
Can anyone add their favorite tool?

·
When in doubt.....GAS IT!
2,528 Posts
The motion Pro "Jumbo" tool is a very good tool that works on many different brands of chains. I've been using mine for the last five years and it's still on the original pin...I've broken and installed about forty chains for myself and friends during this time and it's worked flawlessly.

·
`
3,862 Posts
Linky no worky.
NZ government doesn't want you to know this information.

to sum it up for you Ebay tool works just as good as DID for fraction of the price.
I can confirm it first hand.

There aren't any other chains, DID is the one and only way to do it for me.

Also you will never ever use XJ (cover plate) connecting chain links, ever.
XJ connectors are super heavy duty for chain sizes 630 and up

Obviously you are not going to use it with RJ as they are slip fit types and don't need a tool.

·
So, you're a human...
470 Posts
Apologies, the link to the ebay listing does not work witin that link. If that make sense. has anyone bought the e-bay DID clone?
This one does for me. It's more expensive than the original clone, and you can see they've made some changes in the design too. Probably for legal reasons. Still looks like a nice unit... One question, will the DID clone only work on DID chains, and is there a way to make the DID unit work on other brand chains?

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
Thanks for that feedback. I almost bought that kit last weekend with my RK chain and sprockets. It came with no instructions and no-one in the shop could figure out how it worked, so I left it.
If you get it let me know. I can tell you some tricks with it since the instructions are weak. I paid a lot less than that but I bought it several years ago and have done quite a few chains with it.

I use a dremel tool to shave the rivets off first. From there the tools in the kit do all the work.

·
Tirone shoelaces
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep - That's the place I bought from. It is a direct knock-off of the D.I.D tool.

I returned it because the U-shaped portion was a rather loose fit and would spring in under tension.

While setting rivets one side would spring in far enough to become disengaged.

It is my GUESS that these clones are produced on same Chinese facility as the name-brand D.I.D. tool, and are sold as cheap clones because they do not pass QA inspections.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts