Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
I'd never heard of buckwheat honey before or even buckwheat really? I googled it. Seems pretty handy stuff. Cover crop, edible seed, great honey. Cool. Also an exception to my generalization, dark honey from trees and light honey from ground plants. It's dark? and has a strong flavour? There is a native box thorn tree here that produces a light green honey that tastes like almonds.
My shipment arrived in our mailbox today.
It was immediately opened and tasted by my wife and I.
It is seriously good stuff, and has a very nice distinct flavour.
We were surprised at the clarity, given that it is not processed at all.
We love it.

The package took 3 weeks to the day from when it was post marked at Islandboy's local post office to our box.
That is pretty good for a mail service that went half way around the world.
There was no issue with entry into Canada, and we didn't have to go to the local substation re any paperwork or taxes or duties.

·
just send it.
1,600 Posts
Have you set up a distributor state side yet? My family isn't be honey eaters, but I would like to sample it.

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I'll happily help distribute stateside!

Still waiting to get a fine taste!
That is a very nice offer Pvster. There is a little something extra in your parcel. We will chat once you get it.
I'm still robbing hives. I almost wish it was over. Pushing close to 7000kg for the season.
I would like some time off from robbing since I have no time for anything else. No riding, no fishing and today the muttonbird season starts. All my mates have headed out to the outer islands to catch birds, eating them and drinking beer. Not this little black duck. I'm robbing.....again.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
careful what you wish for. Come time next year, you could be wishing you were still robbing hives. But I suspect next year will be another good year!

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'm using a new method to remove bees from honey boxes.
The honey boxes are the top boxes of a hive.
The bottom boxes are for the brood.
I used to shake the bees off each fame and place into a spare box.
This took a while and the whole time the hive is open with bees pushing up.
Now after using smoke to push most of the bees into the bottom boxes of a hive, I lift the top box or boxes off. Place it on its end.
Then using a leaf blower I blow all the remaining bees out.
Easy and quick. The hive is only opened briefly and the blown bees return to the hive.
https://youtu.be/C5hWSrIYbkg

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Got the honey, it is sublime! I cannot express how good this stuff is. Even the meadows honey is really good!

Lmk if you want a distribution point in the U.S., I'm game! I'm raving about this stuff.

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
So the season has finished. About 7 ton for the season. Maybe 90kg on average for each hive. Approx 3.6 ton of that was active manuka, +100 MGO. For this I've been offered $30 a kilo. The other 3.4 ton I'll get between $15 and $20 a kilo. So I have ended up making good money. I've started building two sheds. A workshop and a honey extraction plant. Here is a pic of one of the concrete slab setups prior to pouring. Two slabs, two sheds. Each 9m×6m, 4m apart with a roofed over bay between. It's time to expand. I'll now spend the winter building.

Attachments

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Nice! Check your pm pls. I might have a few people interested.

I finished my 28 day detox today. Now I'm going to gorge on your honey!

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
That was one of the easy ones to catch. The bees that don't fall into the hive are quickly drawn in by the main mass. I just placed a lid on and walked away. Give it a day to settle then I can move/work the hive. That one will build up quick.
Sometimes I cannot place a hive under the swarm. Then I just drop the bulk of the bees into a cardboard box and then tip them out into a nearby empty hive.
Catching swarms is easy and kinda fun.

Attachments

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
The Manuka honey from Islandboy is such a treasure that we make it last.
This morning I enjoyed two slabs of fresh homemade bread slathered with butter and adorned with the honey.
It is superlative stuff!
I wonder what the Brix number of it is, it is so viscous, and was not crystallized at all.
A beautiful orange-ish shade, great flavour, sort of fruity in a way.
I must move to buy some more!

·
919 Rider
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thanks for the kind words, your a gentleman.
If ya wait until after Christmas I'll have a sweet surprise I can send your way.

·
McTavish
6,340 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, your a gentleman.
If ya wait until after Christmas I'll have a sweet surprise I can send your way.
I can wait!

Also.
Your stuff has to have a much higher Brix # than what I am used to.
I have eyeballed some 500 gram containers of other decent stuff I have, and those containers hold significantly more volume than yours does. The only possible explanation is the Brix #. Gosh, yours has more goodness per unit volume!

61 - 80 of 83 Posts