Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Get over yourself.... No one cares what you have to say. He was talking to me not you in the first place. But you had to start dick ridin as per usual. Putting your useless comments at the end of every thread just to get the last word. Again no one cares. He already figured it out. Get on with your life. Its nice outside. Go find some more guys to pole jock

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
If you look at post #15 you'll see that I identified the fact that we were talking about two different approaches when it probably sounded like we were talking about the same thing to the OP until pictures were provided.

LOL... damn you make it too damn easy. Why do you have your panties in a wad eh? Did I piss in your corn flakes this morning?

Cry more.... :rolleyes:

·
Bacon-powered
574 Posts
I would go with Pvster's option here. It gives you the best of most worlds. You get to keep your vibration dampeners intact (good in case you want to go back to stock) and you get to keep your bar end weights on. You won't have to move your grips and pods. Bonus. The only downside I can see to it, is that you'll take some of the finish off the bar end weights which could lead to rust. Painting is easy though. You won't be able to use the end plug expander on the mirrors. Make sure you figure out what diameter the turned down section needs to be for the mirror clamp before you give the end weights to a machinist.

·
What?
428 Posts
Hey guys!

I just bought these for my 919
Amazon.com: 2000-2007 Honda CB 900F 919 Bar End Mirrors: Automotive
and now how do install them....do i just take the bar ends off and move all my controls up cause the hang off that half inch with the stock bar ends? and do I pull the guts of the stock bars out or do I just use the same mounts as the stock bar ends?

thanks for the help
I have the exact same ones and while all the suggestions are valid, the best solution I found was a new set of bars (the Moose Racing or Fly Racing Carbon Steel have enough weight you don't need the internals) with the controls set in 1/2 an inch and the mirrors just clamped on to the end. They are super stable, vibration free and I've never felt like they were going to come out of the bar (I never really trust the compression inserts). Plus, you're going to get sick of the stock bars in like a week anyway. :)

Here's what they look like mounted (with the new bar):
919_rear_left_040912.jpg

Here are a couple bar links:

Fly Racing 1010
Moose Racing

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Those bars look sweet 2002-919. Are they "noisy" at all?

very valid point regarding the paint ekovach, I never thought to look at mine closely but I didn't notice any rust issues when I took them off to sell to another member on here (wish I could remember who it was).

·
What?
428 Posts
Pvster said:
No vibes. Rock solid without any inserts. And since they are steel I didn't hesitate to drill the keeper hole for the throttle housing. (Though, from what I've read, the alum bars are fine for that too.). Plus they were like $18.

·
What?
428 Posts
18 bucks is a great price! Do you know if its a steel alloy?
http://www.flyracing.com/product/moto/hard-parts/handlebars/carbon-steel-handlebars/453/black

Yep, the are a carbon steel alloy.

$19 at Amazon - Amazon.com: Fly Racing 1010 Carbon Steel 7/8" Standard Handlebars - ATV/Black: Automotive

They have push in endcaps. So when you clamp the bar ends onto the actual bar, you can just cap the end and it looks pretty clean.

One note, if I was doing it all over again, I'd probably cut 1/2" to an 1" off the ends of the bars and narrow them up a little, but my previous bikes were an 05' CBR1000RR, '07 R1, '05 R1, and '02 R1. So, I like the narrower feel.

As it is though, the lines all fit really nice with no adjustments needed. Just roll the bar forward or backward in the perch to get what feels right to you.

Oh, and the most important thing - Put a TOWEL or, better yet, a piece of CARDBOARD (corrugated will eat a small, dent causing, impact) over the tank when you are swapping the handlebars.. You WILL drop something on it.. the bars, a lever, a bolt, a tool.

Don't be that sad guy with a chip in the paint or a little dent because you thought it couldn't happen to you.

·
Batman
1,053 Posts
Pvster said:

very valid point regarding the paint ekovach, I never thought to look at mine closely but I didn't notice any rust issues when I took them off to sell to another member on here (wish I could remember who it was).
That would be me! I love the setup! But I have noticed my bar ends sometimes tilting on the throttle side because it won't tighten up. Was going to message how you got yours to stay solid...its probably operator error :(

I'm looking at if I setup them wrong (stock bars) or if this is something normal...and how I can get them to be solid and not turn from the inside of the bar end weight.

Any suggestions? Otherwise, the paint is holding up just fine and no rust reported from me...but I don't really ride/park outside in rain so that may be moot....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My bike was dropped in a garage so my bar ends were kinda rough so I ended up pushing the internals inside with o rings and the clips since they tweaked when I went to take them out slight vibration but Its no worse then it was before il eventually get new handlebars when I am rid of the disease thefundsarelow

image-1035229296.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Honda Hornet 919
4 Posts
And you're dismissive rather than seeing other possibilities. Shoe fits on the other foot ya know :laugh:

To flip it back on you: Who in the world wants to cut their barend weights when they could just pull them out and not use them? I certainly didn't have any issues.

As to the lathe, if one doesn't have one, its not hard to find a local machine shop that most surely does. Nor is it hard to pay $5.00 or a case of beer (or a blow job in your case) to get the job done.

In fact, I have an extra set of barends that I would be happy to find a machine shop to put a lathe to it for someone (at cost of course) if they couldn't find one themselves.

The way you described is one useful way, there are also 2 other useful ways. Its all up to the OP to decide which way they want to go since each method has their pros/cons.

Now chill out. There's plenty of ways to go about the same goal :yes:
Under hopes both of you have calmed a little after eight or nine years... 😂 care to help me remove my bar end weights? My 919 was in a slide on one side and I suppose both bar ends came out. However it happened, I have no bar ends and would like to install some. The left side has a peculiarly shaped “shelfed cylinder” if you will right at the end of the handlebar almost sticking out. It doesn’t want to come out though, like a snake holding into its hole it will come a little but stops with a soft but quite firm resistance. The other side has a threaded cylinder in the same place, only not shelfed. Neither will come out

21 - 33 of 33 Posts