1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I just bought these for my 919
Amazon.com: 2000-2007 Honda CB 900F 919 Bar End Mirrors: Automotive
and now how do install them....do i just take the bar ends off and move all my controls up cause the hang off that half inch with the stock bar ends? and do I pull the guts of the stock bars out or do I just use the same mounts as the stock bar ends?

thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Welcome!

Just pull the bar ends out and slap these on. Shouldn't have to adjust any control pods.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they have the expanders to grip in the bars.....and my grips hang off to far they would hit the mirrors and the stock internals are at the end of the bar should i just rip that stuff our or try and use it?

·
Super Moderator
11,622 Posts
Ah, I gotcha.

First off, you would take all the internals out of the stock bar ends - the anti-vibe inserts, all that would come out. Then these mirrors would go in just by themselves.

Apart from cutting down your grips, which you probably don't want to do, the only other option is to move your control pods up the bars a bit to make room.

Or get a new set of bars and install it all from scratch.

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Or a better option:

Take your bar end weights to someone who can use a lathe on them. Takes about 5 minutes and it allows you to mount the bar end mirrors onto the weights themselves without having to modify anything else.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I took my weights out and cut them down a lil for the mirror inserts. Then put an O ring on the end I cut to reduce vibration and put the weights back in. Then install the mirrors since you now have room inside the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
^^^ man, why didn't I think of this!

I'm gonna cut mine down and put em back in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
redline can you show a picture? if you have one?
Im concerned if i take the bar weights out that its going to vibrate like a bitch.
If i take the guts our of the handlebar can i put it back in? or do i have to get new stuff?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't have a picture but you take the weights out cut them enough for the mirrors to fit in the bars also. Put an o ring on the end of the weights you cut on so it doesn't vibrate. The other end has one already. Put them back in. Put your mirrors on. Bam!

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OHH i understand... i was thinking you meant put the mirrors on the inside of the weights but your saying put the mirrors on the outside and add an o ring so the mirrors dont vibrate?

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
No, you cut out a section in the middle of the bar end weight using a lathe to the diameter needed to fit the barend mirrors. The barend mirror comes apart where you see the upper and lower piece bolted together. No oring is needed as I had zero problems with vibs and I highly doubt the member I sold them to has any problems with vibes as well.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Lol a lathe. Dude man up pull the weights out. The weights are the guts. Cut some off with a grinder put an oring like this put the weights back in the bars put the mirrors in. You are just cutting off enough for the mirrors to fit in the bars. Get it? The mirrors do not attach to the weights. The o ring is so it doesn't vibrate

ForumRunner_20120711_004419.png

ForumRunner_20120711_004717.png

ForumRunner_20120711_004529.png

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Lol a lathe. Dude man up pull the weights out. The weights are the guts. :blah-blah:
If you're gonna do that much work, might as well just yank out the bars and leave em out. Still no issue with the vibes with the bar end mirrors mounted directly to the bars :rolleyes:

Clearly redline and I are talking about two very different approaches. If you want to have the mirrors up against the bars, you can do what he described, or just yank out the weights altogether. If you want to keep the barends intact, you can do what I showed. You got some nice options whatever route you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Pvster said:
If you're gonna do that much work, might as well just yank out the bars and leave em out. Still no issue with the vibes with the bar end mirrors mounted directly to the bars :rolleyes:

Clearly redline and I are talking about two very different approaches. If you want to have the mirrors up against the bars, you can do what he described, or just yank out the weights altogether. If you want to keep the barends intact, you can do what I showed. You got some nice options whatever route you decide to do.
You're funny ^ What I described is hard to do? The purpose of cutting the weights is so you can still have them in there obviously. Who in the world has access to a lathe anyway when you can do what I said at home for free

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
You're funny ^ What I described is hard to do? The purpose of cutting the weights is so you can still have them in there obviously. Who in the world has access to a lathe anyway when you can do what I said at home for free
And you're dismissive rather than seeing other possibilities. Shoe fits on the other foot ya know :laugh:

To flip it back on you: Who in the world wants to cut their barend weights when they could just pull them out and not use them? I certainly didn't have any issues.

As to the lathe, if one doesn't have one, its not hard to find a local machine shop that most surely does. Nor is it hard to pay $5.00 or a case of beer (or a blow job in your case) to get the job done.

In fact, I have an extra set of barends that I would be happy to find a machine shop to put a lathe to it for someone (at cost of course) if they couldn't find one themselves.

The way you described is one useful way, there are also 2 other useful ways. Its all up to the OP to decide which way they want to go since each method has their pros/cons.

Now chill out. There's plenty of ways to go about the same goal :yes:

·
The Cripple
8,772 Posts
Someone please close this thread before this guy asks me out on a date!
What's the matter? Can't hold your own? Getting a little too sensitive? :laugh: :lurker-eating-popco

OP, you got plenty of options here :cool: If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and some of us will help out as much as we can. If you're concerned about your barends and/or weights, I've got an extra pair of both laying around somewhere I can sell ya for cheap so you have spares/back ups if needed. I'm sure a few other people on here have extras as well that they might be willing to get rid of.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts