Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Bridge looks great, if you wanted to add strength easily to it at this point in time you could bolt on some filch plates (fish plate) or some 3\4 pressure treated plywood, some of the strongest field fab beams incorporate plywood,2x12s bolts and construction adhesive as the ingredients. Right now you could sandwich the beams with the plywood use lots of exterior grade construction adhesive and carriage bolts. Typically its better to sandwich the ply in between the 2xs but I think it would be okay to do it on the outside. Or if you want you could bolt on filch plates that over lap the lowest point of deflection on your bridge. If you do consider the ply option not that you need to , just do it on the inside of the outer beams and both sides of the inner beam. Is it to late to consider stripping the tops of your beams with Ice and Water Shield? If its not to late this is a good way to go so that when you nail the decking down it will seal around the nails stopping water and ice from penetrating the top of your beam via the nails causing premature weakening and weater damge to your beams . Having said all that your bridge looks real good and I am jealous that I have nothing to build a bridge over.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Bridge update

OK ordered some 2x12 for the blocking. Today I finished the on/off ramps so as
I was gathering my tools I pounded a piece of scrap into the ground , placed a laser in the middle of the bridge and made a mark on the stick. Drove the Yamaha Kodiak into the middle of the bridge.According to Yamaha it weighs in at
560lbs or so. With that parked on the bridge I get at most an 1/8th of an inch
deflection.
Took a shower and put 100 miles on the 919. Looked like it was going to rain when I left the house, then it just got better and better.
The old bones are starting state their age , time to take a few motrin and call it a day.
I'll post some pics later.

Thanks All
Rich

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
Wow...that certainly sounds like it will do the job then. 1/8" is negliable.
JohnnyB

PS. Rich....next time you are bored....try this. Do the same thing with the laser, except level it on the bottom of the 2x12's where they sit on the support piles....then swing it over to the middle of the empty bridge to see how much deflection there between the ends of the 2x12's and the middle. ( I'm assuming a self leveling laser that you can setup and then just swing it around to point at a different place). This will tell you how much deflection there is with no load.....what I'm getting at is....sometimes you see very little deflection underload because all the "easy" deflection is already taken up by the weight of the materials.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
John
I'll try that right now I'm R&R mode. When I layed those out on the saw horses I put in about a 3/8 inch crown in the center so stringing it now it is just about straight. I've made a gusset template for the top of the King post and the 2 diagonals and my brother is going to carve it out, possibly in stainless.
Any way here's a couple shots of how the ramps turned out.
Oh by the way I can't stress enough what a great saw the Porter Cable Saw Boss Is. I used to use an 8 1/4 skil worm drive but this little guy is the
'Cats Meow'

Need To Rest
Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I think I bought my Skil worm drive in 1970 and like you said goes through anything.When I was building my house I'd pipe clamp 5 sheets of plywood for the gusset plates for the roof trusses and like butter. Sometimes you don't need that HP and this SawBoss amazed me,till then I was addicted to that wormdrive.
My wife bought it for me a few years back on my birthday...better than something to wear.

Later
Rich

·
Il bambino e un cani
3,363 Posts
Bridge looks great with the quad sitting on it. Keep those laser reference marks and check it every year. Looks plenty rigid.
I'd be proud to have that on my piece of land...but my little creek just required a couple of culverts and some fill.
But then I gotta drive a 7,000 lb tractor over it :)

Done any log skidding with your quad? The other day I drug out a 20' log that had to be 500 lbs like it wasn't there. And that's my little Suzuki 250 4WD. I've had it a year....it's got 85 miles on it, and 85 hours on the clock...should give an idea the type of things it's been used for :) Man what versitile little workhorses those quads are.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Bridge Update

Well I got my brother to carve out a couple plates for my bridge, he was able to appropriate some 1/8" stainless material . Looking at them in the shop I thought they were a tad FUGLY. So I dressed them up a little before I bolted them in place. I did run out of washers and I was a couple nuts short, but the weather wasn't too brutal and I wanted to get this out of the way.
Next week I'm going in to have shoulder surgery, fellow has to get in there with pop rivets and cable ties to secure my superspinitas (? spelling ? ) ligament. He says it's a slow and long recovery , on the plus side he also does the pitchers for the Cubs ( hope that's a good thing ).
Wish me luck hope I'm healed when riding time comes.

Later
Rich

Attachments

·
Tirone is my middle name
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
ZOMBIE TIME.........to any and all of you who contributed THANKS........if you’re interested here is my first bridge project today . It took not one but two trees to kill it. At 73 I’ll be a little on the slow side rebuilding.......didn’t die with a whimper.

Rich

Attachments

61 - 76 of 76 Posts